Author Topic: Makin' Furniture  (Read 2892 times)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Makin' Furniture
« on: July 07, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »
 Oh Sorry, I mean "Furniture Grade Artillery" (for me) or Cannon/Mortar (for the rest)....  ;)  ;) Anyway, a while back when I was in Mansfield I aquired a GB mortar from a member of this board. I thought this mortar would be perfect for a sled. So, last weekend I  finally had a chance to start this project as can be seen below. Progress has been slower then I like but, with it being 105-110 degrees in the garage I'll take what I can get.

This is my mock up made of Poplar.

Cut Pieces.

Pieces set together.

I am in the process of staining it today and hopefully I will be able to get a few layers of Tung Oil on it tomorrow. I will post a few more pics later. Oh, and please don't ask for "Smoke & Flames" yet. I'm not going out to the desert for a couple of months. It's just to hot now.....  :o :o :o

P.S.- Powder can will follow later. ;D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Re: Makin' Furniture
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 05:00:25 PM »
 Beautiful.., Outstanding., The people who originally designed these pieces we all love so much., really got it right didn't they ?   It looks super , The wood is superb !   ;D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 05:01:26 PM »
No smoke, no fire, no powder can, no paint...no what else?   :)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 06:03:05 PM »
Tropico, Thanks!

No smoke, no fire, no powder can, no paint...no what else?   :)

I'm not worthy!!! I'm not worthy!!! :D  :D  :D

Offline das

• loosecannongunworks.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »
     Oh yes, I'm impressed. That's a nice looking sled. Do you plan to use a set of trunnion caps on it or just let the barrel set on it ?
    If you need a set I think I know someone who might have something that looks like they would fit this. Regardless that's a beauty piece !!!
David A. Steele   :eek:   Loose Cannon Gun Works, LLC 8)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 03:39:41 AM »
das, Thanks for the good words on the sled. It's a nice looking tube too!  ;)  ;)

Yes, I do plan on using a set of trunnion caps I will just need to make them but, thanks for your offer. I also need to make an elevating screw. Once those two things are done then I'll be able to toss a few balls.

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:39:52 AM »
good looking work, can't you take it in the house where it's cooler and work on it??? don't the desert cool down at night??? we don't want to wait a couple of months for fire and smoke pics..........
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline LivnDream

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »
what size is the trunnion bar i just made some trunnion straps for 1.5" 
got plenty left over if you need a set   let me know

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 04:24:03 PM »
LivnDream,

Thanks for the offer. However, I have already started to make mine which are 1.25".

lance,

No, I can't bring the project in. I just don't have the spare room. Plus it's a bit messy and I'm a bit sloppy.... :)
As, for it cooling down. The day hits 112-116 this time of year and it cools to 85-87 degrees at night. It's been 95 at 7:00am. So, I pretty much live an A/C lifestyle for a couple of months.

Progress was a bit slow today but, it's stained and sealed. I also, started the cap squares today. So, I guess I'll progress some more next weekend. I'm in no hurry....

Offline lance

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
looking great, can't wait to see it all come together. hey at least you have a dry heat, almost 100% humidity here.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »
Thanks, lance. I'm looking forward to the finish too.

hey at least you have a dry heat, almost 100% humidity here.

Oh, I remember that humidity stuff! That's sweater weather! When, I'm in it I'm a "Sweater"!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 03:20:37 PM »
That's real pretty Intodeep. You better keep a set of coasters in your limber, the back of that sled looks like a great place to set a drink. :-) Nice work! Tracy 

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 09:57:15 PM »
Tracy,

The type base Intodeep made  is very popular with the mortar shooters.  It is a very pleasing appearing base. It has been reported to be a copy of a Confederate  Coehorn Mortar base. ( I believe the only place I have ever seen that reference was on Cannon Mania's website--so much for credibility) I have never seen a picture of such a base on any Confederate or US Coehorn pattern.

I think were the reference comes from is this picture from Harold Peterson's Round Shot and Rammer's.

Now that ain't no Coehorn.

Heres some of the real thing.

I have  Antique Ordnance Plan set #44 of these guns.

It turns out the cheeks to this gun are made of  cast iron.  Tracy you could do them in steel plate.

Full Circle!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 02:06:06 PM »
Well, It was a two shirt day! Damn humidity....>:( Today was 109 with high humidity. But, I can pretty much say I'm finished with my GB Sled. I may do some more tweaking on the elevating mechanism.

As, you can see there is even a powder can in the photo. All in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out and I would like to Thank das for the tube. Next I'll need to get out an launch balls. ;D

P.S.- I guess I need to find a space in the living room for it.....

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 03:53:53 PM »
Sweet.. WOW! I like.. If you don't find any space in your living.. I can make some Room in mine.. Don't forget Fire & Smoke PLEASE!!! 

Offline lance

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »
really great job, plus that's one of the nicest elevating devices i've seen......... need a shirt, i'll give you the one off my back, you might have to wring it out first.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 06:54:16 PM »
That's a pretty handsome looking gunners mate in the picture. How many barks for " fire in the hole"?
 ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »
Intodeep, that turned out really nice! It's a keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing the pics and info D.D. those are neat. I haven't decided what to make out of the 6" round x 18'" long solid steel die cylinders work through away. Dang I need a lathe, work might get tired of me turning there machine shop into a cannon factory. Maybe I'll just start going in a couple hours early. I don't want to hijack your thread Intodeep  I think your piece has nice lines and oozes quality. Did Someone say its hot, it only got up to 102 degrees with 40% humidity in the shop today. the record is 117 degrees.  Keep cool Tracy 

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »
In most cases  I think the raw wood finished don't  look right  on most cannon and mortar bases.  And, history seems to  indicate that this pattern really should have cast iron cheek an be painted black.  That said,  I have yet to see one of these that you guys have built in raw wood that I didn't like.

Intoodeep,  when I get  back to America, land of the free and home of the brave, you are gonna have to hop on I-15 and  bring that up to Cut Bank so we can shoot it.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 07:08:29 PM »
Sorry for the multi reply below. I think this will get me caught up.

really great job, plus that's one of the nicest elevating devices i've seen......... need a shirt, i'll give you the one off my back, you might have to wring it out first.

Lance, Thanks. No Sweat about the shirt.....;D

That's a pretty handsome looking gunners mate in the picture. How many barks for " fire in the hole"?
 ;D

Thanks for the gunners mate comment. That's Daisy Mae. She should bark four times for "Fire In The Hole" (I'll need to work on that a bit). :D

Did Someone say its hot, it only got up to 102 degrees with 40% humidity in the shop today. the record is 117 degrees.  Keep cool Tracy 

Ouch, that Hot & Sticky.... I hope it cools down for ya.

Intoodeep,  when I get  back to America, land of the free and home of the brave, you are gonna have to hop on I-15 and  bring that up to Cut Bank so we can shoot it.

DD, Thanks for the offer. I would look forward to something like that. So, will this be in 2011???

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 07:50:51 PM »
Nice job, that  wood looks sweet!

Now I know who to hang out with next time I'm visiting in-laws (Boulder City)! I'll be in Yerington for a week next week, then back for several weeks later this Fall. The superfund site we're working on would make an excellent cannon range! ;D I doubt the EPA would agree, though!
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline das

• loosecannongunworks.com
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »
   WOW !!! How Cool. :) I've been watching this post closely for some time now.  I have a personal  interest in GB mortars.
   I have a few of them setting around the house myself. But I sure don't have anything quite this nice. This is as fine a sled as I believe I've ever seen !! If you don't mind, Intoodeep, is there a chance that I could get a set of plans from you? A piece like that would sure be nice to add to my liveing room. Yep, just what I need is another toe stubber. At least according to my wife.
   Again I will say, How Cool :) Best regards, David.
David A. Steele   :eek:   Loose Cannon Gun Works, LLC 8)

Offline lance

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 03:40:17 PM »
Intoodeep, any chance of a close up pic of the elevator, i really like the looks of it. well, i like the whole mortar to be honest with you,and Daisy Mae too.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »
   WOW !!! How Cool. :) I've been watching this post closely for some time now.  I have a personal  interest in GB mortars.
   I have a few of them setting around the house myself. But I sure don't have anything quite this nice. This is as fine a sled as I believe I've ever seen !! If you don't mind, Intoodeep, is there a chance that I could get a set of plans from you? A piece like that would sure be nice to add to my liveing room. Yep, just what I need is another toe stubber. At least according to my wife.
   Again I will say, How Cool :) Best regards, David.

das,

Thanks for the good words. Now, for the plans. To be honest I'm not real experienced with autocad. I started out to do it in autocad but, I didn't like the way it was turning out. So, I scraped that idea and just started to sketch out my pattern on an old piece of poplar. Then, I started cutting away till I got a shape I liked. If you would like I can mail you a basic side pattern that you can use for the shape. Just PM your address and I'll get that out.

As, for the "toe stubber" I know what you mean. Them things can hurt!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 04:58:19 PM »
Intoodeep, any chance of a close up pic of the elevator, i really like the looks of it. well, i like the whole mortar to be honest with you,and Daisy Mae too.

Aaarrrggggh! Now, I'm embarrassed! This is the part I'm not quite happy with. It still needs some tweaking/cleaning up. I used the "Tack & Blob" method for this as you can see. ;D Please don't beat me up too much!!! :-[

The screw part is from a cheap Harbor Freight "C" clamp (Buggers have a 10mm thread too). The black washer that the screw runs through has a 10mm nut welded on the back side (that was welded alot nicer but, you don't see it ). The handle was another 10mm nut that I drilled pockets into and then "attempted" to weld the 1/8' rods to. Which was not easy when you don't have the proper stuff to hold the pieces in place. If I was to do it again I would have used heavier stock maybe, 3/16" rods.

Offline lance

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »
nothing to be embarrassed about, you posted back a few you were still tweaking on it. i like the ideal of the longer rods, would be easier to reach them. it's a great design, and i'm sure it will tweak out just fine. are you going to color it, i'm lazy at times,i would probably heat it and drop it in some motor oil, it would come out dull blue. thanks for the pics, keep'em coming.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »
Lance,

I was just going to paint it a brass color.

Offline lance

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 05:17:19 PM »
painting is even more lazy than heating ;D the brass look would be a nice bit of color contrast.

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 05:42:19 PM »
painting is even more lazy than heating ;D the brass look would be a nice bit of color contrast.

Correction painting is even more authetic than heating.

Brass will get buggered up from firing and may even bend.

Offline lance

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 05:57:27 PM »

Brass will get buggered up from firing and may even bend.
[/quote] guess that's why them old timers perfered iron ones.............