Author Topic: Reloading for .223 Handi  (Read 637 times)

Offline rugerjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading for .223 Handi
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:51:41 AM »
Good Morning All,
A couple weeks ago, I picked up a .223 handi.  I have always reloaded for bolt guns, and am about the swing by Cabelas and pick up all the supplies.  I am thinking 40 gr. V-max atop of H335.  Anyhow, I usually neck size when I can, but I am wondering if it might be better to full length size in the Handi action for functionality purposes.  I don't really want to deal with stuck cases or actions popping open etc.  Anyhow, any advice would be great, also, if H335 is not a good choice, let me know.  I am still in the tinkering stage with this rifle.  i am using it for groundhogs and coyotes.  I am looking for 1" groups at 100 yds.  I think this is going to be my "carry around" rifle, so tack driving accuracy is not really necessary.  But, if it just wants to shoot that good, then I suppose I can deal with it :D
thanks for your help
joe

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Reloading for .223 Handi
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 06:52:40 AM »
Welcome to GBO, Joe!! ;) I don't load for the 223, have too much Win whitebox to do that yet, but I think you'll find that you'll at least have to partial full length resize depending on how hot you load. Case growth is common for the Handi due to the action type, I resize just enough to make the case flush with the chamber mouth or slightly above it depending on the barrel to frame gap(see barrel fitting in the FAQs), over resizing will result in excess headspace, not enough and the action can't lock up properly and pop opens can happen.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,98978.msg1098256273.html#msg1098256273

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,87689.msg528811.html#msg528811

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,108475.msg1098318567.html#msg1098318567
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PlacitasSlim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 07:22:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Since I reload for my Ultra Varmint and a Mini 14 I always full length size for them. I am getting 1/2 moa from my UV using both Varget and X-Terminator behind a 50gr bullet. ;D

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 07:49:27 AM »
NEF ULTRA - I shoot new factory ammo or reloads using WIN 223 brass in my NEF Ultra no Lake City, Lapua or REM brass. You probably won't have to full length every time - I full length with RCBS X dies the first relaod then neck size with Lee die until I have to trim the brass back (which is about every 4-5 loads ). I have over 12 firings on some of the brass used in the NEF w/out any problems - compared to my NEF Hornet this is very good. You need to keep your chamber clean just as if it was an AR as well as your brass. I typically shoot 40 and 50 grain VMAX bullets at about 3200 fps - so I am not pushing them very hard. Varget and CCI.   

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 08:50:23 AM »
ruger joe...while i don't reload for a 223 handi..lot's of folk's use h335...i haven't...yet anyway...i would urge you to consider "benchmark" or "w-748"...both have shot very well in my bolt 223...imr4895 work's well also...

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 09:18:08 AM »
Joe,

Welcome!  I think you will find a lot of good information here at GBO.  I know that I certainly have.  I load for a .223 Ultra and am getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards using Varget and 50gr. V-Max bullets.  I load Lake City brass and I full length resize.  A little tweaking and you will be amazed at what your Handi will do.  The only one that I can't seem to get dialed in is my 44 magnum which is an older one and suffers from an oversize bore.  I found a few articles about casting some oversize bullets so when I get around to it I think that I will have solved that problem.  Enjoy your little rifle I think you will find them addicting!  ;D

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
Welcome to GBO Joe!I resize my cases like Quick said,just enough to make it flush with the chamber.So far I have 6 firings on some and trimmed once.Only lost a couple with neck splits so far.Many powders work well,I started out with imr 3031 cause I got a bunch of it,and at 24.5 grs with either 50gr vmax or hornady bullets get half inch groups real easy.I think you will like the 223 handi.Good luck to ya and let us know how it shoots.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline rugerjoe

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 11:07:06 AM »
WolfGang,
For your oversized bore in .44, you might look into a company out in St. John, Kansas called Leadheadz.  They cast fairly hard bullets and you can specify the bore diameter to an extent.  I am guessing that if you went with their largest offering you might get that .44 dialed right in.  I have shot a lot of their .430 diameter Keith style bullets in my Super Blackhawk.  I loaded them real heavy with H-110 and never had any problems.
Later,
Joe

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 12:31:30 PM »
Wolfgang, I think we've gone over this before(what hasn't been!! :D), but Beartooth Bullets offers .432" hard cast bullets that work well in the H&R 44mag Handi barrels, but that doesn't help much if you want to cast your own. Their bullets also work well in the .444, 45-70 and .45-120 H&Rs!! ;D

Tim

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/display.php?catagory=4

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,66563.msg404552.html#msg404552
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain