Author Topic: BC descision questions  (Read 725 times)

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
BC descision questions
« on: July 14, 2007, 09:41:13 PM »
Hello All,

I am new to the forums and would like to ask a few questions.  I was recently given clearance by the war department (wife) to purchase a new rifle.  I am leaning heavily toward the BC in 45-70.  I would like to use it as a hunting rifle for larger game (elk and maybe an oryx some day) First question, Is it worth the extra $125 for 10 inches of barrel and some checkering?  Second,  what kind of range and accuracy do you get out of the BC vs the Handi in 45-70?  Third, I currently cast all of my lower velocity bullets (hand gun and muzzle loader), does anyone have a favorite cast bullet and do you shoot with or without a gas check?  Fourth, I like the idea of interchangeable barrels, can I have other barrels besides the 38-55 fitted to the BC action?  Fifth, any favorite reloads (I'm not into supercharging and living on the edge) that you find shoot well in the BC and/or Handi in 45-70? 
Thanks in advance
Leonard

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: BC descision questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:14:42 AM »
1st off welcome to GBO. ;D You will find there are a great bunch of guys here with all levels of knowledge. I personally do not own a 45-70, but there are lots that do and I have read posts as to what they like. As far as the BC vs 22" barrel, I do not think it will make a twits difference in performance between the two, you said that you do not push the limit. The BC barrel is heavier thus helping reduce recoil. The BC will give you a longer sight radius with iron sights. Checkered walnut stocks and fore ends, case hardened frame are very nice and they come with some pretty good iron sights. I would say if you wanted to use it with iron sights get the BC if you want to scope it get the 22". It is up to you if the $125 is worth it or not. The BC action is a SB2 frame so any rifle barrel can be fitted. The BC does not come with a "ventilated recoil pad", it comes with a "case colored crescent steel buttplate". You could buy a regular rifle and send it in for a BC barrel. I do not think the barrel comes with the iron sights, you would have to purchase them separately (extra). I will defer the load questions to some of the guys who shoot them. There are lots of folks that do shoot them with jacketed and cast bullets. They are very popular with the members here. :o
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 02:46:28 AM »
 Dear Irrice:
  Welcome! LaOtto222 said it very well. My impressions are that the 45/70 Handi is very nice to carry with the shorter barrel, but my 38/55 Target holds much steadier offhand, and it's only 6 inches longer!
 Now I've handled the Buff Classic, and it felt like a muzzleloader to me. I liked that! Very steady offhand, and yet it carried so comfortably, like my muzzleloader, that the extra weight didn't matter.
 The straight grip is very comfortable, large, fills the hand, it's different than the Handi, and I like it.
 If I ever plan on hunting with the Target model, a different sight system will have to be installed.
 Worth $125 more for appearance features....? To me not really , ain't nothing wrong with how a Handi looks. But how it feels holding offhand?  Oh Yeah! I'd go for that!
 It might be good for you to look at the different sighting arrangements that can be put on the Buff. to better suit you for hunting.
 If I had to do it over, and make a choice between the Handi and the Buff, I'd be in serious trouble!!! But, if the two rifles were on the counter, in front of me, I'd get the Buff.
                                                                                                         Woodbutcher                                 

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:25:47 AM »
hey pard
i guess it really boils down to what you plan to do with the gun
if you're planning to keep your shots at 100 yards max then the regular handi in 45-70 will do with proper sights or optics
but if you plan to try what i did and shoot it out to 500-700 yards then the buff is the way to go as far as this brand of shooter
i slapped  an el-cheapo tang sight on the wrist of mine and shot right along side my cousins 1500 dollar bpcr out to 700 yards with some elevation left on the staff
as far as bullets go my buff  seems to like the bigger ones. one of the best all around i have found is the lyman bps 500 grainer
pushing it at a very mild 1200 fps is hard to beat out to 500 yards
my buff likes imr-3031, varget, and of course the original propellant (holy black)
you can send it off to nef and have any barrel out there installed
i had one before with a .223 and a .308 barrel to go with it
im currently looking at a 45-70 handi and a bc at a local pawnshop both used and both in excellent shape and the bc is only abt 60 bucks more than the handi
hope some of this helps im sure some of the other pards on here will chime in
good luck with which ever you decide but you wont go wrong with any 45-70
sureshot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:23:28 AM »
Welcome aboard Leonard!! More than likely you'll end up with more than one barrel, that's the norm when folks start in on em, so the question is which to get first, the BC or Handi!! I have two of each, although one of the BC barrels is rechambered to 45-120-3¼" Sharps, it still shoots the same bullets as fast, just with much less pressure involved.

As you'll see in the link below, the 10" of barrel can make a big difference in velocity depending on the powder used, 150 to 200fps more can be achieved with the right powder. ;)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,102319.msg1098277453.html#msg1098277453

I've shot mostly 300gr to 405gr in the Handi 45-70s, but have shot up to 555gr in the 45-120 BC, have never shot any bullet that wasn't accurate, H&R 45-70s are among the top choices in popularity due to their accuracy as well as how much fun they are to just shoot!! Whether you stay in low recoil trapdoor loads, or stoke it up to low Ruger level loads, they shoot excellent, but due to the recoil, most folks stay in the trapdoor loads, specially with the BC due to the butt plate. But even that can be dealt with by adding a lace on or slip on leather recoil pad, or just cutting the butt off square and adding a grind to fit recoil pad.

As was said, the BC accessory barrel doesn't come with sights, so if you go that route, plan accordingly, the front sight uses a 3/8" dovetail, the rear is drilled and tapped for a scope base or several different iron sights can be used, please see the FAQs and Help sticky, you'll find all those options explained there.

Have fun,

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PlacitasSlim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 07:37:52 AM »
I love my BC. I did replace the stock sight with the Williams FP-HR which I have been very happy with. I have currently only developed loads with the 405gr lead bullets, but after I finish with that, I plan to go heavier for more range. I believe you can't go wrong with either the Handi or BC.  ;D

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
 Hey sureshot2040:
 Please, which "el cheapo" tang sight did you use, and how did you slap it on? Pix maybe? Thanks
                                                                          Woodbutcher

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 01:55:15 PM »
I think he had a Browning BPCR sight on it, but there are others that are less expensive, see "Long Range Sights for the BC and Target" in the FAQs, there are several alternatives. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Well now I'm leaning further toward the BC, just have to find one or get one ordered.  Any further comments will be greatly appreciated.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 02:02:46 PM »
Lets see...

I have both, the 22" Handi and the 32" BC.   Both will shoot cloverleaf groups at 50 and 100 yards.  An occasional ragged hole at 200yrds..    and that is with Winchester Super-X (silver box) 300gr JHP's.   Accuracy isn't a problem with either.

I only shoot the Winny 300gr stuff in my 22" Handi, my 32" BC is fed factory stuff and handloads on the anti-dinosaur power level- some of which will jar loose cranial plates, set free fillings in your teeth and make you cry for mommy...  If you are recoil sensitive - you will NOT like the curved butt plate, even with some factory loads.  One thing that I dont like with the BC is, the sights...   They are limited in range.  You will want to change out the front with a short sight in most cases.  I have a .404" high in front and a Smith Enterprises ladder sight in the back - which I've used to take groundhog out to right near 500yrds(I wont say how many I had to walk in, but it was a kill).  Oh, I use my BC for target and varmint only.   ...Big game is taken with the 22" handi.

$125 some odd dollars...   yeah, I think its worth it...   I like the accuracy, weight and feel, and the fact that its made 100% in the USA.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »
 Thanks Quick! Woodbutcher