Author Topic: Weighing down a stock.  (Read 674 times)

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Weighing down a stock.
« on: June 16, 2007, 09:44:25 PM »
Well guys, I forgot to tell you but about 2 weeks ago i headed up to Medicine Bow Wy. to shoot some pdogs and before i left i loaded up 450 rds and added some weight to the stock. I took some old lead shot laying around from my days of competative shotgun shooting/ then reloading and dumped in as much as the stock could hold. WOW! did it ever add some weight! it was not fun to tote around the dog town but I know for a fact that I was much more stable. It was almoast as if i was shooting off of a bench! needless to say that about 400 dogs went flying in the air and a not so lucky jackrabbit! I was sure glad that i decided to fillerup. have any of you out ther ever done such a thing? just curious. I would love to find a way to give the front of the rifle some weight but havnt come up with many conveinient and nonstressing (on the lug) ways. Ok, nough rambling. leme haveit. Hank.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Weighing down a stock.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 03:58:25 AM »
Henry1

Adding weight to the butt stock has been a trick for the heavy hitters like the 45/70 and 450 Marlin for quite awhile to cut down on recoil , there is no real good way to add weight to the forarm though , other than a Choate varmint forarm & bi-pod , any more and you chance breaking off the lug .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 05:47:57 AM »
That is what I had planned on doing next yr even while shooting of a bench not so much worried about accuracy as the guns shot great but to keep some of the shock off the scope so that I can see them dogs explode when bullet hits them. Kurt ;D 8)
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »
lol! thats exactly my thought too! I did however come up with an okay working system for the forend. I had my mom make me a sand bag, then split the diference(as it wasnt filled up all the way) over the barrel. it seemed to work real good on the bipod. but i would much rather be sitting on a bench but that didnt happen much and i wasnt disapointed! Any body know if the BC has a hollow stock? I doubt it but it makes me think.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:12:05 AM »
   I used to have an older (80s) H&R tracker 12 ga slug gun (wooden stock)..as I got older, it seemed to kick harder..LOL

So, I took the butt plate off...then went out to my blacksmith shop and cut a piece of roundstock that would just fit nicely in the stock and rounded the edges on the ends.

I made the steel bar about 1/4" short of filling the space..then packed the bar stock in ..preceded by and followed by..some durable sponge material.

Worked finr for a few years..then the powers to be in state govt. finally saw clear to allow rifles in my region of the state..so  i gave the slug gun to my grandson and I use rifles exclusively on big game...all game for that matter..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:03:04 AM »
I took off the but-plate of my Handi and found that the round balls for my Brown Bess musket fit perfectly when patched with my regular patching material.  I think it took eight of them to fill the hole.  I like the idea of filling the copper tubing with lead and I had one cut to length but have never bothered to fill it with lead and take the lead balls out and replace them with the tube.  Whatever, adding weight to the stock will definitely take some of the sting out of shooting heavy loads in the Handi.  As I either use mine in a tree stand or at the range I don’t find the extra weight a bother.
RJ

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:36:03 AM »
I used steel BBs in mine once.
Just over a pound full.
Lead seemed a bit much.

PS what do you guys use in synthetics.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 12:35:50 AM »
    Partsman;

For the synthetics...often a mix of BBs and that clear, rubbery calking material is put directly in the stock. May be best if the mix is put in a plastic bag and form-fitted to the cavity..perhaps it would be easier to remove if necessary..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:20:29 AM »
    Partsman;

For the synthetics...often a mix of BBs and that clear, rubbery calking material is put directly in the stock. May be best if the mix is put in a plastic bag and form-fitted to the cavity..perhaps it would be easier to remove if necessary..
Silicone?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 08:35:19 AM »
  Right ;

You have it Parts man..the term escaped me for a moment while I was posting..

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 09:09:49 AM »

I have a friend of mine who built a small blast furnace for melting alum. at home. I was thinking of sand casting an alum. forearm. That would be a little bit heavier and the weight would be on the front end instead of the back end making for better balance IMHO. I have used lead shot in my son's 12 ga. when I first gave it to him. That was when he was about 9. He wanted the same kind of gun dad had don't you know. well by the time he was 11 he had me take out the shot and just went with a slip on recoil pad. We don't shoot much high brass stuff.
   Would you believe that he's never missed with that shotgun? Tree rats, possums, foxes, have all fallen to the mighty Topper.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »
Rusty, not a good idea, there's a warning in the FAQs about weighting the forend, NFG ripped the forend stud off his barrel doing that, it's just spot welded on. :'(

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,96568.msg1098240921.html#msg1098240921
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain