Author Topic: what kind of groups to expect from ruger mini 14  (Read 2898 times)

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
what kind of groups to expect from ruger mini 14
« on: June 20, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »
im looking at a ss mini 14 with a plastic  factory stock, do any of you guys have one? how does it shoot? how does it group at 100 yards? are they reliable?
 thanks for info!
 coopershooter.

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: what kind of groups to expect from ruger mini 14
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
Pretty reliable from all of them I've seen. But not very accurate.   KN

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 04:59:19 AM »
Had one back in the 70s. Reliable, and would hold about 4" at 100yds with a scope.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline coopershooter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 05:03:21 PM »
i had a ss plastic stocked one before, it had a clark barrel stablizer, and a trigger job. it averaged about an inch with winchester white box. it was not real reliable and dented up the brass pretty badly. i was frustrated pretty badly! i sold it fast. without tinkering with it much at all. i wish i had fixed the problems, and kept the rifle. now i want something just like it.

Offline Dee

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 05:11:58 PM »
Being a retired police officer, and former gun nut, I have owned 8 of them beginning in 1976. I found that if you glass bed them, free float the barrel, and do a trigger job, they all would shoot under 3 inches at 100 yards with some much closer. The last one I did, I wish I had kept, as it would shoot an 1" at 100. The trigger by the way will, when done properly, come down to near 2 stage match grade in pull. My understanding also is recently Ruger has began to address the accruacy problem at the factory. As far as reliability, all 8 of mine were very reliable.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 02:30:26 AM »
Bought a Mini-14 many years ago.  Groups were 3-4inches on a good day, about like an  SKS.   Quickly got rid of it. 

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 01:46:34 PM »
I must have a gem of a Mini-14  ???
Mine will put it's shots into 2 inches at 100 meters all day long.
From a bench that is, but I always try to shoot from a solid rest
if possible anyway. Other than optics,The only modification mine ever has had
is the attachment of an M-14 type flash suppressor.
Utterly reliable. I only remember one failure to fire,
and that was from a defective primer in the ctg.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 01:13:24 PM »
My first mini-14, a 183 series, was about a 3-4 inch shooter until I put it in a plastic stock then it shot 5 shot groups a half inch wide by 2.5 inches tall at 100 yds.
I've never put my second one on paper.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 03:44:12 AM »
I really like the idea of the Mini-14 as a truck/knock around rifle.  It is light and handy and due to the garand type safety, left hand friendly.  With that said, I have probably had 10 or more of them over the years in hopes of getting one that would provide satifactory accuracy.  I have had blued, stainless, ranch, wood and synthetic and have yet to find one that shot better than 3 inches at 100 yards.  So I invariably wind up selling/trading them and going back to my 30-30 which will shoot better and  has all the other attributes that I like the Mini-14 for anyway.  I have not tried the new series Mini-14 but from what I have heard they are supposed to be more accurate.  So I guess ulitmately it boils down to what you want to do with the rifle and what is acceptable accuracy to you.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 04:22:50 AM »
I read on some forum somewhere, where a guy cut the barrel off 1/4" at a time until he cut back to 16-3/4" and he was getting 1-1/4" groups with the shorter barrel.  He figured because the barrel was thin, the shorter barrel didn't vibrate as much thus better groups, and he didn't want to go any shorter to be legal.  He also cleaned and tightened the gas system.  When he rebarreled, he put the same front sight back on.  Saw the pictures, but can't remember where the site was. 

Offline dscp

• Trade Count: (199)
  • Active Trader Life
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 04:47:44 AM »
HOWDY !         I READ AN ARTICLE VERY RECENTLY ( PROBABLE GUNS&AMMO OR AMERICAN RIFLEMAN) THAT SOME OF THE RUGER FOLKS DID THEIR  JOB AS WELL AS IT COULD BE DONE. THE RESULT WAS THEY WON OVER THE COLT AR-15 . THIS IS NOT ON THE SHELF  AT WALMART.
     NOW A FULL RACE AR-15 WILL PUT THEM THERE ALL DAY LONG . THE AR-15 IS NOW THE MOST ACCURATE MILITARY RIFLE , SO IF YOU OUT SHOOT IT  . YOU GOTTA BE DOING SOMETHING !
      I HAVE ONE ON ORDER . THE PRESENT OWNER SAYS THAT HE PUT TEN(10) SHOTS AT 100 YARDS IN LESS THAN 1/2 AN INCH . OF COURSE YOU AND THE AMMO MUST BE PERFECT .
happy trales to you,
dscp
ENDOWEMENT MEMBER NATIONAL RIFLE ASSN
UNITED STATES NAVY RETIRED

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 05:07:11 AM »
i had 2 of the old ones 4-5 groups at 100 yds , picked up a new ranch rifle with the new rear sight , SS with plastic stock 2 -2.5 groups at 100 yds , that was with cheap ammo ! might do better . have the same gun in 7.62 x39 and it also turns in good groups with .311 ammo !
i think Ruger did their home work !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline shootrj2003

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
 Totally reliable,like an AK and most of them the same grade of accuracy,.I've owned a SKS and a Mini -14 ,not much difference in groups.I would not feel undergunned in a guerrila situation  but, I  would use it to upgrade to an AR or HK or something in that class A.S.A.P! This was not designed as a dedicated war rifle,Though it could serve in a pinch. It would be better of as a rear echelon guard weapon .
The accuracy issues should have been resolved the year Ruger came out with it, instead the system was made to look bad for years and probably won't ever be as popular as it could have been. Also in its present form ,it just becomes to complicated when produced as a selective fire weapon.The M2 carbine ,stretched out and beefed up to fit a .5.56 would probably be better.,but no body's done that[yet].[just a guess -I don't know for sure.].
The new one has the accuracy but is even further from tactical.JMHO Shootrj2003
 P.S.I'm building an AR-soon!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 02:29:13 AM »
wasn't the first mini 14 sales to military and police ? i had 2 AR's a colt and a bushmaster both HBAR's both had good groups as long as everything was in perfect working order and a wedge was in place , i have to say to clear a jam was not always easy , also i saw why it had a forward assist on it as it was needed way to often ! the ruger 's i have had seem to not suffer these problems and dirt and trash seem to be pushed out of the action instead of stopping the action . before one picks his end of civilization weapon they should consider the fact that countries that field both the AR and HK  have 3 men at the rear for every man on the line , these extra men support the front with spare parts ! if those parts aren't aval. to you , maybe an AK , mini-14 or the like might take on a whole new look as they seem to keep up and running !
the new ruger seems to give 2-21/2 inch groups , not to bad !

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »
For a truck gun, you can't beat a SKS. They are selling for $140-200 right now with a C&R.  $200+ if you don't have the license. They will group about the same as the Mini-14 2-4inches@100.  For the price of a mini you could buy four SKS' and the reliability would even be better IMHO.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 04:04:44 AM »
30/30man , that sounds great right up to the point ya want to use a scope !

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 11:47:28 AM »
Yeah the receiver mounts are horrible for the SKS but the scout mount is quite good.  One replaces the gas tube and the other mounts in the rear sight.  I've seen both and they will not move.  The only thing that turns me away from the Ruger is the price.  For the money, I'd rather have a couple of SKS'.  The Ruger sells in my area for $500-$700 new.  The cheapest one I've seen was $565.  Maybe they are cheaper in your area, I don't know.  For that kind of dough, there are better choices.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 01:47:47 AM »
30/30man , lets face it a mod. 94 out shoots both ! prices are the same here , i like Ruger , had both , like the detachable mag. here we have to unload a rifle while on the highway . i tried one on a sks and it never was 100%

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »
You're absolutely right on that one!  A 94 or a Marlin 336 would out shoot them all but who wants to leave such a wonderful firearm in a truck all the time? I carry one in each of my trucks to take care of feral cats, foxes, and sometimes even a deer(Yeah, I consider them pests too!). The only time I felt I needed more gun was when I once shot a hog someone turned loose on my place.  It had grown to about 600lbs.  It took three shots to bring it down using the 125HP but then I blame some of my trouble on the bullets I was using.

I spray them down with wd-40 once a month and they get dirty, real dirty riding under the seat.  I have never had a case where they wouldn't shoot, even coated in sand. The SKS will take the abuse, is farily accurate enough to hit a deer@100 yards, is cheap, and is replaceable.  The cheap ammo is a plus too!  You can buy a box of the Russian 150 grain soft points for under $5.  You can't touch any other medium caliber for that.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 02:30:07 AM »
watch the WD-40 , Brownells advised against using it on guns other than in the bluing process !
I use a SS mini-30 for same thing !

Offline Dee

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 02:58:35 AM »
I made a small fortune on WD40. Cops used to spray it into their revolvers, and over a period of time it turns to a varnish like mess. I have seen some revolvers that it retarded the hammer fall so badly that it would miss-fire 4 out of 6 rounds. It is also a penetrating oil, and can't or shouldn't be trusted around ammo.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 03:04:07 AM »
yea , and also it affects the hardness of metal , i got a catalog from Brownells and it had a flier in it about not using WD-40
a gunsmith buddy said it would make the metal brittle over time !

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
I don't use wd-40, I didn't know what to call it really.  I think the name is Rubber Duck Gun Lube.  It comes in a can, has a red duck head on the can.  You can buy it at Walmart.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »
We use them at work D.O.C i had to recert this past Tuesday shot 10 round from the 100yrd line in to the 30 got about a 4-5" group free hand.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 04:06:24 AM »
Where do you work?  Most government contractors in security use the AR-15 that I know of.  I don't know of anyone that uses the Ruger.  Just curious?

Offline S.S.

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 08:58:20 AM »
Many private security firms use the Mini-14. Lots less expensive than same caliber counterparts.
and more reliable than most of them.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 10:29:52 AM »
That's a new one on me, not saying they don't, I just never heard of it.  The only knowledge I have is from a local power plant where I once lived(nuclear) and SRS where they once made the stuff to go into nukes.  The contractors all used Beretta pistols then Glock and the ar-15 or some variant. Learn something new everyday.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 11:07:03 AM »
All that stuff about WD-40 is old wives tales.  It's a great product.  I've been using it with great results for as long as they've been making it.  It's not a lube though.  It's just a good solvent like liquid wrench.  Folks put WD-40 down because they want you to buy the latest miracle lube.  I use Break-Free when I want a miracle lube.

Your Mini-14 should shoot about 4" groups at 100 yards.  The groups won't be in the same place twice, so don't try to put a scope on it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dee

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
All that stuff about WD-40 is old wives tales.  It's a great product.  I've been using it with great results for as long as they've been making it.  It's not a lube though.  It's just a good solvent like liquid wrench.  Folks put WD-40 down because they want you to buy the latest miracle lube.  I use Break-Free when I want a miracle lube.

LOL    ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::)   ::)   LOL   ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::)   ::)  LOL   ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)  ::)   ::)  LOL   ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::)   ::)    LOL   ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::)   ::)   LOL   ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::)   ::)    LOL   ;D     ;D   ::)   ::)   ::)    LOL   ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::)   ::)   LOL   ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::)   ::)    LOL   ;D   ;D   ;D   ::)   ::)   ::) 

our Mini-14 should shoot about 4" groups at 100 yards.  The groups won't be in the same place twice, so don't try to put a scope on it.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »
I've used wd-40, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, and even a water hose on my sks. It really doesn't matter, I'd use donkey pee on a sks if I thought it would clean the sand out. They are cheap/reliable and that is why they ride under my truck seats.