Author Topic: Pro Hunter Barrel/Forend??  (Read 773 times)

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
Pro Hunter Barrel/Forend??
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:40:36 AM »
Its been a while since I bought an Encore barrel and I decided its time to add a new one to the collection.  I have not really looked at the pro hunter barrels in person but I'm pretty sure that is what I will buy in a 280 rem.  My question is in regard to the forend.  From what I have read pro hunter barrels require a pro hunter forend.  What is different about the forends?  Is it the hole spacing, or a contour issue, or both?  I have a few forends around here and I'd like to use one of them if it would be possible to modify it to work on the pro hunter barrel. 

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Pro Hunter Barrel/Forend??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 03:08:56 AM »
oneshotonekill
I have 2 regular Encore's and 1 Encore ProHunter and the spacing on all 3 is the same, 6 inches!

I haven't tried a regular forend on the ProHunter, or vise-versa, but I suspect that the only difference would be if the contour of the barrel was different from one to the other.

BTW:  My ProHunter is a 280 rifle.
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline oneshotonekill

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 03:21:03 AM »
Chuck,

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll have to buy the barrel and see if I can get one of my forends to work.

How do you like the 280 pro hunter? 

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »
oneshotonekill
I love the  ProHunter.

I only have 40 rounds through it.

Now, I'm going to try and refine things a little.

I just know that this will be a very accurate rifle.
- - - - - - - - - - -
I've got a good supply of Accurate MRP (3100) powder and I think I'll start out with about 52-53 grains of powder and work up to say 55 grains (the max listed is 57.0) and see how it does.  This will be pushing a 140 grain Rem Core Lokt bullet.

Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Chris Potts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:30:58 PM »
I haven't tried to stick a regular forend on a prohunter barrel.  My only prohunter barrel is the muzzel loader.  I do have a prohunder forend on a factory heavy 223.  I had a regular forend on the 223 while I was waiting for the gun shop to get in the prohunter forends.  The barrel fit with the two different forends seemed to be the same.  This would lead me to believe that you could use the standard forend on a prohunter barrel.

Chris

Offline REH

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this bump. I just put a Pro Hunter barrel on an Encore frame. Thought I had a problem, but after looking at the forearm I noticed a very thin piece of plastic in the forearm. I ran a center punch through the screw holes to clear the and had no problems mounting the forearm after that. I didn't open the holes up but just cleared the holes out. After that it mounted just fine.
It's time for THE SILENT MAJORITY to quit being silent!!

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 05:42:31 PM »
 MY STD 24" contour forend doesn't fit my new 460 pro hunter barrel very well the barrel channel is neither deep enough nor quite wide enough to fit properly.

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 08:10:19 AM »
1shot1kill, PM  guru Redhawk, I'm sure he would know what is interchangable. I do believe he has both the old style and the new PH. I'm not sure myself but I believe that for the centerfire regular (not bull or heavy) barrels that they will swap out.

Offline oneshotonekill

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 06:43:51 AM »
MY STD 24" contour forend doesn't fit my new 460 pro hunter barrel very well the barrel channel is neither deep enough nor quite wide enough to fit properly.

I believe the 460 and 500 prohunters are katahdin barrels that require a special forend.

I got a prohunter barrel the other day and tried 2 of my synthetic standard forends on it and they both fit fine.  So I guess the synthetics from the 24 and 26" barrels will interchange with the 28" prohunters.  Not sure about the wood forends but the synthetics worked.  Thanks for the info guys.

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 07:01:19 AM »
oneshot, Did ya get the .280

Offline oneshotonekill

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 01:13:28 PM »
oneshot, Did ya get the .280

Not yet, I found a pretty good deal on a 7-08 so I bought it.  I'll get a 280 before too long, I love that caliber for some reason.  I have a 26" 280 barrel on a handi rifle and its a fun gun to shoot.  Some of the loads I've been working up for that barrel are running in 7mag territory with less powder and a lot less recoil.  I wonder how much difference the 28" barrel would make?