Author Topic: Chokes?  (Read 451 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Chokes?
« on: June 16, 2007, 05:41:08 PM »
I will at some point get a shot gun barrel for my SB2 receiver. When I look on H&R site I see all kind of different chokes offered. Can some one explain the difference between chokes? I also see they offer barrels for steel shot. What is the difference there? I want to get a 12 gage barrel for hunting Turkey here in Pa. What would be the best barrel for that and what shot would I use. I did alot of skeet shooting when I was alot younger and was pretty good at it but I have not had a shotgun since I was a kid really. Any help would be appreciated thanks Dale.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Chokes?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 02:36:42 AM »
Choke is the constriction at the end of the barrel that regulates the circumference of the circular pattern produced by the shot as it leaves the muzzle. The the tighter the choke the smaller the pattern (theoretically and with in reasonable limitations). If i were you I'd get a 12 ga TDC barrel. I think it is about the most versatile barrel goin'you can change the chokes to fit you hunting or shooting situation and even get some sights that mount on the rib that when combined with MOD or IC choke make it a pretty decent slug gun. The sights are also good for turkey. Another option is the shorter turkey 24" barrel. I like a longer barrel for most shotgun hunting situations. As for shot size and choke for turkey, 4,5,or 6 for shot and full to xxx full for choke
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:27:49 AM »
I have the 12ga 24" Turkey barrel.  It just has the bead sight on the front.  I used a rifled choke tube last fall to drop a nice 8 point whitetail.  If I had known about the vent rib barrel I would have opted for that so I would have had more options for sights.  I am going to try the epoxy sight option for this year and see how it works.

I use 5 shot turkey loads.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:08:11 PM »
Thanks guys. I also see they offer barrels for steel shot. What is the difference there? What kind of range could I expect for Turkey with the 12 ga TDC barrel? I went to the H&R site is this the barrel you spoke of S03213 12 Ga., 28" Vent rib, Screw-in choke (Mod) $81.00?
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!