Author Topic: Yeeee....Haha....! Now don't that dunk your hat in the creek !!  (Read 906 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
 I finally shot the 45-70. After picking Quick's and others on the forms brains. I bought the syenthithc .45-70 after all your good advice I also bought the 1.5x4.5 Bushnell scope and after waiting a while I got a base and hanner spur got the only set of hrings I could find Anglelocks. When I put it togather I stripped the recessed heads on some of the ring screws. The local gun shop had a couple of spares. I bore sighted it and went to the range this afternoon fearing the worst in Recoil and accuracy (I've never had much luck with guns doing the right thing)
   90 in the shade !
   My first shot was dead zero at 5o yds. At one 100 I hit 1 /12 " high but centered ove the bull I moved up 2 click and fired again dead zero on a 1/2 target dot ! 2" high, now some of the reloading sights say zero at 3" but I didn't. Now, I sat out two mik justgs of water one at 150 another at 175. I shot at the 150 holding on the cap of the jug and missed a little high. Next shot I held center on the jug and hit deaqd center, I wasn't expecting this. Further examination showed I grazed the cap on the first shot. At 175 I again held on the jug cap and busted the jug open. A experienced competative shooter was watching and I told him to shoot the 200 yd gong. He shot and missed low. I asked him where he held and he said dead center. I held along the top of the 12" gong like on a bucks back and smacked it a little low left but it would have been a killing shot on a deer's chest. I wasn't expecting this. I was shooting 300 grn Winchester factory loads, no idea what the vel. is in the 22" bbl or really how high I should sight in at 100 yds. I never tried to shoot for a group, I'm only interested in hunting accuracy.
     In a short scession I learned a lot. First, the recoil I feared was non existant ! a real pussycat. Second, it is accurate enough to make a sure killing shot on a deer to 175 yds. The stock is still too long for me, especially when I have hunting garments on ( was shooting in a T shirt  and not much if any recoil) Third I'm not worried about the trigger, never noticed it being heavy at all while shooting. On the way home I begian thinking maybe I should get another bbl so I can carry it in my truck for coyotes when scputing around the back 40. What caliber ?
     I know one short scession firing 10 shots doesn't mean anything but I was impressed. Oh the horror stories I could tell about trying to get guns to shoot right
      Now I'm going to try to shorten the stock and thanks to you guys on the forum I have a good idea how to do it.
      THANKS to all the guys on the forum that helped me. I got the right gun I need for my purpose of making a primitative weapon hunt in Ms. next Dec. but I now have more questions about vel. of factory loads in my bbl. how to duplicate them, what powder and could I kick it up a little in vel. ? I was really afraid to shoot this rifle after my experiences with a marlin 95 in .45-70 I had it loaded to the gills and it broke my glasses and hit me between the eyes several times giving me a mild concussion even when shooting off hand. I think you may have me hooked, What cal should the next bbl be? I want something flat shooting,accurate and powerful enough for coyotes and an ocassional deer. I think I will leave  my fancy rifles(expensive rifles ) in the closet and haul a H@R in my truck after all it is very handi !

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
Re: Yeeee....Haha....! Now don't that dunk your hat in the creek !!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »
 Sorry about the spelling . It's  late and I'm tired. Maybe you can interpert what I'm saying.  ;D

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
Not a problem with you spelling I know I would be dead if not for spell check.Than ks for the  report the 45-70's are a hoot.If I was going to go for a combination coyote and deer barrel I would choose the 243 Win.I have had goods luck with the two I have, using factory Remington and handloads   hth   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »
Good shooting. the recoil is more of a shove than a kick. awsome caliber
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »
Do you want to stick with open sights on the 2nd barrel?
If so, your choices include .22 hornet, 30-30, a host of pistol calibers (.357 is always fun) and the youth superlight barrels (.22 hornet, .223, and .243)
If you handload, I think a 30-30, reamed to 30-30AI,  would make a great gun to keep in the truck rack.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:37:03 AM »
 45/70 works real good on ground hogs! Ain't had one complain, yet! Don't see why it wouldn't work on "yotes. ( at least untill ya get another rifle)   Woodbutcher

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 06:22:04 AM »
I would think a 243 or 25-06 should fill your bill. A 243 if you do not want to hand load and 25-06 if you do. Both are excellent combination Varmint/deer rounds. There are lots of other choices as has been pointed out. Do what tickles your fancy. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 07:01:32 AM »
If you have that accuracy then why even bother getting another caliber?You are going to shoot something and worry about the size of the hole you left in it?Another caliber might not shoot half as good considering the finicky nature of Handis.Stick with what works!You have a winning combination there.Both rifle and ammunition.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 08:22:46 AM »
I would really like a .243 but I've hears they cause a lot of problems in the Handi ? I have a dandy Browning  in .243 and loadfor it but it's just too nice to take in the woods or bounce it around in the back seat of my pick-up or on my 4 wheeler.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 08:33:47 AM »
The only 243 Handi that has a bad reputation is the Superlight, but look at Stimpy's and Howard NZ's range reports on their Superlights and that poor reputation seems in doubt, just takes the right load and don't shoot em hot to make em work well. Both of my Ultra's shot very well out of the box with cheap(if there is such a thing anymore!!) factroy ammo. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »
I'd check with Stimpy first on what the color of his super light is as that may have more to do with it's accuracy than his load does. ;D ;D ;D Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 03:53:23 PM »
 If I send the handi frame in for a new barrel, will it still fit the forearm of the .45-70 ? Would the bull bbl. 243 ? I shot up my Win. 300 grn factory loads and they only thing available here is Remington 300 grn is there much difference in how they shoot ?
   Going to show a guy some places to hunt wild hogs tomorrow, guess what I'm taking, my new .45-70 it's very handi on my 4 wheeler.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »
Those 300gr JHP Super-X Winchester stuff shoots good for sure in a Handi.  Thats all I use in my Handi, my BC's get handloads.  When I first sighted in my Handi, all I ever made were two adjustments - one elevation, one windage.   That was 2 years ago..  and it still shoots 50, 100 and 150yrd clover leafs all day long with that ammo.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 02:16:31 AM »
45-70 is the best choice in a handi iffin ya ask me ;)
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!