Author Topic: 45 Colt barrel Small Problem  (Read 803 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
45 Colt barrel Small Problem
« on: July 14, 2007, 05:41:40 AM »
This one is for Quick (or anyone else that might have an answer :D)  I just got a 45 Colt barrel from SDN921 (Thanks again Scott)  I put it on my Handi and headed out for an enjoyable afternoon of trying out some different loads and some of the first that I tried out "Trail Boss" in.  I also loaded up some hot ones with JHP bullets in a variety of weights.  First off let me say that for no more time than I had and granted that I was only at 25 yards, I have to say that this thing is a real shooter! ;D  It shot everything well and two of the hot loads and one of the mild plinkers were awsome.  I mean with my eyes, open sights and not much time to spare, two of the jacketed loads could be covered by a Quarter and the 200 gr. cast LSW could be covered by a Quarter with room to spare.  Now the problem.  With all of the loads except the super light plinkers, the brass was hung in the barrel and I ended up having to remove it each time with a pair of pliers.  I think by the looks of things the extractor is catching the brass along the sides when it swells to seal the chamber and you can see the scratches where the upper corners on the outer most tips of the extractor are catching the brass.  Tim, I thought I remembered you having some sort of problem like this.  Did you fix it yet?  I am wondering about puting a slight bevel and polish on the extractor and knocking the sharp corners off.  What do you think, or more importantly what did you do with yours?

Thanks,

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 45 Colt barrel Small Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 05:51:24 AM »
Yes, I did, had to use pliers to remove the spent cases! The extractor was too high on the left side, made a scatch down the brass when I removed the spent case. I removed the extractor and touched it up with a dremel to remove just enough from the left side so the fired brass no longer was being scratched by the extractor,  works fine now.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:10:26 AM »
Thanks Tim,

I thought I had read something about that.  Mine is making two scratches down either side of where the extractor lies at its outer most edges.  How does yours shoot?  I had some fantastic groups but then being the dummy I am, spoiled them by firing two more rounds for a total of five.  Even the enlarged groups were wonderful by my standards. 

Wolfgang

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 06:15:58 AM »
It shoots reeeal good with the 250gr Speer GDHP, I also tried a 230gr cast bullet, but had scope problems, so the results of that load work will have to wait for the next range trip.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,118881.msg1098392036.html#msg1098392036

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 03:02:34 PM »
Well Quick,

I took the extractor out and had to do a lot of work with the dremel and some stones.  I was getting a little worried that I was taking too much off.  I got it so that the expanded casings will go in and out without too much difficulty but it took a lot of screwing around.  I hope I didn't mess it up.  Guess I'll find out the next time I get a chance to go out and shoot.

Wolfgang

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 03:08:47 PM »
It's easy to take too much metal off, but tough to put any metal back on, so it's good to take your time and check often, there's not much leeway tween removing just enough ;D and too much  :o!!

Tim

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:10:07 AM »
Is this a 'common' problem with the majority of 45 colt barrels?
RJ

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:10:04 AM »
Other  than mine and Wolfgang's, I've not read of anyone else having the problem. Maybe they all do it some, but ours were just a little worse. :-\

Tim