Author Topic: Rugar P95??  (Read 1283 times)

Offline brian 50cal

• Trade Count: (0)
Rugar P95??
« on: May 28, 2003, 07:16:33 AM »
I am thinking about getting a P95 in the 9mm.  Deos anybody own one or have feed back about this gun?  Brian

Offline Savage

Rugar P95??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 08:28:40 AM »
Brian,
I bought one for my wife 6 or 7 years ago KP95-DC. I haven't shot it much but it has about 9k rounds through it from plinking and my son using it to shoot IDPA. These have been everything from cheap factory to lead reloaded ammo. Mostly the latter, without a single malfunction. Accuracy is acceptable for a service pistol as well. Not bad for a gun I paid $260 for brand new at Sports Ulimited!!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
Rugar P95??
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 01:03:28 PM »
I use a KP95DC for my concealed carry gun. I like it better than my P85MK11 as it is considerably lighter. It has no safety, so it handles more like a revolver in that regard.  Just draw and shoot.  I also like the decocker.

I've shot a lot of rounds through it and have never had a malfuntion. The plastic frame seems to handle the abuse of carrying.  

If you have small hands, or short thick fingers you may find the grip a little too wide. It does have a loooong trigger pull, in both double and single action. But in a high stess situation that would be OK too.

Including state sales tax (6.5%) and two boxes of shells I paid less than $300.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline colt451911

Rugar P95??
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 07:15:05 PM »
A friend of mine just bought a used p95dc and is very impressed.  It james ocasionally with real low quality remanufactured ammo but that could just be the mag, and it works great with winchester ammo.  It is also pretty acurate, all in all a great gun for the price.

Offline BoatVet

P95
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 06:58:00 PM »
Haven't personally shot the P95 but I owned a P97 for 4 years and really liked it. Same frame as the 9 mil but in 45cal. Very easy to learn and handle. Light polymer frame, easy to clean. Definetly a quality gun for the price.

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
p95
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 02:13:10 PM »
I had one about three yrs and because of money problems sold to father in law this is a fine firearm i tried to make mine jam and never not one time could ( tried loading clips with all diferent kinds of ammo ) my only complaint is the mag release button is to light and drops the clip on accident. I never lost one of mine but mags did come loose a buddy of mine lost his clip out of a P85 they are extremely reliable just not very good for carry in my opinion because of mag release but just my .02

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
Rugar P95??
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 06:29:22 PM »
The mag release can be a problem on the 95.  I was bucked off a horse last winter and landed flat on my back, on the ice. (Glad I wasn't wearing a small-of-the-back holster).  When I hit the ground th clip flew right out of my pistol.

I found that the mag release hit a spot on my holster and release when pressed down sharply.  I cut out a notch around the mag release and that ended the problem.  I didn't actually go through the bucking off senario again :roll:, but it no longer released while in the holster, when sharp pressure was applied top of the pistol.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

Offline Savage

Rugar P95??
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 10:35:12 PM »
Hud,
And the lesson here is: (1) Stay off of horses? (2) Stay on the horse? (3) Carry a revolver? I've never carried the P-95, it's way too big for the caliber, but I can see where the mag release could be accidently activated. Small problem I would think on an otherwise very fine gun for the money.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
Rugar P95??
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 10:42:49 AM »
Savage,

There's probably whole lot of lessons to be learned there! Few actually sunk in.  :wink:  I think #1 is the safest.  But then a guy can only be so safe and still lead somewhat a life of adventure.  Take what precautions seem reasonable and then go for it.

I personally like the size of the 95 for handling / shooting, and it is still thinner than the cylinder of a revolver.  In a hi-ride pancake holster it stays pretty tight against the body.

I just bought a new pancake, today, at a gunshow. It is "Old World" brand out of Oregon City, model 23537; also says "Made in Italy".  Real nice leather.  It was a little tight but I soaked the thumb break strap in alcohol and it streched to fit. Rubbed in a little emu oil to soften the leather back up. Now it is a perfect fit. They may make one to fit the 95.  I'll have to look them up in a search engine and learn a little more about there products.

Hud

Offline Oreducksfan

Rugar P95??
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2003, 06:15:57 PM »
If you have the extra bucks, I would opt for a different gun. (I have owned one in the past, and have family members still owning one)

Glocks are ugly, but for a 9mm, they are tough to beat for the money. You can feed it anything (except hard cast/or plain lead) unless you buy a spare barrel for it.

I have about 2000 rounds through mine, and I believe I'm just starting to break it in. Never a misfire/jam nada! this gun will feed anything from Wolf @$5.00 per box to +p+ @ $20.00 per box. Hp to wad cutter it will chew it up like candy. This is one very accurate gun @ $400.00 price range, NIB

If you have a couple more bucks to spare, go for a Sig.  IMHO this is the best semi in 9mm a person could buy. It is 100% business, accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

I own H&K's / Sigs and Glocks  for the record.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

B in Oregon

It is Oregan not Or-e-gon dang it!

Offline Savage

Rugar P95??
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 02:28:55 AM »
Oreducksfan,
The words you used to describe the performance of your Glock could well be used to describe the P-95. How about 9k rounds of every kind of ammo you can imagine, especially cast, without a single malfunction of any kind!! The P-95 is not a personal favorite of mine, my tastes run more to Kimbers and Glocks along with Smiths and Rugers for revolvers.
I stand by my statement: for the money NOTHING beats the value of the Ruger "P" series autos!!!!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Oreducksfan

Rugar P95??
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2003, 11:17:13 AM »
Savage,

It was just my opinion. I have never had any luck with any ruger product other then their 10/22.  I had a P-85 or 89 (I forget which number model it was) and that thing was the biggest piece of junk I ever owned. It would jam up at least once every 30 rounds, regardless of what type of ammo I ran through it.  It might  as well have been a CZ for all I cared.

I know that I'm comparing  a 80's model to a 90's model, in this case.
But, Once you have a bad experience with a product or service, it tends to stay with you, that is human nature.

I'm prior military, prior law enforcement. I am not an expert by any means. I just gave an opinion based upon my experiences of handguns I have owned in the past, and ones I have now.

My uncle has a P-95. He thinks it is great! I prefer my Sigs. and Glocks in 9mm.  That is what keeps this great country great. Everyones different opinions!

I didnt mean to offend anyone.

________________________________________________________-

It is Oregan not Or-e-gon dang it!

Offline Savage

Rugar P95??
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2003, 02:03:09 PM »
Oreducksfan,
Let  me apologize if the tone of my last post led you to believe I had been offended.  Nothing could be farther from the truth! The centerfire autoloading pistols in the Ruger line are my least favorate of the companies products. Not because they don't work, because all I have seen and had experience with surely do. But because they are so large for the caliber and usually have terrible trigger pulls. These things along with marginal accuracy for a service pistol do not endear them to me. Giving the devil his due, all I have seen function, and don't break! I own and carry a number of autoloaders from Kimber, Glock, Sig, S&W, Kahr, and even Kel tec that I like better. Still, for the $260 I paid for the KP95DC I think it's a hell of a deal!v Fortunately my agency allows us to carry anything we can qualify with (9mm or larger). However if the Ruger were the issue weapon, I wouldn't feel unarmed!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Oreducksfan

Rugar P95??
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2003, 02:30:46 PM »
Savage,

Thanks for the follow up. I was not sure If I offended you or not. Thanks for taking the time to help set me straight! Your thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated.

Have a good one

B in Oregon

It is Oregan not Or-e-gon  dang it!

Offline Old Griz

Rugar P95??
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2003, 07:13:31 PM »
I believe "Gun Tests" magazine compared polymer frame 9mm handguns and they gave the winning nod to the P95. That was even over Glocks. For the price they are really hard to beat. However, you might only get one shot, and I'd like it to count. Instead of the 9mm I'd go with the P97 in .45 ACP.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."