Author Topic: New guy here  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: New guy here
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »
I haven't had much time to work on this cannon due to work and the fact that my Fiance has been in the hospital for the past 12 days. She's back home now and I was able to spend a couple of hours on the cannon.

Keep your priorities straight - the cannon is merely a pleasant diversion from the important things in life.  Our prayers are with y'all.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline m223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 03:43:30 PM »
Amen to that. I hope your Lady gets well soon our prayers are with you. Your cannon project is really getting better each time I see it. Those last pictures were real jaw droppers. Best wishes,  Tracy

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 09:07:09 PM »
I will go with ALL of that., Good luck to your Lady  sir.,  and the last few cannon pics.., yea those are some well thought out and very attractive enhancements ., very nice.

Offline Fluxion

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. I appreciate all the prayers and Meli (my fiance) is getting much better. Its amazing how fast your health can deteriorate while "resting" in the hospital. LOL! I bet she only slept about an hour a night.

I will be out of town for a couple of days but I will be back in the shop on Saturday working on the cannon! I'll be posting more pics then.

Tropico, had I known where your located a few months earlier I could have booked our honeymoon for the Philippines and helped you out! But  , I already have the plane tickets for Australia. I'll be posting cannon pics when I get back. I know where a few are located and will be trying to get some detailed info.

Rickk, I have checked out your carronade thread and I will be stealing a few of your idea's. Your thread and more specificly the smaller Brooks barrel has been a major source of inspiration for my current cannon. Thank you!

DoubleD thanks for all the advice. I don't know what I will be using for a finish yet but I did add a four layer carding wheel to my Brownells wish list. I hope to place an order this weekend so I can finish up a few projects.

seacoastartillery, thanks for all the advice. Your work on you website is amazing! I want to use the black oxide finish but the plater hasn't returned any calls. He either doesn't want to mess with it or thinks I am looking for something free. I'll stop by the shop tomorrow and talk to  him in person.

lance, I'll help Tracy (or anybody else here) with the woodworking anytime. Maybe we can sway his opinion towards wood.

m223, anytime you want to do some shooting you can count me in.  ;) I even have a couple of black rifles that may come close to qualifying as cannon's.   ;D

Thanks for all the help, Bryan.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 12:10:45 PM »
O.K. Fluxion, at some point I think I want to buy a full scale mountain howitzer. would I be imposing if I show up with a pick up full of wood and a mountain howitzer? Maybe this fall some shooting would be in order, it has kind of been oppressive outside lately. Have a safe and wonderful honeymoon.  Tracy

Offline Fluxion

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »
m223, if you want to build a full size mountain howitzer come on over!  I'll help you out. I own a cabinet shop and I have a pretty nice shop full of tools, I am sure we can build a nice carriage. I've been wanting a full size mountain howitzer for a while now I have read the build on this websitehttp://www.buckstix.co[urlm/HowitzerCarriage.htm.  I would love to build one but I can't afford one right now. Maybe this fall I will build a full size cannon. Either way I would love to help out on yours.

Offline lance

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 01:56:56 PM »
Fluxion, you are a good man! don't you and Tracy[m223] get into too much trouble.........
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 02:30:46 PM »
Sounds good Bryan, I can't exactly afford one at the moment either , I have also checked out Mr. buckstix project It turned out pretty nice. I have also been looking at Hern iron works howitzer barrels , they weigh 275 pounds and have a 2-1/4" bore, $670.00 . There is also, among other things a 3" ordnance rifle, 820 pounds, $1400.00. So it may be awhile but some day one of these would be nice. If you ever find yourself short handed you can shoot me a P.M.  Thanks Tracy

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 05:36:32 PM »
I think if you look around here on the forum going way back you will find some discussion on Buckstix's  building techniques.  If I recall correctly there was some real concern about the safety of all the welding he did...Old Timers step in here.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2007, 06:25:17 PM »
I have real problems with some of the content on the Buckstix site, it offends me as both a responsible cannoneer and a sportsman.

I will not patronize the site nor recommend it to others.

Offline Double D

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »
Yes there have been some contentious moment on this board in regards to Buckstix's Hunting ethics.  Since this board is a cannon board in order to keep things peaceful we have made it a policy to rule such comments out of topic and delete them.  Terry
s been around long enough to remember

There have also been some criticism of his conctruction techniques, I believe by George and a couple of others.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2007, 06:30:48 AM »
Unfortunately,  someone who does not know about this forum and does a google search of cannons is bound to find his page. So we shouldn't be surprised when a new member brings him up. I have not been there since I found this place. As far as I could tell his cannon looked well built and safe. I don't condone his hunting techniques , but nonetheless I found his build interesting. If there are some unsafe building practices going on with his build. This would be a good place to discuss it, or post a link to another thread.  Tracy

Offline Double D

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2007, 06:46:03 AM »
If you haven't figured out yet, I'm stalling trying remember what it was that bad about the build and hoping one of the old timers will chime in and say what it was....was it the welds?  something about embrittlement or something.  Welding being beyond my skill level it's hard for me to know for sure.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2007, 08:22:03 AM »
All right, having been called out on this, and having absolutely no recollection of what I said or when I said it, I visited the Buckstix barrel page and looked at his barrel design.  All in all, I think it is pretty good, although I think I would have threaded the breech plug so it could be removed for cleaning between the plug and barrel joint where I expect he will eventually get corrosion due to leftover fouling, since the plug is only a slip fit.  The other point I question is contouring the trunnions to fit the barrel versus making a pocket on the side for the trunnions.  The maximum bending force on the trunnions from recoil is going to be at the front and back which are the thinnest parts if they are contoured.  Using a pocket allows making the rimbases thicker, therefore stronger.  You have to balance the thinner spots in the barrel versus the potential bending of the trunnions.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2007, 09:15:36 AM »
Thanks George, That's kinda what i remember was said and about how I remember it.  I couldn't find the posts on here.

I just looked at the website and it appears there is a bunch more info on it now than there use to be, particularly about the welding. 

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2007, 02:23:07 PM »
Thanks, for your time Ggaskill it is appreciated. At first I thought, hey that is a pretty slick way way to make trunnions, now I'm not so sure. I think your right D.D. it does look like the site has been up dated. 

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »
I know that their site is on the No-No subject list. But, I will say this....

Keep in mind that their original fabricated tube was retired and they purchased a Bronze Steen tube as a replacement. Why? I don't know.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2007, 03:46:54 PM »
Prettier.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »

Offline Double D

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2007, 05:18:36 PM »
The site is not off limits here, the activity he used the cannon for later is...

Offline Fluxion

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2007, 03:32:11 PM »
I have been working on my cannon a little. Last weekend I was able to do a little grinding on the trunnions and got them smoothed out a little. I have a lot of polishing left. Here is what the barrel looks like now.

I was also able to start the carriage. I was going to build it out of Teak but I can't find it.  I had a small pile of off cuts from a job I did last summer but they must have grew legs, that can happen you know. I didn't want to wait on ordering anything so I am now using Jatoba. I just hope it doesn't get too red. Here is a few pics that show where I am at right now.

I am ready to drill holes for the through bolts to hold the cheeks to the rest of the chassis. I also need to drill for these eyebolts.

I will clean these bolts up and weld a square base onto them before polishing. Where do these go?  I have been studying pictures some look like they just drilled holes and bolted them up. I want them to look right but I can't seem wrap my head around it tonight. I know they are for ropes but what is the preferred method of running the ropes? That should dictate where they go right?

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »
Bryan, maybe Tropico could give you some pointers on the rope rings. This is really turning out to be a work of art, I always look forward to seeing your progress on this project, You are a man of many talents.  Tracy

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2007, 04:07:20 PM »
Fluxion,

It looks real good so far. As, for the ring bolts you can use the photos below to get a visual of their locations.

When it comes to the ropes, I'll let Tropico be the knotsman.....

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »
Wow!! way to go...  :o That's nice looking gun & carriage you have there. Looking forward to her final result.. Congrats.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2007, 04:17:52 PM »
That's a really beautiful gun, Fluxion.

Offline lance

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2007, 04:22:50 PM »
looking good Fluxion........looks like you have plenty of woodworking tools also, my kind of guy.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 04:47:51 PM »
Welcome Fluxion
Beautiful work.  Wish I had those skills.  I also look at the older cannon and sometimes just make a similar one using material that I have. copdoc

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »
intoodeep's rings look pretty good to me., If the carriage is not too long I would probably just use one per side probably just slightly forward of the center  of the trunnion ., 3rd block down. The rings with the extra hoop that is . If you felt so inclined to use them all I would use the single ring on the second block just below where the top block ends. ., but then your going to have to watch breech clearance and have an ugly nut in there....., I think 1 would work better ..., your descretion.  Also If you are shooting this cannon from a plywood floor., I would make the ropes long enough to let your cannon recoil the length of your floor (4ft ...., tie the ropes to a stop so after recoil the back wheels are still on the plywood) Also I splice my 3 stranded hemp rope into  itself ., this way I can loop my ropes to a stop...., Lendi (Len from Duck Island) would know better than I where to put the eye.
Perhaps this photo will help some?

This URL might help .,will show you how to splice your rope into a loop.
  http://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/3strand_tuck_splice.htm    

Oh and by the way..., that barrel is impressive ..,the whole thing is really top notch congratulations sir.   

Offline Double D

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »
Gent's the rings should be fastening points for your block and tackle system.   The block and tackle system dampens the recoils as the gun fires.  If you have just a rope restraint like Tropico has, sooner or later from the gun slamming to a stop at the end if the rope , you are going to break something.  Tropico, I seen you video's your gonna break something. 

In the pictures you can see that I have a double block system set up. One end of the block system is attached to the ring just below and behind the trunnion line. 

The tailing end of the rope coming out of the block, in the picture is stretched out behind the gun and attach to the carriage at the back.  This serves as the final stop after the recoil has been reduced enough to not cause damage.  The gun has been fired like this for over 20 years with some pretty heavy charges and nothing has loosened up or broke yet.

When the gun fires the block and tackle,  right from the start is dampening recioil.  The block is not stopping it, just reducing it. Try it yourself.  Rig up a set of blocks double at least and try and pull the blocks apart. You can but just not fast. If you look at pictures of the old ships you will see them rigged this way. 

Right now my rig sitting in storage in some where in Virginia uses a pair of bridge spikes driven in the gound to hold the free end of the block.   I see a set of  those dog chain anchors in my future.  The gun was scheduled for rehab in 2011, but that looks like it might have be moved up to  late 2008 now. At that time I will build a heavy shooting platform of  4x4's and install attaching rings to the deck.

Offline Fluxion

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »
Well it has taken  me awhile to get back on here. I lucked out and found some of the cannon pics I was planning on entering into the calender vote before I went on my honeymoon. I am not quite done with the cannon yet but below are a few pics of what it looked like on our wedding day. During the ceremony after our vows when you would normally have the couple light a unity candle we fired the cannon!

Some of you  might be wondering about the finish. I decided to parkerize all the steel parts. I really love the look of the parked steel and with a coat of CLP it has a nice sheen!

I have a few more pics that I will try and post later this weekend! Thanks for looking!