Author Topic: Pardner 28ga youth  (Read 599 times)

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Pardner 28ga youth
« on: July 01, 2007, 06:47:27 AM »
This year I may have the opportunity to get my ex's 14yo(15 by hunting season) son out to hunt.  I just about have the ex talked into allowing her son to take the hunter safety course and get his license.  One problem though, this young man is of small stature - 4'-10" and about 74lbs.   He's a tough guy though, plays in little league and school football against guys twice his size or more.  But I worry the recoil of a 20ga might be too much for him.  I don't want to scare him off due to a bad recoil experience, but rather let him get accustomed to something then let him move up.  This is where the 28ga comes in...   I know the 410 would be ok, but it'd be somewhat limited to uses.  I've never ever fired a 28ga to know how it "feels"..   How much difference is there between the 20ga v. 28ga, and the .410bore v. 28ga??

Cost of shells isn't a concern for this opportunity to get the young man started in small game and fowl hunting.   I already have a rifle for him to use in deer season, Win 16" Trapper 45LC.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Pardner 28ga youth
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
I got my wife a 28 ga. a couple years ago and she loves it. She's small and didn't like the recoil from the 20 ga single and the 20 ga auto was too heavy for her to comfortably handle. The 28 ga perfoms remarkably like the 20 ga and would be adequate for most small game applications. I think it's a good choice.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline knight0334

• Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 02:16:06 PM »
Coolness..  :)  Thank you for the reply.

The 28ga sounds like the way to go for now..  Then if/when he's ready, I can send in for a 20ga barrel later.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:18:27 AM »
First off, I LOVE the 28ga!! I have a wonderful Rem 870 LWT. Its is VERY efficient and patterns better than most all other gages. As a matter of fact, more first time, perfect skeet scores, have been shot with it than any other gage. It truly is a wonderful gage.

BUT, You mentioned cost, it does cost a bit more and isn't as easy to find. (Not everybody stocks it and those that do likely will have limited choice of recipe) There is also NO steel shot, buck shot OR slugs available for the 28ga.

For all this as well as the cost of the barrel/gun required, I would check out some light 20's. Sounds like you already have a 20, no? Not sure, but there are a number of mfg's out there offering reduced recoil ammo now. maybe one offers some 20ga fodder?

Just a couple points to ponder.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:21:14 AM »
I would bet a 20 and fit a Limbsaver on it.  You will probably have to do a little stock modification due to his height, anyway.  You can probably find a lightly used 20 easier than a new 28...just my thoughts
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline gp911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 05:08:11 AM »
28 ga. slugs are available, if you roll your own. See: http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0721628

gp911

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 02:32:25 AM »
28 ga. slugs are available, if you roll your own. See: http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0721628

gp911
Isnt everything and anything avalible if you make it your self. ::) ::) ;) Besides most all states list 20ga as a minimum for big game.

I tried shotgun slugs long ago...woefully inaccurate!! Best was the ones that used a WWA shot cup and got crimped over like a shot charge. But power seemed way down... very little recoil. Just not worth the efforet IMHO.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.