Author Topic: How do you carry your spare ammo? and how much?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline tominboise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How do you carry your spare ammo? and how much?
« on: May 28, 2003, 04:09:44 AM »
Just wondering what you guys do.  I used to use the 10 round nylon flap style holder on my belt, but I got tired of beating up the ammo, so I now just use one of the plastic Federal ammo holders in my coat/shirt pocket.  I carry however many the rifle holds, plus 10 rounds extra.  I should say, that most of my ammo gets lots of miles walking on it!

I also usually don't carry a handgun, although sometimes I will carry a snubby .357 (Ruger SP101) in my fannypack, or maybe, very rarely, I will carry a SS 45 Colt Blackhawk Bisley 5.5".  I should say I don't like to carry the weight of the revolvers, so most of the time just carry my rifle.

But with the growing dinner bell bear problem here in Idaho, it may be wiser to start packing the 45 more often.

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
How do you carry your spare ammo? and how m
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 05:34:07 AM »
If I'm going to be out all day, I'll generally use one of those Cordura holster thingies you're talking about.  If it's just sitting a stand or making a short walk, I just make sure the mag's full and call it good.  If it takes me more than 4-5 rounds to kill one animal, I figure I shouldn't be out shooting anyway.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 11:48:53 AM »
We use a bullet band: which is an elastic sleeve that goes on the butt of your rifle.  The bullets slide into individual sleeves (like what holds your shotgun shells in a hunting vest).  It holds 5-6 shells.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 06:06:55 PM »
I use one of those nylon buttstock sleeves too. Mine hold 9 rounds. It also makes the synthetic stock a little warmer against the cheek in cold weather.  I burnt a little hole in mine where the sling stud goes through; that helps hold it in place.
Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 06:35:34 AM »
i hunt with a surplus lee enfield so if the the scope is off i carry 5 shot stripper clips and if the scopes on i carry another 10 shot magazine. i usaully carry 20 rounds.more if i'm going somewhere if there's the chance i might get lost or stuck in the bush for a few days
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Power

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 06:53:13 AM »
I have a nice leather, foldable holder that holds 2 rows of 5 shells. Fits my caliber perfect, hangs from my belt, and has tiny pouches behind the shells that I can keep the string for my tag (if I get lucky). Here's a tip for you all, Zip-ties work great for attaching your tag to your deer/elk. You can get them real tight and they won't break or fall off.

That holds 10 round plus 4 for the rifle. That seems to be plenty, even if I'm out and there is a grouse or coyote I shoot.
-Power

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 09:04:11 AM »
I got used to a day pack when I was a teenager and never broke the habit.  Along with all the un-necessary "necessities" goes a MTM Gard 20 rifle box(20 rounds) and if I'm carrying a handgun then a MTM Gard 50 pistol box(50 rounds) goes in too.  To keep everything quiet I use some doubled sided tape to hold in a piece of foam rubber in the lid portion.  For quick reloading I have a cartridge slide on my belt the holds 5 rounds.  Like Tom I don't normally carry a handgun when hunting big game choosing rather to carry a larger caliber rifle when in bear country.  The only time I hang that .44 magnum on my belt is when I'm carrying something smaller than 7mm magnum.  I really don't like the idea of depending on a handgun to stop a charging bear.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline WyoHunter

• Make each hunt an experience you'll never forget!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 06:59:33 AM »
I carry 10 rounds in a folding cordura belt pouch. If you need more than this carry extra in your day or fanny pack.
Make each hunt an experience to remember!

NRA Life Member

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 10:15:16 AM »
I also carry a couple extra rounds of ammo inside the hollow buttstock of my 30-06. I also have some other survival type stuff in there. Cord, matches, MRE packets, etc.  I haven't opened it up for a long time, I got to go look now, and see what all I got squirreled away in there. You do have to have a Leatherman type tool along, to take the screws out, to get at it all.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 12:56:21 PM »
Sheriff Taylor only gave me ONE bullet and I gotta keep it in my shirt pocket at all times... :D

I hunt big game with blk. powder and I figure 5 loads is plenty. When Im  calling predators I have 6 rounds, 3 in the gun 3 in my pocket.
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Spares
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 06:18:54 PM »
When I know I'll make it back to the truck around nightfall, I don't take my fanny pack. I'll carry what I need in a multi-pocketed vest. Since I handgun hunt most of the time, I'll carry my spare ammo on the gunbelt. I carry crossdraw as a rule and carry six rounds on the right side, followed by three rifle rounds, six more pistol rounds, and three more rifle rounds. If I take a rifle, it's usually my 1894CCL in .41Magnum, a Brownchester M71 which shoots the .348Winchester, or a Marlin 1895 LTD V in .45-70. The ammo for the 1894CCL Marlin is what I shoot in my OMBH .41Magnum. The other rounds fit the loops snugly. For extended stays in the wild, I'll take a fanny pack with shoulder straps(I find this more comfortable to carry) or a rucksack with all the recquired gear. Dang, did this get long, fast. RKBA! 8)
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41