Author Topic: case length trimmer 7-30 waters  (Read 1563 times)

Offline tmar04

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
case length trimmer 7-30 waters
« on: July 14, 2007, 03:13:41 PM »
I have just recently bought a 7-30 waters barrel for my contender and intend to do some handloading. What kind of case length trimmer should I use? I have a Lee that I use for my .223 loads and it works good. I like the way it squares the neck so evenly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not many of the companies make them specifically for 7-30 cal.  thanks to all.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: case length trimmer 7-30 waters
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »
I use the Lee cutters to trim my all of my brass. I have a Skill battery operated hand held screw driver that I chuck the brass in.

For my 7-30 Waters I bot the Lee 7-08mm case length gage. Now, that gage is not quite long enough (I think by 5 or 10 thousands) as it will cut too much off the 7-30 case. So, what I did was take a piece of solid brass rod that fit (not threaded...just would slide into the cutter) into the cutter. Then I filed off a little of the solid brass rod until the gage would seat against the solid brass rod. This made the length long enough to cut the 7-30 to the correct length.

I hope this helps.

Dave.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
I started with the Lee 30-30 and sanded it down with a drill and grinder and finished with a piece of 220 grit paper until it fit the neck of the 7-30. The trimmed length is close enough. IMHO

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline tmar04

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 04:44:23 PM »
Davemuss.  I am having a little problem understanding how you did this. Do you happen to have a picture of this case length gauge after you modified it?  Thanks. email to tmar04@bellsouth.net

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:22:25 AM »
Ok, here's the pic's and the explanatiion: I took a small piece of round brass and filed it so the Lee 7-08 length gauge would not "seat" all the way down against the cutter when I tightened it. If you look at the sequence of photos, in the first photo I shot the cutter, brass piece and the guage, second photo is the brass piece in the cutter, and the third photo is when the guage is tightened down, there is a small gap between the guage and the cutter. That's because the brass piece that is in the cutter is jammed between the thread end of the guage and the inside of the cutter. Now I get the correct length for the Waters brass.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:02:57 AM »
Would this work?

The 7-30 Waters cartridge length is 2.040"

The 7mm Mauser is 2.244"

Both have the same opening size of .2845"

Couldn't you just grind .204" off the guide pin of the LEE 7mm Mauser length gage and use it for the 7-30 Waters?

Bill

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 07:37:16 AM »
Bill,

That may very well be "do-a-ble" but.....then you may also have to grind off some of the cone at the end of the case length gage. Remember, that guide pin has to go thru the base of the brass. And if you've ever cut a piece of brass apart, there is quite a bit of brass in that section.

I'm not sayin that wouldn't work, but 20 thou may be just enough to leave the pin too short. Worth a try maybe.

Dave

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
Dave,

Good point!

After looking/measuring  some of my LEE rifle length gages there is only about .120" to .130" extra pin, so as you stated, unless removing some of the cone, it doesn't look like a solution.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 08:07:38 AM »
On cases that do not have a lee set up i use a Lyman elec. case trimmer , works great and saves alot of time !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »
I know I found an old post here but if you call Lee with dimensions they will make any size case length guage you want..$19.. just had em make me one for a 375JDJ..
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 03:50:39 AM »
Had Lee make me a 7-30 Waters gage. Got it about 4 days after I called order in. Sure beats going thru all the gyrations in this thread.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:11:38 AM »
Had Lee make me a 7-30 Waters gage. Got it about 4 days after I called order in. Sure beats going thru all the gyrations in this thread.

Yep, quick easy and reasonably cheap!
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start