Author Topic: 22 Hornet Club  (Read 2538 times)

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 22 Hornet Club
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 03:13:47 AM »
From my backyard I can  get around 35 yards to practice with my Hornet Have not been able to get out where I can shoot at 100Yds. I will be using hornady 35 gr V-max. My Question is>>> If I wanted to be about 2 inches high at 100 yds  How should I sight in at 35 Yds?  My Handi has a 22 inch barrell. Thanks  all

Scoped ?  Irons  ?

This will get you close, hope it helps.  Based on 3000 fps load, 35 vmax w) .109 bc  temp unknown  elevation unknown

Just a guess on your sight height.

Scoped 2" C.

35 yards - 0
100 yards - + 1.87"
175 yards - 0

Irons @ .5"

35 yards - +.85"
100 yards- +1.91"
160 yards- 0

I don't like my Hornets zero that far for varmints...............but there you go.

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »
azmark, check your email. ;)

Tim

Thanks for the Gun Tests article, Tim.  I actually remember reading that but I can't find my copy of that issue.  The writer mentioned getting a thousand handloads out of a pound of powder.  What kind of load uses only 7 grains of powder? 
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007, 09:13:54 AM »
The Lee book shows a few loads that are 7gr or lighter, 6.9-7.5gr Herc 2400 w/40gr bullet, 2.7-3gr A Nitro 100 w/44gr cast, 6.5-7.2gr Herc 2400 w/45gr bullet, 3.1-3.4gr Vectan BA9 w/45gr cast bullet, 6.4-7gr Herc 2400 w/50gr bullet, 6.2-7.7gr  N110 w/55gr bullets.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline the lone gunman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »
Thanks Just Bill , Thats just about what I was hoping for. How do you sight in your hornet for varmints? I was thinking 2" high at 100 would be about right for dead on hold to 200.  Oh ,I I use a scoped 3+9 Bushnell.
Next Stop,, Willoughby !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2007, 12:22:02 PM »
Well, I got a call today....My Hornet has arrived!! To bad I wasn't called earlier today I could have run down and gotten it! :'(  I'm sure it was there yesterday as no one is open for shipment on Sundays!!

Any how now I have to wait till Tuesday as they are closed on Mondays.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »
I zero at 150 and may drop back to 100 in the future.

Here is a couple photos from this evenings hike doing what the Hornet does best............."sting'in" woodchucks.

to the pumkin with a 40 vmax, as found

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1795.jpg

Ditto...........

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1791.jpg

Landscape

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1792.jpg

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2007, 04:39:15 PM »
Your pushing my buttons there Bill!! (in a good way!! ;) )

Nice shooting!!!

Man do I like those yellow stocks!!!!  Where did you get them again?

I CANT wait till Tuesday when I get my hornet!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 12:54:54 AM »
I got my yellow stock from H&R, "last one they had of a special run".  No checkering though and the grip is pretty fat/thick.   It was about $85.00.  Others have them two,just have to locate,search.  I personally, like all the laminate stocks for a scoped Hornet, very fond of the camo version. Also the stocks from that company whom offers the nice walnut ones for Handi's that have to be finished are probably the best to my eye.  For $85 from H&R thier laminate is tough to beat though, take a bench grinder to one of their butt plates and there you go.  My son and I refinshed the original wood version but it's not as nice although slightly  lighter weight.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 01:22:30 AM »
guys  you really need to check out the line of calhoon bullets  they work great on all the nornets ive  used in the past 12yrs , he  designs bullets to work with  certian calibers, the double hollow point as they call them  are wicked on pigs , iam not sure  on the zinc coating but they  dont seem to foul the barrels , anymore then a jacketed, ive owned 5 at least of the handi's in hornet,  and got all of them to shoot  very well, lil gun powder has been a god send in my book, basicly  just fill her up and stuff a bullet in it an your good to go, used a ton of imr4227  but lil gun  like the calhoons just works
www.jamescalhoon.com

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2007, 01:56:27 AM »
Which grain Calhoons were most accurate in your 1/12 twist Handis over lil gun?  37 - 42 grain I imagine.  Price is good on them......

Any load charts?  Wondering what 12.8 grains lil gun under a 37 & 42 Calhoon bullet would do fps wise at muzzle.

BTW-  Here is my pride and joy Hornet.  A pre war Winchester Model 70 Super Grade witha old Redfield Widefield 4x scope.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1599.jpg

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 02:37:12 AM »
There you go again...pushing my buttons...

Now I have gone a drooled all over my key board!!!!

DARN YOU!!! ::) ;D

VERY VERY nice rifle!!  My pops has a couple Winchester 43's one in 22Hornet and another in 218 bee. Same era not quite as nice/collectable.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2007, 03:42:45 AM »
There you go again...pushing my buttons...

Now I have gone a drooled all over my key board!!!!

DARN YOU!!! ::) ;D

VERY VERY nice rifle!!  My pops has a couple Winchester 43's one in 22Hornet and another in 218 bee. Same era not quite as nice/collectable.

CW

;D............yea it's pretty special.  It was my grandfathers.  I am 46 years old and have "drooled" over it since knee high at his reloading bench as he always noted it as favorite.  Just handed down to me this year.  Had a old M-70 in 220 Swift to match, my cousin has that one  :)

Offline the lone gunman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2007, 08:44:54 AM »
JustBill, Great Pics,, You also have me drooling,  I think tuesday or wedsday I will get out with mine and dial it in. Got the truck packed with all I need and will be able to get an easy 200 yds to shoot, will post some pics if I make it.
Next Stop,, Willoughby !

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2007, 06:13:26 PM »
I'm doing a little experimenting, trying to find an even quieter load for squirrels at 40-70 yards. I've got some loads ready to test tomorrow but there was a squirrel begging to be shot tonight, so I tried one that "I think" will be about 2400 FPS with the Speer 33 gr TNT at about 50 yards from my porch. What a mess. There were bits of squirrel everywhere. I wasn't sure how the bullet would behave at this relatively low speed but it was very impressive. I haven't tried the Calhoon's yet but I don't think I need a bullet more explosive than this TNT. I'll test the loads for groups and velocity tomorrow if the heat lets up a little.

Bob A

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2007, 03:33:16 AM »
Thanks Bob,

Please let us know if the Handi likes them for accuracy.  I have not tried any for woodchucks yet but have my eye on them.

BTW-  Several have asked me "where did you get your Hornet butt stock shell holder?"  "What kind/brand is it"?  While at the gun shop where I purchased it, they had some more in.  I noted they are manufactured by "Double Triple".  The local shop sells them as rim magnum shell holders on Double Triples web they just say "rifle".  They are idem # 2335.  It's tightly bound, fairly short loops have worked well for all Hornet shells.

Offline giturgun

• Avid Poster
  • Me land yacht
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
[size=114pt]I am sure it is either the way I load or it is the die set. I load way to hot for the little fellow, but am a fan of speed. 22-250 is my favorite of all times[/size]   The die set I use is a lee-collet. Have the sets for 25-06 22-250 30-06 and I think a couple others.

It seems to leave humps on the brass , but I loaded some .223 today and the first 2 were to hot  ( using 60 gn hp , so I went to 50 gn sierra soft points and a medium charge of H322  23 gns. The brass sticking problem went away.  I shot this load at 215 yards off the bench with a bipod and had 1 flier . The rest went into .590 inch. Have loaded 20 of these to try , maby tomorrow if time works out.

I have not been on this board for a while since I have not been shooting the tc or handi lately.    Looks like I need to just slow down the 223 , I may load some 45 gn for the hornet tomorrow and try a lighter load.  If that fixes the brass problem , I will just quit hotrodding them.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2007, 08:26:20 PM »
Lone Gunman, I haven't shot a .22 Hornet YET, but I'm guessing that at 35 yards if your a just a touch high ( maybe 1/4" or so). you'll be "about" 2" high at 100 yds. Give 'er a try and let us know!! Mark.

Offline Lucky Joe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 04:08:43 PM »
Do any of you Hornet shooters cast the little 44gr. Lyman 225438? I have a Savage .22 Hornet/20 ga.. I like to cast and was thinking of picking one up. Would sure like to pick up a H&R Hornet, probably try to make that my next one. How fast do you think this bullet can be driven, it is a gas check design.

Thanks,
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."