Author Topic: Officer shot by gun kept under pillow  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Turk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Officer shot by gun kept under pillow
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:05:14 AM »
I find this article very interesting and would really like to know what manufacturer/model of handgun.  This may the 1st occurrence in history of a gun going off by its self.  ::)  I really like this part of the article.   
She apparently sleeps with a weapon under her pillow, and somehow it discharged.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_on_fe_st/odd_officer_pillow_shot

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Officer shot by gun kept under pillow
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:37:22 AM »
Had to have been in single action, whatever it was.  I can't think of a way a double action could be fired (unless it had an extremely weak hammer spring)  in those circumstances.  That is why I keep mine under the matress, so it is up against something semi-firm, and wont be moved around and have the chance of something like this happening.  Plus you never know about a bad toss or turn during the night. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:44:14 AM »
If there was a round in the chamber, with the hammer cocked and safety on. She could have hit the safety and then hit the trigger.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 05:16:06 AM »
Me thinks we're not getting the complete story here----------------! Can't help but think that the pistol might have had a little assistance going off.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 05:54:57 AM »
I bet it was one of those guns the gun control people talk about , you know the ones that load them selves and shoot people !
There was a story out a few years back where a lady shot herself , when she confused her nose spray and a 357 mag. !
What idiot would sleep with a loaded gun under the pillow ? If the area is that bad forget sleeping !
and would it not be better to have the gun in a place it would not be easy to move it in your sleep , wouldn't want to reach for it and not find it !
and there is a very thin line between accident and stupidity !
its like a guy i knew , rode around with a loaded gun in the window rack in his pick up , yep it went off , twice , cause Mr. genius slid the trigger guard over one of the cradles for the gun ! to keep it from sliding around !My rule , never pass a truck with a gun in the rack on the side with the muzzle on it ! or sleep with a lady who keeps a gun under the pillow !
nose spray is up to you ! but i advise to check chamber before getting a squirt !

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 05:55:14 AM »
I have to agree with Salvage...............It has always been my opinion, "there is no such thing as an accident,  things like this happen because someone failed to act properly, or done something stupid.'  that ain't no accident!  There is more here that is being said.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 06:48:47 AM »
And if you keep a cocked gun under your pillow, you are an idiot.  I have a bullet in the chamber of mine, but the hammer is always down. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 07:20:19 AM »
i have one in mine also but it ain't under my pillow !
and hammer down on a loaded chamber could be safe or unsafe , depends on make and mod.
the reason i feel the way i do is it makes sense to have to make a move other than grabbing the gun with one move , like opening a drawer or unsnapping a holster etc. a safety thing ! It might have kept the lady in question from her shooting , or the nose spray lady . If you are comfortable with a gun under the pillow go for it , you have every right to your methods and i will defend your right , just  let me have mine !
but you must agree the under the pillow method must not be for everyone as indicated by this post !

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 07:53:56 AM »
I'm not a fan of the under the pillow method in the first place.  I just think of how many kids I have seen jump on beds, how many times ive fallen back on my bed and my head hits the pillow.  It's good to know that all there is going to be there is soft matress, and then farther down is my protection, away from where it is going to be "accidentaly" (stupidly) discharged. 

For that same reason is why I keep my room locked, because the gun itself isnt locked, because something could happen. 

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
I screwed a holster to the back of my nightstand ;D
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:11:19 AM »
When we sleep it is not without moving around, thinking (dreaming), making moves, doing things.
Who knows what we do at night, when asleep.
I have, in the past, walked in my sleep, eyes wide open, talking---not being conscious.
Under the pillow seems too be uncomfortable, at best, and unsafe, to be sure.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 02:28:16 AM »
When you first wake up your mind might not be 100% at first , this was proved to me a few years back ! We live where there are alot of snakes ! since April we have killed 3 copperheads with in 10 feet of our house ! Well a few years back i get a nice sig with nite sights , the day before i had killed a copperhead that was 43 inches long ! ( biggest so far ) any way i lay the gun on my night stand and go to sleep , about 4 hours later i wake up and see snake eyes looking me in the face ! Wife is still touchy about it ! she was in the way when i started backing up ! so a days events , a dream , what ever can influence your first thoughts when waking !

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 04:57:24 PM »
I screwed a holster to the back of my nightstand ;D

My kind of man. ;D I like that logic. ;D

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 07:40:13 AM »
Years ago I kept a little 357 under my pillow, and my girlfriend had a little dog that liked to "Dig" in the sheets and blankets.  Reached under the pillow for the gun one morning to lock it up, first thing I hit was the trigger, and it fired.  The dog had apparently cocked the hammer, so I decided to keep a 40 auto in the bed after that!  The bullet apparently missed my crotch by a foot, and put a nice hole in a dresser behind me.  I later shaved the hammer spur off the gun, so it couldn't be cocked. 

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 07:47:37 AM »
Why would one think that it would have to be cocked? A Glock pistol is dangerous to carry inside the waist band without a holster when you are wide awake. It is not hard to believe that the same type of pistol could have easily have snagged on a sheet or pillow case and discharged.
I have never endorsed sleeping with a handgun anyway. A rifle perhaps.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »
A stock Glock trigger is not that easy to manipulate. I have difficulty imagining how it would be possible to hang a bedsheet on the trigger in such a way to fire the gun. I maintain it was a finger that fired that pistol! If I am in a place that is so dangerous that I need a weapon in bed with me, I won't be sleeping much anyway.
Savage

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 03:56:22 PM »
A stock Glock trigger is not that easy to manipulate. I have difficulty imagining how it would be possible to hang a bedsheet on the trigger in such a way to fire the gun. I maintain it was a finger that fired that pistol! If I am in a place that is so dangerous that I need a weapon in bed with me, I won't be sleeping much anyway.
Savage

I don't have difficulty in agreeing with you on the practice of sleeping with a pistol under the pillow, as I have been told I have post tramatic syndrome and some of my dreams of the past are quite graffic, and could lead to pulling a trigger in my sleep, should a gun come to hand while in that condition. And I also would not argue that perhaps a finger did pull the trigger. It would not be the first time a police officer told the truth in the light most favorable to their self. However, being a Glock armorer, trained and certified by Glock, and working on Glock in the past, I CAN see a Glock trigger being snagged on a wrinkled piece of bedding. There is nothing unbelievabel about that at all.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »
I have enough trouble finding a comfortable pillow without putting something that big and hard under it. I keep a semi-auto beside the bed with an empty chamber. My wife will make darn sure I'm awake in plenty of time to load one in the chamber before someone can break in.

In a footnote to SHOOTALLS experience my oldest niece's first husband pulled a loaded Winchester 94 30-30 out of his pickup gunrack by the barrel. She became an instant widow.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 10:31:31 AM »
Dee i agree about the Glock ! I have a friend who carries a Glock 24/7 in his bibs , won't load the chamber , said he has pulled it out many times and checked it and the trigger was pulled ! I shower him how to catch the rear sight on his pocket or other suitable item to cycle it with one hand ! AS a side this old boy did a Glock test , carried it in that pocket for over a year , never cleaned it , oiled it or any thing ,they won't rust but will turn color a bit ! anyway he pulled the trigger and it was already released , went to cycle it and it was frozen shut from grime , dirt , sweat etc. locked it in a vise and knocked open with a hammer , loaded it and emptied the mag that had been in the gun , good gun , really good ammo !
oldandslow , sorry to hear that !

Offline tomzuki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »
Sleep with a shotgun!!!!!
Tomzuki

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 10:06:45 PM »
I sleep with my hand under my pillow. It wouldn't be wise to have anything else under there!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Prebanpaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 03:26:11 AM »
LOL,  SOMETIMES I READ THESE THREADS AND GET A CHUCKLE.  I HAVE CARRIED MY GLOCK 36 FOR THREE YEARS CCW AND YET TO HAVE THE TRIGGER PULLED ON MINE.  THE GUY THAT STATED THAT HIS FRIEND CARRIES HIS WITH NO ROUND IN IT.  WHY CARRY IT, WHEN YOU NEED IT YOU WONT BE ABLE TO USE IT.  I HAVE THROWN MINE ACROSS MY GUN STORE, SHOT COUPLE THOUSAND ROUNDS THRU IT WITH OUT CLEANING ANY THING BUT THE FEED RAMP, AND THE TRIGGER HAS NEVER RELEASE WITH OUT ME PULLING ON THE TRIGGER. AND I SLEEP WITH IT NEXT TO MY BED.   

TO ALL OF YOU THAT IT WAS NOT OBVIOUS,  THE LADY PULLED THE TRIGGER.  IT DID NOT ACCIDENT LY GO OFF. THE DUMB B**** PULLED THE TRIGGER.   
LUCK when preperation meets opportunity.

Offline Dee

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 03:44:53 AM »
Interesting the reference to the female officer as DUMB B****, coming from the same DUMB something or the other, that ADMITTS to throwing his Glock across his gun store. What interesting behavior.
As prebanpaul says, sometimes I too read these threads and get a chucklle. Folks like Prebanpaul are usually the ones that provide them (chuckles), with their superior intellect on pistol safety, carrying, and handling. ;)

On another note SHOOTALL, I do not recommend snagging the plastic rear sight on a Glock to cycle a round into the chamber. One could wind up without a rear sight.
I have taught this method using a firefight scenario, where a weapon has been shot dry, and the function of the off hand has been disabled, but the edge of the slide would be better.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 03:57:19 AM »
thanks DEE , thats the class i learned it also , i hate those plastic sights and switched mine to nite sights ! i will pass on your advice !
maybe we are on to something , glock indoor football !

Offline Savage

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 07:14:38 AM »
I CAN see a Glock trigger being snagged on a wrinkled piece of bedding. There is nothing unbelievabel about that at all.

Didn't say unbelievable, I said hard to believe, like kinda hard to believe anyone would throw their pistol across a room.
Just performed a very (un) scientific test. I took a stock Glock 22, with a tac light mounted on the rail. Put a rag thru the trigger guard of the unloaded pistol, and pressed down on a digital bathroom scale, (tac light in contact with the scale) with the ends of the rag tied around a chair rung. It took 29-32 pounds of pressure on the scale to trip the trigger. In reality it probably took more due to the stretch in the material. What does that prove? Maybe nothing. Or maybe, you are more likely to be struck by lightning than to hang a Glock trigger on a bed sheet and fire it.
Savage

Offline Dee

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 07:19:48 AM »
I also performed an accidental discharge test very simular to yours on a glock. I tied a nylon rope around the trigger, with the other end to my wife's poodle's tail. Twenty one waggs of the tail were accomplished before the Glock went off and killed the cat. Oh well. ;)

What SEEMS like good gun safety to some, TERRIFIES others. Even Glock warns not to carry the pistol in a pocket or inside the waist band without a holster. One must do what one thinks is right, and be willing to suffer the consequences, whether they be good or bad.

Offline Savage

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 07:24:12 AM »
At least you're thinking!! I'd try that one myself, but our Min Pins don't have tails. :)
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 02:17:41 AM »
I would try it with my lab , but she won't have anything to do with a plastic gun , colt dog all the way , said she likes a frame mounted safety , i load it for him and he can lick the safty off better than racking a slide on a glock !
guess i miss the point , i would hope anyone who has a glock knows to protect the trigger from contact with anything unless you wish to fire it ,
 has anyone contacted glock to see if they authorize the sleeping with of their products , it may be ok to sleep with the full size guns but not the small ones ( baby glocks are a no/no ! ) !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 07:39:57 AM »
I have a 1934 beratta and it loaded and i keep it under my  pillow when i go camping. I don't have the safety on but there no round in the camber but there a full mag in it. I had a few rifles that had no or a bad safe so i learn never to load or have a round in the camber unless i want to fire. If i hear something i just cock it and i am ready to go.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 08:05:28 PM »
She's just glad no body got it on tape like the DEA agent who shot himself in the foot!

The DEA agent, who calls himself "the best undercover agent in the DEA," is now trying to sue the agency for releasing the video to the public. His life and career are now ruined because he looks like an idiot. Looks . . . ?

www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."