Author Topic: BOYD stocks  (Read 9850 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: BOYD stocks
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 05:08:58 PM »
Does someone want to lend me $90.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't take it. I want one so bad and can't afford it right now. Just kidding about the money but I even thought about selling a barrel. I don't want to go there though I Finlay have a good set and all fit my receivers. Just so you know there are a couple that are going for $75.00 and $15.00 shipping on Ebay.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 04:10:49 AM »
Got mine yesterday too sorry no picks yet. It has the standard NEF pad. >:( Not like the picture on the auction.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 07:03:24 AM »
I just bought one Nutmeg and one Forest Camo thumbhole stock this morning.  ;)  Been wanting one for so long that I just figured I might just as well have two. ;D Just wish NEF made a Nutmeg/Cin Huntsman forend to match. :-\
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 07:22:44 AM »
Just wish NEF made a Nutmeg/Cin Huntsman forend to match. :-\
Check this out might be close enough. ;)
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/Handi-rifle%20stocks.htm

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »
The bolt for the Boyd's stocks is a 3/8"-24x2" button socket head cap screw,  a black one is about $1.50 at your local bolt supply, or you can get a stainless for about $9, at least that's what they are here!!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 02:05:38 PM »
Received mine the other day and are quite nice.  No stock bolts however, I'll have to hit the hardware store.  My "camo" one came with the decelerator pad which was a nice plus, however the cinnamon one came with a flat pad (like Quick's pic) which was a little disappointing.  All in all, I'm happy, I'm ending up with too many nice stocks and not enough actions though!
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 02:26:59 PM »
Not enough action....I've been suffering that for too long!!! ::) :o :-\ ;D

Tim

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 11:40:47 AM »
i just drove over to guys shop and bought a pair of nutmeg thumbholes for my ultra varmits. i got one i 22 mag and .243 fluted i ain't got to shoot yet.the nutmeg is a match for h&r cinammon! gunstocks inc. brown/brown would probably be a good match also. if you can hold off on forends till the last of august or first part of september he should have some matching forends.forends should be a nice wide varmint/targret style with finger grooves. he has some mannlicher style forends that woukd certainly make for a differnt looking rifle. take care and have fun!!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
LOL, I bought one tonight too!!!  ;) I really have a problem....

I also bought one of those walnut mannlicher forends too. Trouble is I seem to have 99% heavy barrels and this forend will not work with them!!

I have really been on the fence wanting a 22Hornet handi lately....maybe I should pick one up. you know so I have something to put this forend on. ::)

Did I mention I have a problem......

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 03:56:56 PM »
cw, we all have our crosses to bear!! at least we can,t be put in jail for this addiction!!i have been shooting a 22mag. ultra varmit since the first part of the year. i have had more fun with this rifle than any i think i have ever owned.i hope i can get me a reloading bench going soon so i can try out my 243 fluted. those mannlicher forends are a really tight and straight grained piece of wood aim't they. they have to be good wood for a piece that long. it should make for a differnt looking rifle. should be a nice one tho in 22 hornet. have fun and take care.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 09:04:03 PM »
LOL, I bought one tonight too!!!  ;) I really have a problem....

I also bought one of those walnut mannlicher forends too. Trouble is I seem to have 99% heavy barrels and this forend will not work with them!!

Yeah I bought one from him off eBay a couple of weeks ago for my 30/30 Topper. It absolutely will not fit my SB2 NEF 30/30 barrel. I thought of buying another for my 357 Max but the barrel channel is waaaay to narrow. The barrel on the Max is the same contour as a bull barrel. :( And the hole for the forend screw needs to be drilled and a spacer added so it will fit up against the receiver.... It is just a basic no-frills forend. I am happy with it on the Topper, though I would not suggest anyone buy one unless you have an ultralight barrel to go with it.

This is what it looks like on the Topper. I added a barrel band from a Henry 22 lever action. It is so narrow that I don't think a standard NEF barrel band from the NEF Mannlicher forend will fit unless it is pushed pretty far toward the frame - and that would make it look too goofy in my opinon.  :P

DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2007, 03:30:03 AM »
not a bad looking rifle at all tallyho! the barrel band looks good to.i do i belive the 2 they had finished out were on superlites. a 22 hornet and a 223.take care and have fun.

Offline mattparliament

• A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2007, 03:28:08 PM »
went to Ace hardware which is supposed to have everything  ::) ::) ::), and another hardware store, and there are no bolts to be found in town!  Can somebody lead me on to a source for these please  :-\

Thanks!  ;D

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »
I have been having the same problem nobody has them in stock even the bolt stores. I ended up getting socket head cause thats all they had. Got 14 of them cause they had a $10 min. I'll let you know how it works.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2007, 03:40:43 PM »
Tallyho,
 That looks REALLY good!! I have always liked the mannlicher look!!

Matt,
 Really any good hardware store should stock them........I am lucky enough to have a couple places local to me that has them.
I have to pick up two myself.

If your really desperate, and cannot locate them locally. I'll get them here for ya and send them to you for what it costs me.

I fit my mannilcher forend today. Pretty easy actually. Got the hole drilled and everything looks great. I made it fit my 357 Maxi. (Tapered barrel) I also went back and ordered another Thumbhole in walnut for it as well!!! I am going to hold off on finishing it as I would like to try to match the finish and color of the thumbhole as much as possible. Pics up soon.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mattparliament

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
I tried the hex head bolt and when inserted there was no room left over for the socket  :-\

Matt

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2007, 04:04:59 PM »
BTW, has anyone seen one of these in Walnut?  The pic's I saw where OK....but not spectacular like the description wants you to believe....

The for-end is only nice, no fiddle back. Just nice straight grain walnut.

Just curious...if I am the Guinea pig that's fine too...I'll let you guys know.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline mattparliament

• A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2007, 04:12:37 PM »
Oops

Thanks Tim, PM coming your way.

Matt

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2007, 06:33:14 PM »
cw, the walnut thumbhole i looked at at his shop is similar to the mannlicher forend. a nice tight,straight grained walnut no figure or anything fancy just a good serviceable stock. color was a light brown or natrual walnut. about a match for walnut i have seen on h&r's from the factory. hope this helps.take care and have fun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2007, 12:17:40 AM »
Good news, THANK YOU!!!

CW

PIX of the forend on the 357 MAXI:

Now I just need to wait till the butt stock gets here and I can finish it!!

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2007, 05:05:38 AM »
I tried the hex head bolt and when inserted there was no room left over for the socket
I cut a slot and used a flat head bit and a ratchet it worked. The socket head ones I got are a little long on the head, but I think they will be ok.

Offline mattparliament

• A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2007, 06:11:10 AM »
cowboy~

nice "fix", I like it.

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2007, 06:57:57 AM »
Thanks. I just couldn't stand the wait any more I had to get it on some how. ;) ;D ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2007, 10:41:38 AM »
If anyone wants to order the bolt(s) online, Vancouver Bolt has em for $1.61 each, they charge $6.69 UPS shipping. I won't be making a trip downtown until next week sometime.

Tim

The 3/8"-24 x 2" button socket head cap screws are about ¾ of the way down the drop down.

http://www.vancouverbolt.com/buttoncapbolt.htm

short version of the button socket head cap screw

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2007, 11:19:08 AM »
tim thanks for the info on the stock bolts. i will be going back to berryville in a week or so and will  tell clint it would help a lot of folks out if he would inclued a stock bolt. he seems like as nice a fellar as you quick!! i hope i can get a hold of my wal-mart connection to nite and get me a 17 mach2  handi. i sure have had a lot of fun with my 22 mag so far.if i could figure out how to stop eating for a couple weeks i could get an hmr to!!! oh well!!! take care and have fun!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2007, 11:31:09 AM »
Ask Clint how he shipped my stock, I still haven't got it yet, he said he shipped it last Sunday, if he shipped it parcel post or UPS, it ain't here yet, if he shipped it Priority mail, it should have been here Wednesday. I email him about it and asked how it was shipped, but he didn't tell me, just said it was shipped Sunday. :(

Tim

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »
will do quick!! it will be a couple weeks before i go back over. he is supposed to be getting a few more stocks in. he had some forest camo left but not many. hopefully your stock will show up shortly!! 12 weeks before he gets in another good sized order. ha said he should have some forends by then to. take care and have fun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »
Yes, I hope so, thanks!! :D I sent you a pm on the Sportster. ;)

Tim

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »
quick did you get my last pm with that shop info? take care and have fun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2007, 12:37:58 PM »
Yes, I replied, thx. ;)