Author Topic: Anyone have any experience with a DSA SA58 FAL?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Anyone have any experience with a DSA SA58 FAL?
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:13:23 AM »
I've always wanted one of these since I saw the movie Sniper as a kid.  I know you can't buy a new FAL, but it looks like you can buy a DSA SA58 FAL.  I don't know the difference, but they look like awesome rifles.  DSA is supposed to be a good manufacturer but I don't have any experience with their products at all.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Anyone have any experience with a DSA SA58 FAL?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:27:12 PM »
This topic has been lying around a while, but if you are still interested. The rifle you are talking about is a Heckler and Koch 91 in civilian semi auto. The real rifle is a G3. On that movie they had a  hk91 dressed up like a psg1, which is a 10,000 dollar or better rifle. As for the hk91, right now the market is drying up, your best bet is a gun show or a large gun store in a major city near you. Another option is the cetme, which seems to be in no short supply. It is the earlier spanish version of the hk. The germans made a few changes to that design, but many of the parts are interchangeable. The cheaper versions which are made from parts kits are called clones, DSA is a clone as well. The ptr-91 is the best clone out there. DSA rates near the bottom with hesse arms. These two are generally reguarded as junk because of quality control issues that are not sorted out before they leave the shop. However, this is not my oppinion, I don't know, never owned one. I have a federal arms hk91 personally and it has been great for me.
Molon labe

Offline Mnswede

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:45:58 AM »
DSA has a very good rep for quality and is on the opposite spectre of Hesse Arms.  I own a Stg 58 built by DSA and have ran several thousand rounds through the rifle with no problems.  DSA has all kinds of models of the FN FAL and you will not be unhappy with whatever rifle model you choose.  I also own a PTR 91 rifle and you won't be disappointed with this rifle and company either. ;D

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:13:58 AM »
This topic has been lying around a while, but if you are still interested. The rifle you are talking about is a Heckler and Koch 91 in civilian semi auto. The real rifle is a G3. On that movie they had a  hk91 dressed up like a psg1, which is a 10,000 dollar or better rifle. As for the hk91, right now the market is drying up, your best bet is a gun show or a large gun store in a major city near you. Another option is the cetme, which seems to be in no short supply. It is the earlier spanish version of the hk. The germans made a few changes to that design, but many of the parts are interchangeable. The cheaper versions which are made from parts kits are called clones, DSA is a clone as well. The ptr-91 is the best clone out there. DSA rates near the bottom with hesse arms. These two are generally reguarded as junk because of quality control issues that are not sorted out before they leave the shop. However, this is not my oppinion, I don't know, never owned one. I have a federal arms hk91 personally and it has been great for me.

I think you are confused.  DSA make high-end FN FALs using their own forged/CNC machined receivers.  Probably superior to originals.  They don't sell HK91/G3 anything.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »
In any event, are FAL rifles MOA shooters?  I've seen the DSA Gray wolf rifles online and it looks to have been built for accuracy.

Offline Mnswede

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »
Teddy12b,
  If you reload and or spend the money to make them so, then you could get 1 MOA or maybe less I have heard and read.  My SA Fal 48 and DSA Stg 58 are 1.5 MOA plus shooters, and a SA58 souped up rifle that my ex brother- in- laws had try to get tweaked in for a good round wasn't 1 NOA or better either, 1.5 MOA was the best I got out of it.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 02:52:52 PM »
I own a genuine Fabrique Nationale FN-FAL .308 Competition model purchased in 1982. It is an honest 1 MOA rifle. Several years back the NRA American Rifleman carried an article on the DSA SA58. They raved about it. I believe they also included it in their "Black Rifles" publication three years ago. Attached is an article from an outfit that is not afraid to pan a poor firearm, and they seem to have good things to write on the SA58.
http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=495
Over 35 years I have owned many types of battle rifles; including Garands, M1A, G91, Beretta BM62 and the FN-FAL. The FN-FAL has been the keeper.