Author Topic: Help me pick and elk/mulie bullet  (Read 1730 times)

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Help me pick and elk/mulie bullet
« on: June 24, 2007, 08:53:46 AM »
Looking at taking my 8mm mauser out west elk and muley hunting.  Caliber/rifle decided.
Also, not reloading at this time, so let's rule that out.
Best bullet to get in ammo available?
I shoot S&B 196gr SPCE for deer here in WI. In my rifle, shoots MOA and is devastating on deer from what I've seen so far.  Since it shoots so well in my rifle, and I have success already and confidence in it, I'm leaning towards it. However.......
Hornady custom ammo has soft-point ammo with the Interlock spire-point bullet available for not too much $$
Next is Nosler Custom ammo.  They have the Accubond and Partition to chose from (I've already ruled out ballistic tips)
Now I understand shot selection and bullet placement are the most important, but which bullet would you choose?? I don't think the SPCE's from S&B are bonded.  The Accubond seems like a good fit, especially if shooting thru bone or less than ideal angles.  I will not use underpowered US 8mm ammo regardless of bullet type.

All the ammo available has pretty similar velocity and I really don't like to shoot over 300 yards (it NEVER happens where I hunt in WI!!)

Which factory available ammo would you select for me?
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Help me pick and elk/mulie bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 09:27:26 AM »
The one that shoots acceptable would be my first priority. It's nice to have a premium bullet that would hold together on the tougher shots, but even the old Rem Core-lokt has accounted for many elk long before we knew anything about premium bullets, so premium bullet performace isn't manditory.

The Hornady ammo has sufficient energy at 300yds for elk, it would be one to see how well it shoots.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=acfff99245297c576d2d77c732866c37&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=18e19bf91657d4af50d25afa0c4f7569

The Nosler AB and PT have advertised muzzle velocities of 2475fps, so they should be adequate at 300yds also, Federal, Rem and Winchester drop well below 1500lbs energy at 300yds.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=416602

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=639644

Conley also has some ammo that looks good to check out!! ;)

http://www.cpcartridge.com/cart2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_69

That should give you something to start on.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NONYA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:54:04 AM »
Id take the partition hands down,i am not impressed with the accubonds out of any high speed rifle,anything over 3000 fps and they gernade on impact.You will never go wrong with the partitions.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 03:44:13 PM »
Nonya, I hate to disagree with ya here(because I know no one else ever has LOL).
I do think the partition is a great bullet, but I do however think the accubond is equally as good. They do not" gernade" like the BT's. The accubond is basiclly a tipped partition, thus giving it a better BC and down range performance. Kinda the best of both worlds.
Shot two elk last year with the AB. Both at 425 yrds. These wre the 200 grainers over 92.5 gr. RL25(approx 3150MV). The first was a very large cow that had been shot by another in the hindend. First shooter ran out of ammo. As I tried to get to the cow she stood up to leave.(was not hurt very bad but didn't need to be left either). Cow was quarter away. Shot entered behind 2nd or third rib passed thru vitals, opposite shoulder and exited a base of neck.Exit wound was about 1 1/2". Hardlly the "Granade Effect". Second wasn't as dramatic, just a simple neck pass thru shot. This was out of a Rem Sendero 300rum.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:35:27 PM »
You already chose the ammo to go with.  The S & B is the logical choice.  You just want back up on your selection.  If it carries 200 grains, shoots well, AND YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN IT, use it.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 05:05:45 PM »

Offline NONYA

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 09:58:03 AM »
The one year i used the accubonds out of my 7 mag i had 2 failures in a row,a cow elk at 50 yards,frontshoulder shot,gernaded and didnt penetrate for s***,2nd one was a deer at 100 yards,same thing,i contacted Nosler and thier rep told me they "may have had a hicup in thier bonding process that would make anything over 3000 fps too much",they may have fixed it but there is NO bonding process with the barnes triple shocks to have any hicups so ill stick with them,I was a lifelong Nosler fanatic but the new barnes bullets put animals down like no other bullet i have ever loaded,i cant wait to try their new bullets with the heavier than lead rear core,supposed to really carry some downrange energy.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »
Since the topic is the 8mm Mauser, velocities over 3000fps isn't an issue. ;)

Tim

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 04:19:11 PM »
Other than hand loading and the Federal (mag) loads, what is there that can deliver an 8mm bullet able to penetrate an elk much past 1500 ft/lbs at 300 yards.  What is the ft/lbs of a 30-06 200 grain bullet at 300 yards?

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 04:29:10 PM »
Other than hand loading and the Federal (mag) loads, what is there that can deliver an 8mm bullet able to penetrate an elk much past 1500 fps at 300 yards.  What is the velocity of a 30-06 200 grain bullet at 300 yards?

C F

It's not 1500 fps you want at 300yds for elk, it's 1500 ft/lbs energy, 1000 ft/lbs for deer. The Remington data shows the 8mm lacking at range, even tho the American loading is light compared to other loadings, Conley for instance, get the muzzle velocity up where the 30-06 and 35 Whelen are and the 300yd performance is sufficient. ;)

Tim

180gr 30-06 vs 170gr 8mm vs 200gr 35 Whelen

Offline NONYA

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 07:52:11 PM »
why use a bullet that may have a "hicup" in the process as admitted by a nosler rep when there are so many better ones to choose from?

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 08:27:52 PM »
your too fast - I changed it to ft lbs.  Why a 35 Whelen? I shoot a 375 H H. with a 270 grain bullet  Now that is some Ft lbs at 300 yds

Try the S & B or Norma 8mm loads and see where the 35 Whelen stands

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 08:49:10 PM »
8x57 JS Mauser, 195 gr. SP 8229
Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd
2500/2706 2293/2277 2096/1902 1909/1578 1734/1301 1571/1068

Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd
-1.5 2.6 0.0 -10.5 -30.6 -62.2

Hornaday load

Just a little higher than the 35 Whelen load

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 06:37:24 AM »
I chose the 200gr cuz it's the closest to the 170gr 8mm, ya know apples and apples ;D, if I were gonna use the 35 Whelen for the same business as the OP, I'd choose the 250gr in the Rem factory ammo, it stomps the S&B 8mm ammo. An even better choice than the S&B would be the CPC ammo, the 8mm 200gr offerings start out at just a tad under 2700fps. ;)

Considering the OP hasn't contributed to this thread since he started it, our thoughts may be moot. :-\

Tim

http://www.cpcartridge.com/cart2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_69

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »
That's o k  I get to discuss loads and such with those i consider friends.  Only needed him to start the discussion.  Personally, I shoot a 375 H H myself, since I live and hunt in Grizzly country.

C F

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 09:22:07 AM »
Yup, others will glean info on the topic, so it's all good. When the search feature gets fixed, it will be there for anyone looking. ;D

Thx,

Tim

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 12:31:24 PM »
Oh, I've been following, believe me   ;)

Tim, Those CP loads do look pretty impressive.  It's really going to come down to average/probable shot distance.  I do have alot of confidence in the S&B loads up to 200-250 yards and for sure on mulies, but question ability to bust an elk shoulder if needed and/or take a 300-350 yard shot if it presents itself  (Hate to turn down 350 yard shot at a 6x6 because of inadequate faith in the bullet)

There's a ton of info and good links in this thread alone.  Thanks all you guys and keep adding info as you want....I, and others, appreciate it   :D
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 12:50:46 PM »
 ;D ;)