Author Topic: Converting .357 to .44 Special  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
Converting .357 to .44 Special
« on: July 07, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »
Does any one know a good gunsmith that can convert a .357 K-frame to .44 Spl.?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
Re: Converting .357 to .44 Special
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »
Give Dave Clements a call...

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

He's absolutely as good as it gets in my opinion.

Offline Gator

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »
I'm a new guy here, but maybe I can answer your question.  Spokanguns used to make a five shot .44 Spl conversion on S&W K frames, but he (sorry, I can't remember the smiths' name)  stopped because even with a five shot cylinder the chamber walls were very thin.  The K frame is just not big enough for the .44 Spl.

The S&W 696 is a great gun, if you can find one.  They are a bit pricey, but still far less than a conversion.  Here's mine:

I've also got a 686 I plan on having converted  ;D

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:18:28 PM »
The K frame is just not big enough for the .44 Spl.

I was afraid of that.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:49:04 PM »
gator hit it on the head. No one is going to convert a k frame to any bigger cartridge. An L frame can be done in 41 special 44 special or 4o sw if a 5 shot clyinder is used. But the cost will surely run higher then bucking up and paying the high price for a 696 or 396. There sweet guns. I sold my 396 about 4 years ago because the darned thing kicked like a mule with heavy loads. Bought a 696 then before the prices skyrocketed on them. MY buddy just talked me out of it and its a sale im probably going to regret as there about the neatest little trail gun smith ever made.
blue lives matter

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 11:58:40 AM »
I have never seen a Charter Arms Bulldog, so how does their frame size compare to the K-frame?
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline dirtydawg

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 05:32:16 PM »
A Charter arms bulldog will fit in your back jeans back pocket but you will want to reload as only cowboy loads are readily available., I load 180 XTP,s around 850 FPS and wouldnt want anything hotter.

Offline Gator

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 06:26:16 PM »
I think a Charter Bulldog is pretty close to a K frame in size.  A Bulldog is 22 ozs and a 3" model 60 is 24 ozs; gotta figure in the smaller chambers and bore for the 60 though.  Taurus has a nice 2 1/2" .44 too.  They have been discontinued, but I still see them on dealers shelves.  I have heard the new Bulldogs are of better quality than the old ones, but the Taurus certainly has a nicer fit and finish.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 09:39:29 AM »
The Bulldogs are good guns.  Not as pretty as some of the others, but a nice, lightwt (steel frame) packing gun.  These gun are under-rated big time.  I have owned several Charters and enjoyed them all.  It should be on your consideration list.  Mine shoots much better with jacketed bullets than cast.  My favorite load is the 200 gr HP Blazer ammo or a handloaded equilivent.  According to the old Speer manual, (#11) the guns will handle warm loads, but the recoil is unpleasant with them and I agree.  44 Man

This one has been made pretty by Mag-na-port.  Mag-na-port used to make a pocket gun on the Charter .44s called the Alaskan, where the barrel was cut back to 1 5/8", no sights, ported, and Metalifed (hard chrome finish). 
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 03:54:08 PM »
There is a guy who posts on here, every once in a while, that has one done by Spokanguns. He has pictures also. Maybe he'll see your post and reply? When I saw his pics, I got all cranked up about having one done but, contacted them and was told NO MORE.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 12:58:32 AM »
i've checked with with local smith's, and both say as before stated not worth the cost to do the same.
i ended up with taurus  6"44 special which i enjoy shooting. another alternative out there is the
s&w model 21. a real beaut that i am still trying to figure out a way to add to my colleection.
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 03:03:15 AM »
Well, if Taurus is your cup of tea??
AF&AM #294

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 12:41:50 PM »
If you can find one, don't overlook the 'out of print' Rossi's.  From memory only, I believe the model numbers were 730 for fixed sights and 731 for adjustable.  Those I have seen were well fitted with fine actions.  They have also shown more consistant quality than Taurus.  Remember though, with their small frames, they are not for hot loads.

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 02:39:22 PM »
 and may i say a fine cup of tea.
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Gator

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 03:19:44 PM »
Sorry for the poor pic, but here is my Rossi 720:

They are great little .44s, and surprisingly accurate. 

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 03:53:22 PM »
gator nice looking revolver.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 03:59:20 PM »
i've checked with with local smith's, and both say as before stated not worth the cost to do the same.
i ended up with taurus  6"44 special which i enjoy shooting. another alternative out there is the
s&w model 21. a real beaut that i am still trying to figure out a way to add to my colleection.

I was born in America, live in America, work in America, and unless something drastic happens will probably die in America. I'll buy American goods when ever possible, and have work done by American craftsmen when ever I need work done by another person.
I know that today the mindset is a world economy but, that not the way I see things. With that said  I do not disagree with anyone having the right to have  a different opinion.
My $.02.
AF&AM #294

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »
  It's a bunch of bull that the "K" frame isn't big enough or strong enough to be a 44 spl...  The reason no one will build you one, is because many of the owners were trying to shoot MAGNUM LOADS in them and that's a no no!  If you want a mag, buy a mag!!  I was told by the builder to not exceed 1,000 fps with my loads and i haven't.  I've had my "K" frame 44 spl. for many years now, and it's held up just fine!

Here's my M-19 44 spl., next to my M-29 44 mag...

DM

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 11:25:35 PM »
Drilling Man,thenks, I hoped you'd see this post and put up a picture of those beauties again.
AF&AM #294

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 02:18:03 AM »
I called Dave Clements a while back and I'm going to send 1 of my Ruger 357's to get the conversion done. I've got an early 70's pre-warning  4 5/8" barreled one to be done. Think he said it would be around $ 450. My favorite 44 Spl now is my S&W 696.

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 04:39:52 AM »
thank you sb now pass the sugar.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 03:52:51 PM »
I called Dave Clements a while back and I'm going to send 1 of my Ruger 357's to get the conversion done. I've got an early 70's pre-warning  4 5/8" barreled one to be done. Think he said it would be around $ 450. My favorite 44 Spl now is my S&W 696.

I've had Dave do some work for me and I think you'll be happy with his work?
AF&AM #294

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 05:39:40 PM »
there is one of dave clements conversions over on the ruger board for sale. i gotta say he does some nice work.dan

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 05:31:11 AM »
your no doubt right but there lies the problem. A gunsmith is going to be skeptical about marking it with his name when there is an abundance of loads printed on the computer for 44 special ammo that creates more pressure then your gun will take. Same goes for my 41 speical single six. Gallagher talked to me on the phone for quite a while before he had enough faith in me and my loading abilitys to build it. Id about bet your k frame would take keith level loads but i wouldnt count on it lasting long doing it. It probably wouldnt blow up but it would shake itself loose in short order. There lies the other problem not to many smiths want a gun thats shot loose and looks sloppy with there name on it either. As to a 5 shot 44 special k frame it to me is kind of silly. Even with the overinfllated prices 696s and even 396s are fetching it still would be a hell of a lot cheaper then having one built.  You or i might know better and take care of one but id about bet if he built 30 of them one idiot would have to push it over the limit and in this day and age of liability and law suits if i was a smith i wouldnt build it either.
  It's a bunch of bull that the "K" frame isn't big enough or strong enough to be a 44 spl...  The reason no one will build you one, is because many of the owners were trying to shoot MAGNUM LOADS in them and that's a no no!  If you want a mag, buy a mag!!  I was told by the builder to not exceed 1,000 fps with my loads and i haven't.  I've had my "K" frame 44 spl. for many years now, and it's held up just fine!

Here's my M-19 44 spl., next to my M-29 44 mag...

DM

blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 10:16:57 AM »
Even with the overinfllated prices 696s and even 396s are fetching it still would be a hell of a lot cheaper then having one built. 

I agree with a lot of what you said, but  i've never been one to always look for the cheaper way out...  If i wanted something, and it cost a bit more to get what "i" wanted, i'd just save longer untill i could afford it...  I'd much rather have "one" of what i wanted than "three" of something i didn't...

So, for "you" it may be silly, but for "me" maybe it isn't....  No matter, i've had mine a long long time, and i'm happy i did what i did...

It always amuses me, when someone can't understand why another person has a gun they want, that may be more expensive, and then the whiner has a closet full of guns that add up to a lot more than the guy that saved to get what HE wanted...

DM

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »
I solved my 44 sp problem by cutting 7.5" SBH to 4.75" and load 44 sp for it to carry in the field. The cost was a lot less than a conversion. Cleaning the crud out of the cylinders is not a big negative to me, and I like shooting the special, using 210 sthp, and 240 swc getting out around 950 -1050.
Jim

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »
Jim n Iowa,

AF&AM #294