Author Topic: Slug Gun Pictures  (Read 57246 times)

Offline dougk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Slug Gun Pictures
« on: July 11, 2007, 02:24:28 PM »
If you have pictures of your slug gun feel free to post them here.
Thanks
Doug

Offline NYH1

Re: Slug Gun Pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:52:02 AM »
I posted this picture a few months ago. It's a Remington 11-87 Sportsman Deer 12 ga. with a 21" fully rifled barrel, Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope.

"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Pydpiper

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:45:37 AM »
My 870, full camo, fully rifled.

Offline Boxhead

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »
Here's mine,

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:37:20 AM »
Boxhead,
In that a AyA shotgun?  Sure looks like a Spanish model.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Boxhead

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 04:56:13 PM »
Close, it's a Ugartechea and an incredible shooter, pairs inside 2 1/2" right on top of the front sight at 50 yards with the Rottweil Brenneke MP slug.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:57:27 PM »
Mine is a Valmet 412 12 ga over 222.  I have another barrel to fit, which is a 12 ga over 243.

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »
My two 20-gauge slug guns. They are both Thompson-Center TCR's with custom fully rifled barrels. My son like's the short one with the 18-1/4 inch barrel. I prefer the balance of the other one. I prefer Hornaday SST slugs and the big bullet looking cartridges are 720-grain bullets loaded into turned brass cases.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 01:45:38 PM »
[img width= height= alt=image hosting by https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/]https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/spanky9773/picture035_1.jpg[/img]

This is my 20 gauge that I had drilled and tapped.
I will be using it for close range deer hunting.

Spanky

Offline mparks

• Mick's outdoor page
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »
Here is my Browning A-Bolt.  50 yard 5-shot group:

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »

Here are our two scoped NEF Tracker II's in 20 ga. We like the 3" Winchester Partition Gold sabot slugs. We had our smith drill and tap these guns and used a NEF scope rail and hammer spur. We are very happy with this set up.

Offline Topper

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 12:08:57 PM »
 :-\

Offline CLAY

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 08:01:35 AM »
This the only one I have- I got these two bucks with it about 20 minutes apart.

870 Supermag with a superslug barrel.

Offline Bruce A. Hering

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 07:07:13 AM »
Here is "the Beast".  H&R USH.  Its a work in progress.  See my thread on the NEF/H&R Shotgun site

half a trigger job and a bunch of wood taken off with more to come.......

Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Instructor
Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
Southeastern Illinois College
Collegiate Shotgun Coach
2009 ACUI 3rd Place National Champions
NSCA Level III Instructor

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 09:18:42 AM »
Box,
Nice side by side.  Is it fully rifled and how do I get one? 
A friend of mine cut down a 3.5" 12ga side by side and had Remington chokes installed in the right tube to make a paradox gun kind of.  I think he cut it too short and would have gone with 22 to 24 inches.  He cut it to 18.5 and installed Remington sights off of a nylon 66.
I have been looking for another 3.5" side by side to build up a slug gun but it's low on my list since I mainly hunt with a rifle.

Offline gooser

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »
Here's my mossberg 835, fully rifled,red dot sight. I usually have a sling on it,but had taken it off to paint the gun.

aim small miss small,
think small,miss not at all

Offline dstegjas

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 05:31:22 PM »
I decided to go with the Winchester Super X3 slug gun. It has the 22" rifled Cantilever deer barrel on it. I like the gun metal grey finish with the composite stock on it.I purchased a Winchester Super X1 back in the 70's and still have it. I always said I wouldn't buy one of the new Super X shotguns until I wore the orginal one out. Well, it doesn't look like that's going to happen in my life time. So I broke down and got one of the Super X3's. If it's anything like the orginal it should be great.

Jim
Ohhh, so many guns and so little time to buy them.  :)

Offline 358Thumper

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
My two 20-gauge slug guns. They are both Thompson-Center TCR's with custom fully rifled barrels. My son like's the short one with the 18-1/4 inch barrel. I prefer the balance of the other one. I prefer Hornaday SST slugs and the big bullet looking cartridges are 720-grain bullets loaded into turned brass cases.

Really Like your TCR's . Can you tell me if those are the magnum actions?or Aristocrats? Where did you get the barrels? Thanks In Advance

Offline jrkrk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
Iowa Don what size brass is that 20ga 2 3/4" or 3.00".  Which bullets are you using and how did you load them?

Offline IOWA DON

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 03:01:42 AM »
jrkrk - The chamber is 2-3/4 inch. When I had the barrel put together I think that virtually all sabot 20-gauge slugs were 2-3/4 inch. The brass cases are from Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company and were based on a chamber casting so they fit very precisely. I don't even have to resize them after shooting. The neck area has enough tension to hold a new bullet. They use shotgun primers. I have a NEI Handtool mold for the bullets. It is a for 720 grains and is a cutdown design of their 900 grain bullet for a .600 Nitro Express. I have hollow pointed some with a 3/8-inch drill to reduce the weight to 550 grains. I load AA5744 powder (the black powder substitute) for 1,000 fps with the 720 grain bullets or 1,300 fps with the 550 grain bullets. The 720 grain bullets are fun for plinking and very accurate at 50 yards. I've got one deer with each of the big lead slugs but lots with Winchester and Hornaday sabot slugs.
358-Thumper - The top one is a magnum action and the bottom one is a standard action. That is not the original stock on the top one, but is from an Aristocrat. Thompson Center put it on the gun after the original stock broke. Guess they did not have one to match the original. Not sure, but I think the Aristocrat model featured a double-set-trigger, a buttstock with a cheek piece, and a forearm with the release lever rather than a release screw. I don't know if they were made in magnum, but I know they could be converted. The Thompson Center custom shop converted one of my regular actions to magnum and then stamped it as a magnum. I also have a double-set-trigger action which Virgin Valley converted to magnum. Someone at the Thompson Center custom shop told me the standard actions are as strong as the magnum actions. The difference is that the locking pin in the regular actions can move under recoil and result in the action opening. On the magnum actions that pin is locked. I had a gunsmith pull 12-gauge smoothbore slug barrels out of the monoblocks and replace them with fully rifled 20-gauge barrels. The short barrel was from an ER Shaw barrel blank and the other from a french-made barrel blank sold by Hastings. After the gunsmith press-fit and welded in the new barrels, I had them Cryo-stress-relieved. The outside contour is the same as the factory 10-gauge barrels. Even then they are not heavy. The one with the longer barrel probably weighs 8-1/2 pounds with scope. With the factory 12-gauge slug barrels they are so light that recoil is really bad. These are very pleasant to shoot with the sabot slugs and the 720 grain bullets at 1,000 fps. The 550 grain bullets at 1,300 fps feel about like a a regular 12-gauge field load.

Offline jrkrk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 11:39:44 AM »
Thanks Iowa. Are you using and wad material under  the bullet or just powder and bullet? I thought this might be cool to try in my 20ga ultra slug gun.

Offline IOWA DON

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
I am not using any wads or spacers. That is not supposed to be needed with AA5744 powder. I intended to use black powder, but then got concerned about cleaning and barrel corrosion. I did not mention, but I have rifle type reloading dies and they cost a lot, and for these one needs to have a big reloading press like the RCBS one where .50 BMG cartridges can be reloaded. The project cost more than I would have guessed, but it is sure fun plinking with 720 grain bullets. Sure glad I got a good supply of lead! The loaded 20-ga brass cartridges make .45-70's look like midgets. People at the rifle range usually ask what they are.

Offline 358Thumper

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 02:37:22 PM »
Thanks for your reply Iowa Don. Those are some sweet rigs you got there. Those loads look pretty darn cool too.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 07:41:01 AM »
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »
[im
g][/img] 
1100 Rem, Hastings barrel, and Burris handgun scope 2x7x32 Ballistic Plex
12ga. USH with Nikon Monach 3x9x40 BDC
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »
Hi All, somewhat new to any serious sluggun shooting. At this time I have a 410 bore that I had made into a slug shooter. Cut and crowned the barrel, 4X32 scope mounted, an sighted in with Brenneke  and Winchester foster type slugs. Shoots with amazing accuracy for a smoothbore. scout4<><

Offline jjenkins

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
i bought this savage back in September or October and finally took it out huntin. Lightfield 3" mag 1 1/4 oz slug double lung he went about 40 yards. 150 lbs.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 04:45:04 AM »
Sorry, all I've got is a stock photo so far. Remington 11-87 fuly rifled barrel w/ cantilever sacope mount. I put a Nikon scope on it. Almost one hole (one clover shaped hole) at fifty yards with rottweil breneke 1 1/8 ounce short field magnums.

GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Marlin_444

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
  • Stand in the corner and SCREAM WITH ME!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 05:28:07 PM »
Just getting started with my Mossberg 600 AT 24" Rifled Slug Gun!

Let me know your ideas for scoping this puppy!

Ron
SCREAM A LITTLE and I'll see you at the lake, around the beach, on the mountain & in the woods on this side or the other... Ron

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
Savage Fox B

This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!