Author Topic: Ejector Question  (Read 280 times)

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Ejector Question
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:21:54 AM »
I am going to start my stub project in a few days and I need a little info on the ejector. The donor is a 12 gauge barrel with ejector the serial number is NN. This will be in 6mm/223 caliber. After reading Faq's I assume I will use a 223 ejector but which one should I order. I also assume I will have to drill the hole for the lifter to work. The reason for the 6mm/223 caliber is two fold. I already have the ream. And it makes the rifle Deer legal in my state. This is also for my grand children to learn to shoot with also. I have an interarms mark X small action done in this caliber and it shoots very well I use 58 gr hornady for the varmit/ plinking load and 95 gr Nosler for the heavier work. Thanks for the info in advance.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Ejector Question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
Because you will be cutting the ejector slot in the barrel your self either one will do.  I chose the thinner one over the older thick one, so I did not have to cut the slot so deep. Take care drilling the hole for the lifter, you may want to make one with a smaller post that goes through the hole and drill a smaller hole, some of the shotgun barrels don't have much metal left at the point you need to drill.   Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:03:22 PM »
 Thanks trotterlg I have printed your post on barrel stubbing 2 and it will be my bible on this. One other question what size and tpi did you use on the barrel nut.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »
As I recall I used the diameter of the front of the 12 gauge chamber for the major diameter of the threads, cut them 20TPI so I didn't have to cut them too deep.  For a high pressure round I think I would bore the 12 gauge barrel chamber out a little to make the breach end of the barrel a little thicker than the one I used for the 30 carbine project.  Do the work on the stub first, then if you hose it up you can make the barrel match the stub, remember, you don't have to stick to any standard diameter and thread pitch.  The front part of the 12 gauge barrel makes a great barrel nut.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.