Author Topic: CVA pistol kit  (Read 1063 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
CVA pistol kit
« on: June 24, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »
30 years ago i put one of these together and have never shot it , about 2 mo. ago i got my first ML rifle and that got me to thinking ( Not good ) about the old pistol . so i took if all apart just to make sure it was still workable , everything still looks good .

The problem is that i have no idea as to what powder & charge to start with , i have FFg and FFFg on hand for the rifle . Its a single shot cap & ball .

Any help Please .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: CVA pistol kit
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:15:49 AM »
If it is one of their 45 calibers, I have always used an empty 45 ACP case full of 3F. At one point in time I knew how many grains that was, but now it is a moot point....that is how much I stick into it.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 10:45:58 AM »
either powder granulation will be fine.  Assuming you are shooting a patched round ball, I use a 357 mag case for a powder measure for my 45 muzzleloader pistol.  20 to 35 grains is plenty for most target and plinking loads.  More than 45 grains would just waste the  powder in muzzle flash.  I'd avoid the 3fg if shooting a conical bullet. 

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 01:08:28 PM »
Thanks guys , that gives me a place to start , yes its a 45 and all i'll be shooting is round balls .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 05:19:19 AM »
Stimpy,

The one I had when I was a kid I shot 30gr by volume of 3fg powder in it. That load worked well for me in mine, I also have the CVA Derringer and I used I think 20gr in it.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »
I always had a hard time getting a patched ball down there... unlike a rifle, you can't rest it on the ground to hold it.

I wound up using conicals that I had made to fit my ruger old army. I am pretty sure that 45 ACP style bullets would work as well. The bullets were an easy fit in the bore. They were heavily pan lubed, and the excess lube held the bullet seated in place.

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
I always had a hard time getting a patched ball down there... unlike a rifle, you can't rest it on the ground to hold it.

I wound up using conicals that I had made to fit my ruger old army. I am pretty sure that 45 ACP style bullets would work as well. The bullets were an easy fit in the bore. They were heavily pan lubed, and the excess lube held the bullet seated in place.

Rickk,

I always did too, then I built a box with an upright and notch for the barrel to sit in, after that it was all gravy!

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!