Author Topic: carry calibers  (Read 2693 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
carry calibers
« on: June 15, 2007, 07:02:07 AM »
what is a pretty good cal with good stopping power for CC? Like is the 38 or a 40s&W or a 45acp.  I looking at a gun for a friend and he does not know much about guns, so i thinking a 38 Off Duty Charter Arms

.38 Special +P
Concealed Double Action Hammer
Snag-free Operation
2" barrel
5-Shot 

or a Patriot 45
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: carry calibers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:07:21 AM »
I think a 38 special is more than adequate for cc. I carry one. If your friend knows little about guns I would suggest a 38sp. revolver over an auto in any caliber. Automatics require a certain amount of knowledge about how to operate that particular gun. A good revolver just needs to be pointed and the trigger pulled. When it is called on to shoot, it shoots. Plus you don't have to know much about guns to keep one operating. Charter Arms makes a pretty good revolver.  Now if your friend is someone who loves to shoot at the range and knows guns, then 9mm, 40,10mm, and 45 autos are the "gotta have" weapons. My opinion.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 06:21:56 AM »
thanks, I know some about guns but i ask about CCW guns because i never had one or cairred one. But i know that  revolvers are the best low cost guns you can get.  But on paper it looks like the 38 special  is not that powerful. Can it stop a person 75% of the time?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
158 grain +P, is the top rated load in  38 SPEC.  Make sure your revolver is rated for it, though, and shoot some to see if you can manage the recoil.  It can be a bit snappy in a light weight CCW revolver.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:11:28 AM »
A friend ran the WV State Police range for several years.  He told me it takes more time to train a person with a semi-auto handgun than a revolver.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »
jamalkdog87, to answer you question, yes the Charter Arms 38 Special has been and is being used for ccw. The question as to the stopping power of the 38, those that like to quantify the various rounds the 38 Special 158gr lswc round is always around 70-74% in the one round " stop" arena.MY answer to the one round stop, shoot more than one round  myh2c   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 07:26:52 AM »
All right thanks. I did find some more info and i asked a cop and the 38Special Is the go to gun for CC. He , the cop, carry one for a back-up gun.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »
Our Sheriff's Dept. carries S&W 642's. Standard issue for back-up.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 01:27:19 PM »
do you need a Concealed  Hammer  on a small revolver? I been asking around and some say yeah others says no. Someone said if carry as a pocket gun in a pocket then no(like the model 60) also there a Off Duty Charter Arms for 320$     and a MODEL 85 form Taurus for 219$>      which one is a better buy.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 04:04:52 PM »
If it were me I would opt for the concealed hammer revolver.I carry a Taurus 650CIA and have found it to be entirely reliable and a hoot to shoot with the right load . I carry it in a pocket holster .      Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 09:19:17 AM »
Jamaldog87,

I would have to say the Taurus 85 would be the better buy. I had one and it was great. I preferred the wooden grips though because the Pachs were too small for my hand.

Navylawdog

Offline lucky guy

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »
I don't disagree with the 38+p, but why not just buy a 357.  You can still shoot the 38+p loads, but if you want to you can also move up to the 357 in the 125 gr jhp. 

I went through the same process and ended up with a ruger 101 3" revolver in 357. Decent plinker in addition to giving you alot of flexibility on the rounds you shoot.

Don't forget sights.  Check out the CPC laser grips, can't beat them for point and shoot without having to keep the gun raised to keep your eyes aligned with the sighting plane. 

Offline TGFOGAL

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 09:52:26 AM »
The hammer can catch on the pocket when taking it out fast.
If fired from inside a coat pocket the hammer can catch on the pocket.

Offline J-Train

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 03:48:37 AM »
My first concealed carry pistol was a Taurus Model 85, concealed hammer in 38 special.  It's still my only real ccw.  I have a 1911 and a S&W .357, but they're too large for pocket carry.  The stainless Taurus in a pocket holster is a great buy, reliable, easy to carry.  I  highly recommend that you go with the concealed hammer model for pocket carry. My only complaint would be that it's a bit heavy in stainless, but you pay a lot more for the lightweight materials.

As for ammo, practice a lot with cheap, target wadcutters.  Low recoil. Shoot a few of the +P to get a feel for them, but realize that if you have to use the gun in an emergency, you probably won't notice or worry about the recoil.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 02:33:35 PM »
I was trying out this pocket carry thing with a model 351PD with the trigger guard removed. I was were cargo pants and in both the right and left front pockets and it works very well but in the back it catches. If i carry it this way i would have it in the front.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 07:16:22 AM »
i am done with that man and his gun. He said  he wants a GLOCK 30  or a BERSA THUNDER .380 and he only has 350$ ???  well if he wants a auto then get it. I know BERSA  guns and there not very good. They jam a lot, I saw one at the store new just out of the box and the mag would not eject out and the side would not come back. I would not trust my life to a gun like that. I am moveing on. I told him you can't get a good auto for 350(there some used one but he wants new) and just get a revolver but he said there no safe and the kids would get it.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 10:53:32 AM »
jamaldog87,

What would be wrong with the S&W sigma? They are reliable gun made by a big name company and they are around $300 here.

Navylawdog

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 11:00:06 AM »
there very S&W non revolver guns at gun stores around here. There all kinds of Full-auto guns and guns in the 400+ range. There used autos the are 350 or less but i have never seen the S&W sigma around these parts.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 10:21:26 PM »
do you need a Concealed  Hammer  on a small revolver? I been asking around and some say yeah others says no. Someone said if carry as a pocket gun in a pocket then no(like the model 60) also there a Off Duty Charter Arms for 320$ and a MODEL 85 form Taurus for 219$ which one is a better buy.

I wouldn't waste my money on either one. If you want a concealed hammer .38+P get a Smith and Wesson 442, or 638. Don't buy crap. It's your life on the line. How much is your life worth?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 04:09:44 PM »
 If your friend has little or no experience with firearm a revolver is the way to go!  A SP101  Ruger  is a great first gun get the 357 Mag 2 1/4" That way when he gets good with it he can move up to the more potent 357 Mag.
One shot , One Kill

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 01:24:22 AM »
I recently picked up a S&W 637 which I like very much indeed and will probably have the hammer bobbed off since I couldn't locate a 642

Both are 38 plus P rated

Carry of either one of these is a charm, but what I couldn't understand is that Taurus airweight was even priced higher than my 637 that I picked up for $399.99

Now in your selection of what you carry, I would wear something that you most commonly wear during the hottest days of summer, see how well it conceals right there in front of the sales people.  Tell them you got to see how well it conceals etc.  I used to be a Semi Auto guy all the way carrying Glocks in 27, 23, 19, 17 and 22 and found bulk where I wanted slimness and not the battle of the buldge.  Then weight was a big factor, so when I went back to wheel guns I got a Taurus 44C in .44 Mag and with its 2" barrel it hides real well.  But the weight was less desiring as was the weight I noticed with the Taurus 605 and 85 for pocket carry... the Airweight for CC just fit the bill.  But I decided I wasn't going to fool around with Taurus any longer, I set out for AMERICAN MADE period and the S&W's won out even over a Ruger SP101 which is a nice gun in its own right, problably one of the strongest made out there. 

But I didn't need strength for high power loads or the trail as the Taurus 44C will fill that duty.  When I first looked at the S&W 637 the guy behind the counter says, "Its ONLY a .38 man"  I looked at him and asked, "Whould you stand in front of it?"

He looked surprized at my remark... but I told him that just because its a .38 Spl doesn't mean it will not fill the bill as a good solid CC gun, and work when needed... as shot placement is the key to putting down and ending the fight if need be.

So see what fits your hand etc, as it has to fit you and your needs not anyone elses.

Over 25 yrs ago a Smith & Wesson mod 19 was my first purchase, and my duty gun was a model 10 I believe, and was also just a .38 Spl in a 4" barrel with no rear sight which was standard issue for Air Force AP's at the time (1974 - 1976)

I just got smart and came back full circle.

Offline randyb

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »
I don't disagree with the 38+p, but why not just buy a 357.  You can still shoot the 38+p loads, but if you want to you can also move up to the 357 in the 125 gr jhp. 

I went through the same process and ended up with a ruger 101 3" revolver in 357. Decent plinker in addition to giving you alot of flexibility on the rounds you shoot.

Exactly. 
A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 11:01:51 AM »
the 38 vs 357 j frames , the 357 is larger , size might matter ?
that was one reason the 38's were kept in the line up !
and not many will wish to shoot a 357 in a light weight !
now will a 38+p work 75% ? i guess you mean 1 shot stop ? look at it this way , if you use your gun in self defense , in most cases it will be taken from you , and you will most likely never get it back ! So go ahead and shoot more than once it might be the last time ya get to shoot it !
Seriously if you need to defend yourself , don't stop shooting until the threat stops being a threat ! Do less and you might look like you were not in fear of your life and didn't really need to shoot !
I read with interest about the auto being harder to train , since most if not all scores went up when police changed from revolver to auto !
the 38 snubie is a hateful gun to master no matter the maker ! for most its a close range proposition , a good one ! as far as cheap , I get a kick out of the guy who buys life and car insurance , a fire ext. , smoke det. , CO2 alarm and dog all to protect himself then wants to save a buck on his really only LAST DITCH effort to save himself and loved ones !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 11:18:39 PM »
 Depending on weather and situation, I carry either a Hi-Power 9mm or my 642 Smith. Been known to carry both, the 38 in a DeSantis Nemesis inside front pocket holster.  I have no confidense in a 380 or smaller, 9MM with plus P 124 jhp's will do the job, there are several 38 loads that should work.  As high performance loads are hard to find in 380 or smaller, I don't trust their effectiveness.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 09:13:15 AM »
i have hear that small 38s(like the Scandium AirLight® Series, Airweight) are very bad on your risk and i also hear that you can only fire maybe 3 shots before it's too much(i hear this in guns&ammo). I would get a Star Model 205 Ultrastar or the firestar in 40s&W.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 09:35:42 AM »
my airweight hasn't been a problem its 38 +P rated and that's what i use in it ! i would think if a 38spl. was to much for your wrist you would be to limp wrist-ed to shoot an auto and achieve 100 % reliability with it ! not making insult just stating an opinion !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 07:01:42 AM »
i am going by what i have hear.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 07:09:14 AM »
A 12oz gun with full power 357's would be a handful , not to mention the flash in a short bbl. but with 38 spl it is ok !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 09:08:53 AM »
maybe that what they were talking about in G&A. he did fire a Scandium alloy gun in 357mag and said it a bad idea to do this(the Weight Empty is only 12 oz. ) but  any charter firearm, Taurus, eaacorp, Rossi Models R461 will do. all those guns are and has been carry and they all fire and work very well. I have a Beretta 380 model 1958 and it's old but it always fires and has never let me down yeah for hunting. It's better to have a cheap good gun that work when need then to have no gun. also i read that with anygun besides a shotgun you will only get about 50-75% at best and aim is more important.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 09:37:54 AM »
 I read the article and another one along the same lines . I have carried my airweight for years now ( working on second one now ) shoot it often but not alot , every week or so i run 5 rounds thru. it clean it and put in fresh ammo !
It has been a comfort on several occasion's but never fired in self defense ! it is with me where ever it is legal ! i tried a mod 36 and it was to heavy , it sagged in my pocket and printed ( not good ) the light gun does not ! the biggest gun you can shoot is not always the best gun to carry !
when i was Young , just old enough to buy a hand gun i asked the owner of the local gun shop what would be better a colt 45 or a mod 36 , he said the colt in a fight and the mod 36 the rest of the time , he has been proved correct ! i got the new mod 36 for $ 107.00 3in heavy bbl.