Author Topic: USH Scope & Mount set-up  (Read 661 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
USH Scope & Mount set-up
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »
Since purchasing a used USH 12ga a couple months ago, I had been undecided on what to use for a scope and mount combination.  I came upon this set-up after seeing a 3X9X40 Banner with a 6" eye relief at a local shop.  I wondered if the 6" relief would prove to long, but it works just fine with the Weaver 82 base.  No modification were needed to the base.  The ocular bell sits a bit over the hammer but the Leupold high Rifleman rings provide plenty of clearance.  The rear ring is approximately 1/8" from the ocular bell.  It worked fine today at the range, but I need to move the scope back a bit as my face is a bit farther forward on the stock as I like.   

Using Lightfield Hybrid EXP's the USH was quick to zero at 100 yards.  Two shots at 25 yards to get it in the bull.  The first shot at 100 yards was at 4:00 5" low.  The Banner adjustments were accurate.  The next four shots surrounded the bull within the eight ring.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: USH Scope & Mount set-up
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »
Looks good Joe, all ya need to do is cut another rear cross slot(see FAQs) in the #82 and move the scope a little forward, looks like you have about ¾" before you hit the turret saddle.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
Thanks Quick. 

I thought I might have to do that when I mounted it.  I don't think I have to come back far enough for the front ring to hit the turret saddle.  Probably 1/4 -1/2".  I could make do with it how it is,  just trying to get it perfect.

Joe

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »
Perfect would be where you CAN"T get hit by the scope!! :o ;D I dunno if you read my cheap scope rail thread, but cutting a cross slot is reeeeal easy with a carbide blade in a table saw!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:47:28 PM »
Been there, done that  :o    I did read your scope rail thread.  Definitely easier than trying to file it or use a Dremmel.   ;)

Thanks, Joe

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 01:23:49 AM »
That 82 base is just the ticket for the longer scopes. Thing is not to many people use a long scope!!

Personally, I like to keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible. But that set up look like its working well for you and overall looks great.

You are right to move it back a bit if you feel like your crowding the scope. Ergonomics are important for safe accurate shooting. If you don't, I fear even with the extra eye relief its a recipe for eyebrow scope ring!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 06:09:21 AM »
That 82 base is just the ticket for the longer scopes. Thing is not to many people use a long scope!!

Personally, I like to keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible. But that set up look like its working well for you and overall looks great.

You are right to move it back a bit if you feel like your crowding the scope. Ergonomics are important for safe accurate shooting. If you don't, I fear even with the extra eye relief its a recipe for eyebrow scope ring!!

Good luck,
 CW

;)