Author Topic: Quick shoot with the 223 and Mueller APV  (Read 1612 times)

Offline cascadedad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Quick shoot with the 223 and Mueller APV
« on: July 06, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »
I got out the morning of the 4th for a QUICK shoot. Only had about 1 hour to shoot.

Had bore sighted and man that saves some time. I LOVE the universal bore sighter I got from WalMart. I waited until it was late in the night and shined it across about 80 yards at the neighbor's house. Dialed the scope right on the dot.

Set up the target and shot it with the laser rangefinder....117 yards. The first shot was about 5" high and maybe 1" to the left. Not bad. After 2 shots, I was close enough to the bull. Oh, was shooting Winchester White Box ammo.

Then set up to shoot the square to see how the scope would do. Being in such a hurry, I really didn't take a lot of time doing this.

The pink dots form a 3" square. I adjusted 12 clicks at a time which should be 3" at 100 yards. I was at 117 yards.

After I shot the square, I made a quick adjustment and then shot one five shot group using the UltraMax ammo. Measured at 1 1/8".

Shot a couple water bottles with the Winchester hollow point at about 130 yards. Devestating!!!!! I could hear the THUD through the ear muffs.

The APV is a keeper.  ;D  ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Quick shoot with the 223 and Mueller APV
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:51:30 PM »
Nice report!!

Do you hand load? I'll bet you some tinkering with the gun and loads you can cut those groops in half!!  You got three in one hole there!!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:54:30 PM »
Great shootin, thanks!!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
Good shooting and nice report.The Mueller APV is the next scope I'll be buying.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »
I don't handload yet.  I have Dillon 550 reloader that my dad gave me a couple years ago.  I know, I know, don't give me hard time about it.  A couple months ago, I found a case + 2 boxes of the WWB ammo at a gun store, I think it might have been some of the last available to mankind.  The guy in the store said he was thinking hard about buying it himself, but he let me buy it.  Gave me a buck off a box since I was buying a case.  Anyway, I am shooting some of it up and then will gear up to start loading.  Probably be in the winter time, but I am looking forward to it.

Not to bad for factory ammo and a $350 rifle scope combo.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »
Sounds like ya got a heck of a combo there.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 05:30:20 PM »
I don't handload yet.  I have Dillon 550 reloader that my dad gave me a couple years ago.  I know, I know, don't give me hard time about it.  A couple months ago, I found a case + 2 boxes of the WWB ammo at a gun store, I think it might have been some of the last available to mankind.  The guy in the store said he was thinking hard about buying it himself, but he let me buy it.  Gave me a buck off a box since I was buying a case.  Anyway, I am shooting some of it up and then will gear up to start loading.  Probably be in the winter time, but I am looking forward to it.

I still have a couple of boxes even though I don't have a 223 anymore. ;D
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »

I still have a couple of boxes even though I don't have a 223 anymore. ;D

Hey Dale...You got a PM... ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 05:58:47 AM »
cascadedad...good "lookin" country country ya got there !! i love open country...i also like your portable shooting set-up...