Author Topic: 4th of July  (Read 415 times)

Offline Dave338

• Trade Count: (0)
4th of July
« on: July 03, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five were captured by the British as traitors, tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.

Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of  the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured .

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay,and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters.  He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Please say a prayer for all the men and women serving our country in the Armed Forces.  May they all, soon, come safely home, and  next time you see a Vet or Military Personel, stop and tell him thank you for his service.

Remember: freedom is never free!   Patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games. 

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: 4th of July
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 06:16:41 PM »
Amen to that, Dave338!!

Thanks for the history lesson, I didn't know any of that about the signers.  It really shows the individual cost they paid.  Like you said, we also need to remember the individual costs of veterans and those currently fighting for the Stars and Stripes!!

I will view the 4th with even more patriotism, pride, and respect  I assure you!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:00:38 AM »
Some of it is true, some is not.........

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:19:30 AM »
Were you aware that several of the signers didn't sign until years afterward? I wasn't until I watched a show on the History Channel about it. I forget the precise period of time they said passed before the last one signed it but it was several years. I'd hazard a guess those late signers didn't put themselves in much danger by doing so. But yes those early signers for sure did put their life and fate in jepordy by doing so.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 03:19:18 PM »
Well, I learned something today. I had always thought they all signed at once. POWDERMAN.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 06:07:38 PM »
Lot's of sacrifices for sure.  I saw a news story of approximate 50 service members that became U.S. citizens on the 4th.  That was impressive to me because they were obviously not born here, joined our military, and went through the trouble to become legal citizens.  It also made me angry to think of all the young protestors that rag on our country and our service men and women that sacrifice so much to afford them the liberty and freedom to spout off that nonsense.  >:( 

Last week as I was coming home from a business trip I saw two very young men at the Jacksonville airport.  If they had been out of year they had been out a day.  Anyway I got a kick out of them as they tried to memorize their standard orders.  When my flight finally arrived I shook their hand and thanked them for their committment and service to our country.