Author Topic: 22-250 & 300 Win Mag Barrels  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
22-250 & 300 Win Mag Barrels
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:42:34 AM »

I just got word that these bull barrels are being shipped and are on their way over...and should be available very soon...hopefully by the end of next month at least..I am looking forward to getting both...I had hopes for a 222 bull...but those aren't done yet :-[..so...since I got a tack driving 223 Winchester HV...the 22-250 seems a logical choice now...and I have been wanting one of the 300 Mags since I first heard about them becoming available...Keep your fingers crossed...

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 22-250 & 300 Win Mag Barrels
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 07:47:13 AM »
Thanks for the update Mac, been looking forward to working with the 300WM for a long time, my brass and dies are gathering dust!!! :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:56:15 PM »
I can see myself buying a CVA someday!!!!!!!!!!  I like what I am hearing and a 300 Win Mag would be nice. ;D When I get into reloading I all ready have about 60 brass from the Remington I had.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:35:36 PM »
Good, these are good additions.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:06:09 AM »
I can see myself buying a CVA someday!!!!!!!!!!  I like what I am hearing and a 300 Win Mag would be nice. ;D When I get into reloading I all ready have about 60 brass from the Remington I had.

Agreed.  I'm very interested in blowing the dust off my old .222 dies and brass.   ;)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 04:26:24 PM »
i went to the gunshop to look at one of these, since you guys like them so much. it really didn't interest me...i really wanted to be impressed and buy one but in my taste i couldn't warm up to it. the metal finish wasn't great and when i closed the action it made a "clack" noise that vibrated through the plastic stock that sounded cheap...and the barrel was sort of "Free floating" from the forearm in a way that left space between it and the forearm...looked like a bad fit, not free float, even though i know it was free floated.

i am all for an affordable rifle that can compete with both NEF and TC but this isn't the one for me i guess...

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 08:29:41 PM »
i went to the gunshop to look at one of these, since you guys like them so much. it really didn't interest me...i really wanted to be impressed and buy one but in my taste i couldn't warm up to it. the metal finish wasn't great and when i closed the action it made a "clack" noise that vibrated through the plastic stock that sounded cheap...and the barrel was sort of "Free floating" from the forearm in a way that left space between it and the forearm...looked like a bad fit, not free float, even though i know it was free floated.

i am all for an affordable rifle that can compete with both NEF and TC but this isn't the one for me i guess...

-Matt

Well...that's too bad...Those of us that do have them..and shoot them..know just how well they are built & shoot...None of mine make a "clacking " noise......it's a solid click when it locks up...It has a lot heavier spring in there...Does it resonate thru the stock...of course it does..just as all break actions do..wither they are in a synthetic stock or wood one..albeit not as much as a hollow synthetic does...I have opened and close different Handis...thousands of times...and the ejector barrels...sound way different than the extractor barrels do when doing this...All the new barrels they are coming out with this year..will have a tension screw that you can adjust on them for the amount of play in the forearm..the original barrels from the first production run doesn't have this..Quickdtoo sent me a picture of his 7-08 barrel...here's what it looks like...

I have the bead blasted stainless receiver..a few stainless barrels and a couple blued ones..Both my boys rifles are full blued..The stainless looks much nicer to me than the blue..but even on the blued ones..the finish isn't all that bad..I have seen a-lot worse on much more expensive rifles...

It's all a matter of personal taste really...some like them...others don't..At their price point...I think they can compete with any single shot in the calibers offered....and since they are relatively new to the market..I know it will take time before they catch on and have all the extra barrels available..and have some nice wood stocks for them too...If you get a chance to shoot one..you'll know why we like them as much as we do...then again...perhaps you won't...Some just can't get used to the styling...and that's understandable...It's not perfect..but..it isn't really bad either...

Mac

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 02:34:43 AM »
to each his own, i wouldn't be the one to tell you that you shouldn't shoot them. i may have picked up one that wasn't as well put-together was the ones you guys bought.

i ended up buying a GP-100 and it shoots great, so everyone is happy  ;D

-Matt

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 05:05:57 AM »

That happens...enjoy your Ruger.. ;)

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 05:28:17 AM »
Matt,

What caliber was the CVA you looked at? The reason I ask is a lot of folks that don't know the difference look at the other CVA break barrels that are made, like the Wolf and Optima that aren't the same as the Optima Elite. I've handled a Wolf, it is pretty much the way you describe, but it only costs $130 too!! The Elite is the only CVA that is available as a centerfire rifle. I have an Encore and the Optima Elite, there's not a lot of difference in the sound of lock up, and I had to do a fair amount of work to float the forend of the Encore, the Elite came that way from the factory and cost half of what the Encore sells for!! The Encore also came with a healthy 6½lb trigger, the Elite was a bit better at 5lbs-4oz, but sent it into CVA for a free 3½lb trigger job. ;D

Choices, that's what it's about. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mjbgalt

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 07:16:56 PM »
this one was the muzzleloader but it was part of a .50 caliber/.223 combo.

-Matt

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »
this one was the muzzleloader but it was part of a .50 caliber/.223 combo.

-Matt

Like you said, to each his own.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.