Author Topic: FINALLY GOT MY ENCORE PUT TOGETHER  (Read 770 times)

Offline HEAD0001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
FINALLY GOT MY ENCORE PUT TOGETHER
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
I finally got my Encore Varmint Rig put together.  I did my second trip to the range today.  I was disappointed with my first trip.  I was showing pressure problems where I thought I would not have any.  I must have had the bullets a little too long or too much powder?  Not sure which one.

Rifle is a 6.5X284 done by MGM.  Match chamber, LH thumbhole stock, MGM muzzle break, a trigger that was done by Bellm.  The rifle turned out quite nice, but I was disappointed by my first groups.  I changed a couple of things.  I backed the bullets .025 off the lands, lowered the powder charge by four grains, and backed off the aggressive cleaning regiment.  I am not sure which factor changed the groups, but I could cover the group up with a dime and not see any torn paper(3 shots).  Tom.

Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline encore3006

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Re: FINALLY GOT MY ENCORE PUT TOGETHER
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:19:42 PM »
Very nice setup ! 

I am curious about your load; powder, charge, and bullet. I need to work on my 6.5x284. I put it aside to work on other projects. One being the 22-250 which I discovered did very well by backing down on the charge. Thanks.

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 06:58:57 PM »
56.0 grains of N-165
Lapua 108 grain Scenar bullet
CCI-BR Primers
Lapua brass-with Sinclair 26 caliber mandrel
I backed the bullet .025 off the lands.  This load shot inside a dime with a three shot group at 100 yards.

I loaded 60 grains of N-165 with a 120 grain Nosler BT.  I set the bullet out to touch the lands.  The load shot terrible, and showed pressure problems.  Tom.

RIP Tom.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 02:38:03 AM »
A very nice looking gun!!!

Offline californiahunter93

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 04:53:24 PM »
Nice looking gun. Is that stock from the TC custom shop and what kind of scope rings and base are you using?

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 05:59:22 PM »
The stock came from a run of special ML's that TC made.  EABCO is currently selling a run of the LH Thumbhole's.  I ordered one of them.  The bases and rings are Warne.  I prefer them for three reasons.  I think they are very strong, they line up easily, and they have the longest distance between the rings of any I could find.  I think the longer distance makes them stronger, looks better, balances the scope better, and gives more scope adjustment.   The longer base in the picture is a Warne.  The shorter base is a Leupold.  Tom.

RIP Tom.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 06:23:36 PM »
What kind of scope do you have mounted on that rifle and how much was the scope.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 06:34:53 PM »
Thanks for the pics. I am now really considering one of the thumb hole stocks I just saw on eabco.

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »
It is a Zeiss Conquest 6.5X20.  I have Leupold LR's, but I like this Zeiss more.  The clarity seems better to me than any of my Leupold's.  And almost as good as my Swarovski's.  However I do not believe the scope track's as good as my Swarovski's, but it tracks as good as a Leupold.  Tom.

RIP Tom.