Author Topic: Locking problems with NEF 20g pardner  (Read 689 times)

Offline speedwayrobert

• Trade Count: (0)
Locking problems with NEF 20g pardner
« on: June 26, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »
I would appreciate advice, opinions, suggestions on how to deal with a gun that fails to lock in battery more times than not.  This gun belongs to a widow near by who is the original owner.  She said that she had fired it once.  I noticed that when the barrel was closed and locked moderate pressure on the barrel and wrist would snap the action open most of the time. I first noticed the problem when I closed the action after checking to see that it was unloaded.  When I stood it gun up the action opened.  I have  removed the forearm and cleaned the dust and oil residue from the breach face and from the locking shelf of the barrel.  I noticed that there was a small shiny area on the outer edge of the locking shelf which would seem to indicate that only a part of the locking bolt was making contact.  Obviously this is an unsafe condition, but is it one that will correct with repeated opening and closing or is it a send to the factory problem?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Locking problems with NEF 20g pardner
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 01:16:14 PM »
With the forend removed, will it lock up better? If the forend stud is not on straight, it can affect latch engagement, causes the one sided latch engagement, but that's not real common and an extreme. If it has an NA serial number prefix or later, H&R will fix it, or you can fix it yourself with the barrel fitting info in the Centerfire FAQs if it's not the forend stud issue. Their toll free number is (866)776-9292.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline speedwayrobert

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »
Thank you for the response and the information.  With the fore end off, it does not lock up any better.  The serial number begins with an N; I know that because I checked to see if a M/L barrel was available.  I'll have to look at it to see what the rest of number is.    I shall contact Marlin/NFA tomarrow.  Thanks again for the help

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »
Sounds like the pivot was cut wrong or the underlug was welded on a bit crooked, or possibly the latch is defective/broken. In any event, it needs to go back for repair. The first letter of the serial number  N = NEF, the second letter denotes the year it was built, you can find the build info in the Centerfire FAQs and Help sticky. ;)

Tim

Offline Blammer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 11:02:57 AM »
mine had the same problem, call NEF tell them the problem, send it in and get it fixed. It should only cost you shipping.

Offline speedwayrobert

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »
I've contacted NEF and intend to ship it back to them.  Thank you all for the information and the help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »
If you ask them to cover shipping, they usually do, either by issuing a UPS call tag or reimbursing you the cost of shipping. Also, if the trigger is too heavy for ya, they'll reduce it to ~3½lbs or so free, ya just gotta ask. ;)

Tim