Author Topic: 22 Hornet Club  (Read 2540 times)

Offline the lone gunman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
22 Hornet Club
« on: June 22, 2007, 01:27:47 AM »
If you have a 22 hornet handi-Rifle lets talk about them here.
Next Stop,, Willoughby !

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: 22 Hornet Club
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 01:42:53 AM »
Lone,

I have a Topper with a Mannlicher stock in .22 H.  What is yours?

I used to have a Ruger #3, but parted with that a few years ago.  Shouldn't have done that, but that's what seems to happen to all of my guns after a while.  Always looking for something new, but don't have room, or finances for all of them, so usually something has to go.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 03:57:00 AM »
guys what can I expect to pay for the 22 hornet barrel if I send my receiver in to get one fitted?
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 05:32:18 AM »
guys what can I expect to pay for the 22 hornet barrel if I send my receiver in to get one fitted?

Costs are listed at H&R, add $15 fitting per barrel and $10 return shipping per order, plus the cost of shipping to them.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tomb

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 06:05:49 AM »
picked up a old combo 22 hornet, 20 ga stainless on wood dates to mid 80"s put a simmons blazer 3x9 on and I cant count he groundhogs I have killed out of my garden in the last month,by the way that $35.00 scope looks and shoots as good as any of my high dollar scopes so well i ordered two more.....love it so far but I did have to buy a set of dies....tomb

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 02:08:12 PM »
O.K.  ...............I have to ask.  Where are you getting the various smiley guys like the "popcorn muncher" and the "hand to ear dude".

Do you collect them or something  :D  < this is  "cheesy" BTW

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 02:41:07 PM »
Just google emoticons, you'll get lots, Smiley Central is real popular. Anytime you see a smiley you want, just right click it and save it to a folder, then you can upload it to your pic host for future use, or just right click it and choose properties, copy the URL and past it inside the insert image brackets in a post.

Tim

http://smiley.smileycentral.com/

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 02:06:51 AM »
Last week I had a couple of misses on 'chucks with my Hornet that I couldn't figure out since I was shooting from shooting sticks and was very steady.  Last night I went to the range and found that the group was strung out horizontally to about 2-1/2" @ 100 yd. When I sighted-in, it was a normal group of about 1-1/2".  I am using 40 gr. V-max bullets and 13.0 gr. of Lil'Gun.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 02:57:58 AM »
woodchuckhntr,

Do you suspect wind drift?  Trigger pull weight ?

BTW- What do you zero that load at and have you chronographed it ?

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 07:17:56 AM »
I don't suspect wind drift since I was also shooting my .223 Ultra Varmint and a Rem. 700 in .17 Rem.

The trigger is not great, but is OK.  I was able to shoot smaller groups when I sighted in.

It is sighted in at 1-1/2" high at 100 yd.  It was hitting in about the same place, but with horizontal stringing.

I didn't chronograph it.

The brass was all R-P, full-length sized and trimmed.

I did not take it apart since the sighting in session.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 07:25:55 AM »
woodchukhntr,

Remove the forend, check to see if there's any movement of the barrel in the frame when the action is closed.

With the forend off, rested under the frame just ahead of the trigger guard, see how it groups, if it shoots good, the forend is the culprit, it's easy to remove it from the variables that are causing the problem.

Tim

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 07:42:25 AM »
I'm a fairly new Handi  Hornet owner and liking it. The trigger is way to heavy for me. I have to really concentrate to keep from raising the muzzle as I squeeze but if I do my part, I hit what I aim at.  I figure to deal with the trigger after I've killed a few hundred ground squirrels from my porch. 20 down and counting. This is war and I mean to win.
BTW, I finally found a good use for coyotes. I just leave the dead squirrels in the pasture and the coyotes come by and clean them up for me. Normally, I shoot coyotes that get too close the the house and barn, but maybe I'll give them a pass if they do a good job cleaning up the fields and don't hang around.

I am very curious about other Hornet shooters favorite bullet. I see posts about Vmax 35 and 40,  Nosler Ballistic Tips, Calhoon double HPs and various "Hornet" Bullets offered by Hornady, Speer, Sierra and the new Varmint Grenade from Barnes.

So, what is your favorite? And what is the main job of your Hornet (hunting, target, pliinking)?

Bob A

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 08:00:44 AM »
Trigger help can be found in the FAQs, or you can send it in for an accessory barrel and have em to a free trigger job while it's there. Any competent gunsmith can do a trigger job, many first timer novices have used Perklo's and Raynor's trigger help to do theirs and have been extremely happy with the results, there's no reason for anyone to have a heavy trigger on their Handi, trigger jobs are just too easy to do.  I remember my first trigger job well, lots of anxiety and a nervous venture, but when it was done, it really wasn't hard at all and the anxiety was unfounded.  ;)

Tim

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for the expert advice.  I'll try that out as soon as my dealer can get some more bullets.  I went to Gander mountain yesterday, they had them but I refuse to pay $25.00 for something that I can buy for less than $20.00.

I'll try that with my Ultra too.

I hope to get some time to do trigger jobs on them.  I have a .38-55 Target Model with an excellent trigger.  I haven't seen another Handi with a trigger that even comes close to it.  Too bad I can't make that gun shoot well.  Is it possible to swap triggers and hammers so I can transfer it to the Ultra?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 08:12:24 AM »
You can swap the hammer and trigger, but there's no guarantee it will be the same in the other frame. If you're gonna go to the trouble of disassembly, might just as well do a trigger job on the one that needs it, and leave the 38-55 alone since it already has a great trigger.

On the 38-55,  I can give you some previous threads that will help you get it shooting good with cast bullets, with their oversize bore and undersize neck, they aren't easy to deal with unless you do some specific reloading techniques. :-\

Tim

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 12:16:49 PM »
I have a handi with a superlight barrel. I love it. Shoots great and just enough for feral critters and coons.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »
Well...number 30 is going to be mine early next week!! I ordered a Hornet today!!!

Gotta get downstairs and load up some ammo!!!

I got some 35gr hornady's from Shane today...I REALLY like the looks of them!! Are you guys having good luck with that bullet?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »
The 35gr Vmax shoots real good with a case full of Lil'gun, I've not killed anything but paper with it, so I don't know how it performs on critters.

Tim

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »
Tim, I've used that load on critters from gophers to coons. Great terminal performance. I'd not hesitate to shoot coyotes out to  200 yards with it.  Nice red mist on gophers and pdoggers with ti.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 02:50:55 PM »
If the 35gr Vmax at 2800fps works like that on critters, just think what the 30gr Calhoon will do at 3400+fps!! ;D

Tim

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »
 ;D

Offline the lone gunman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 04:30:38 AM »
I just picked up a box of Hornady 35 gr V-Max. Hope to get out today and see what they will do. Box says they will be around 3100 fps. Sure do look mean.
Next Stop,, Willoughby !

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 02:40:35 PM »
On woodchucks I had slightly better expansion fragmentation with the 35 gr as compared to the 40 gr V max.  But, the factory loaded 35 V was doing 3100fps and the reload 40 V is about 2825fps.

I found most the Hornet bullets to be about the same on chucks (never tried the Tn'T.  Shooting some Hornady 45 gr soft point Hornet bullets now over Lil Gun, BC of .202.  They  carry some energy down range.

About 175 yards is where I have to really bare down on shot placement on woodchucks or they make it to the hole, with the Hornet, 150 is comfortable, 200 do'able. 

The Handi's are fun for me because of few limits on bullet choice between it's break action and faster twist.  Also easy for reloading,saving brass from the break action single shot as it puts them in my palm with ease.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 02:44:49 PM »
I just picked up a box of Hornady 35 gr V-Max. Hope to get out today and see what they will do. Box says they will be around 3100 fps. Sure do look mean.

In mine for factory loads the Winchester 46 hp was a bit  better than the Hornady 35 in regards to accuracy.

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 03:28:12 PM »
Do any of you shoot your Hornet with iron sights?  Somebody must, or they wouldn't come that way.  I'm wondering what kind of accuracy people are getting shooting old-school style.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »
azmark, check your email. ;)

Tim

Offline giturgun

• Avid Poster
  • Me land yacht
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 04:00:19 PM »
Haven't had the Hornet out for some time . Guess I need to pull it out of the safe and take off the .223 barrel for awhile

I don't use it much , mainly due to the brass sticking in the chamber ( both barrels ) , if I could get that problem fixed I would use them more

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 04:02:03 PM »
Is that sticking with factory ammo or handloads? There are fixes for sticking brass in the FAQs. ;)

Tim

Offline the lone gunman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 07:00:20 PM »
From my backyard I can  get around 35 yards to practice with my Hornet Have not been able to get out where I can shoot at 100Yds. I will be using hornady 35 gr V-max. My Question is>>> If I wanted to be about 2 inches high at 100 yds  How should I sight in at 35 Yds?  My Handi has a 22 inch barrell. Thanks  all
Next Stop,, Willoughby !