Author Topic: right sized cast  (Read 1365 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
right sized cast
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:11:06 PM »
how can you tell if the cast bullets you get are the right size for your rifle?I got some hard cast bullets for my 9.3x57, haven't loaded them yet-waiting for dies,but I tried to see if I could push one  into the muzzle-and could not-they are very tight.Is that what they should be-a tight  fit?

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
Re: right sized cast
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:55:06 AM »
Ever heard of dial calipers?
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 07:12:06 AM »
I've never reloaded before-this is all new to me

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:45:11 AM »
I think that I would use that as a excuse to buy a new gun! I'd try to find one that the bullets fit ;D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:49:16 AM »
Not overly helpful guys. You have a new comer to reloading wanting a valid honest answer and you give him humor. Does that mean you're waiting on someone who actually knows to answer so you too can find out? I really prefer not to be the first to answer folks questions if I can avoid it so as to allow more participation by the members as that's really where the major brain trust of this site is located is in the members. Sure I can give decent insight on most issues but there is a wealth of info contained within the collective membership of this site.

So I'm gonna let this one ride just a wee bit to see if that collective knowledge can shine forth or if I'm gonna hafta try to explain it to him myself which most of the time seems to stiffle added comments which is what the site is all about is lots of folks given real honest opinions on the various ways to do this.

So talk to him about slugging the barrel and other ways of determining what he asked rather than being funny.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:19:11 AM »
how can you tell if the cast bullets you get are the right size for your rifle?I got some hard cast bullets for my 9.3x57, haven't loaded them yet-waiting for dies,but I tried to see if I could push one  into the muzzle-and could not-they are very tight.Is that what they should be-a tight  fit?

I guess I will step up to the plate on this.

Most cast bullets are .001 to .002 over bore diameter. I can see why you would be worried if this is your first time doing this, but it is normal with cast bullets. The best thing to do is get a pure lead fishing sinker, the egg shaped ones, and gently tap it into the barrel about an inch or so with a wooden dowl that is just under the barrel size, (You want it close in size so it doesn't flex or break.) Then drive the sinker back out and measure the diameter of it. That will tell you what you need to know, and if you need more help or have more questions just post away.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 11:11:32 AM »
if you can push them in the barrel there WAY to small.
blue lives matter

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
As Greg recommended, slugging the bore is the only best way to know what size cast bullets to shoot. I like to pancake the slug between dowels in the bore near the muzzle and just ahead of the throat to get an idea of what both ends are. The tutorial link below will show you the basic steps in how to slug the bore.

I would highly recommed picking up a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook since you're new to reloading, it's an invaluable resource. ;)

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

Be sure to use soft lead egg sinkers, don't use the non-lead type.

Size 10
For use in .270, 7mm, and .30 Calibers

Size 9
For use in .338, .348, 38/.357, and 35 Calibers

Size 8 
For use in .41, .44, .45, and .475 Calibers.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »
Since I first posted the question-I tapped a bullet into the muzzle[after liberally spraying WD-40 down the barrel]-it was very tight,then got a rod and tapped it out from the breech side[I didn't try to ram it through-afraid I would get is stuck halfway]Anyway-the bullet had clearly indented grooving on it.The reason I asked is a guy I met on another site ordered a batch of 9.3 cast-and gave me the name of the supplier-so I got some.He is not getting any accuracy at all,presuming the bullets are a bit undersized.I will add-he is an experienced shooter and reloader-While I have hunted for over 40 years-this is my first attempt at reloading,mainly as a result of getting this 9.3x57 Husqvarna[ammunition is not readily ''off the shelf''] -again as a result of corresponding with other guys.I've had the 6.5x55 swedes for many years-taken over 25 deer and a couple of black bear with them, so need no introduction or convincing of their quality or effectiveness-most were one shot kills and nothing went very far-maybe 20 -30 yards a the most,but wanted something a bit heavier for moose-because where I hunt, there's the odd grizzly around,and the 286 gr bullets of the 9.3x57 are double the weight of my 6.5x55.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 12:37:52 PM »
The 9,3 bore should be nominally .366" so bullets sized .367" or .368" should all being as it should be the correct size. What size are they you've not mentioned that. Are they gas checked? If not that alone might account for the accuracy problems. So might the lube being used or the speed at which he is trying to run them. We've just not really got adequate information to help you more just yet.

What did the slug you remove measure? That should tell you the bore diameter but not as well as a soft lead slug as suggested above will tell. Still if you rammed the bullet in and got good clear rifling marks on it then it likely isn't undersized enough to affect accuracy.

If the barrel is heavily fouled with copper then lead bullets don't do so well accuracy wise. If you're pushing them at rifle velocity without a gas check they won't either and you'll need a good lube and enough of it to reach the end of the barrel without running dry. All these things play into what accuracy you get.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 02:23:34 PM »
I got half gas checked and half plain.Unfortunately,I don't have the tools to measure the bullet I tried,but it is well engraved with rifling marks. I realize there may be a difference between my rifle's bore and the chap who told me about the cast-his accuracy was poor in his 9,3x57,even at moderate velocity and he was going to load and  try them in his other rifle  a 9,3x62 ,so I shall learn more when he  gets back from the range.My rifles bore is bright and sharp,rated ''excellent'' by the gunsmith.But-the real test will be when I actually get my dies and load and shoot a batch for myself.I'm realizing there is a lot to learn here....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 02:53:02 PM »
You really need a caliper, it's good for several tasks in handloading, you can get one for $15 and up that will work for what you need to do with it.  ;) If you have a Harbor Freight near by, they have several that will work for ya.

Tim

Calipers
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 03:11:27 PM »
To slug my bores with pure [soft] lead, I find a muzzleloading round ball that is a little over sized to the bore I want to check. For instance, for a 45-70 bbl, I use a .495 lead round ball. For your 9.3mm a .40 or so round ball will do nicely.    Place the ball on the muzzle,  being round it will center properly.  Then I lightly pound on it until it is about 1/2 way in and then place a wooden dowel on it to get it to enter the bore without hitting the muzzle with the hammer [VERY important!].  If the ball was properly oversized, a lead ring will be left behind that would not fit in the bore. Remove that ring and toss it away.  Now you can easily push the slug all the way down to the breach or push it back out the muzzle.

But, you will still need a caliper......the widest portion of the slug will represent the diameter in your barrel from groove to groove, the diameter of the slug's grooves are the diameter of your bore [lands].

Veral Smith's book, "JACKETED PERFORMANCE WITH CAST BULLETS" plus the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook  are an unbeatable combination. Reading them and trying out your new discoveries from will keep you busy for a long time!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
Thanks-and the information is appreciated.I have learned a great deal already, made a few friends,found out about a caliber I knew nothing of[9,3x57] bought a nice Husqvarna  rifle from Anthony at Tradex, installed internal crossbolts from a posted pictoral ,ground the bolt to accommodate a scope, got some reloading gear,finding out how to do it, located a couple of dealers,learned I can resize existing 8x57 brass which is common to fit my 9,3x57 for which brass is harder to find,and am now venturing into cast bullets-all of which was learned by accessing firearms websites.Previously my only experiance in cast was  with my 50 caliber TC  hawkin,this is broadening my horizons a bit

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 06:22:40 PM »
  like the guys said slug the bore.  and get the lyman cast bullet reloading manul.  it explain  about all you will need to know.  they evan have th and what sizer to gete bullet size for your cailber and what sizer to geti do alot of casting  dont know it all by along shot but might be able to help some

never to much gun

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 06:28:24 PM »
sorry about that post got it messed up i ment to say that the lyman book will give u the propre size  for your caliber  . then the have the sizer die to match
never to much gun

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 05:54:02 PM »
I cast and reload myself but don't consider myself anything close to an expert.  I pick up a lot of good info from guys hereabouts and try to read when knowledgeable people write.  To that end, let me direct you to the latest issue of Guns Magazine and an article by Mike "Duke" Venturino.  Mike discusses some of the fine points of both handgun and rifle casting and reloading. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Nrut

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 02:38:43 PM »
ratherbefishing...where are you getting your cast boolits?....I know of two fellas that are in the same boat as you are with 9.3's looking for cast boolits here in Canada......I have supplied them with a few bootils to get them started but I just cast for a hobby and won't have time to cast boolits for them now that I have started logging again.... :(
As far as your question on boolit fit goes the easiest way I have found is to take a fired "unsized" case in one hand and a boolit in the other and see if the boolit will fit into the case neck... the tighter the better ....if there is a lot of play then most likely you'll your boolit won't shoot worth a hoot because it will be to small for your throat and you will have poor aliment with the bore....the name of the game is boolit bore alignment with the boolit larger than your "groove" dia. and in most cases if the boolit fits the throat it'll be larger than the groove dia. The two exceptions that I have run across are the H&R Target in 38-55  >:( and the Marlin CB in 38-55 >:(
Also load your boolit out so it engraves the lands...doing that also helps with alignment...
cheers

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 07:16:58 AM »
Ever heard of dial calipers?

My post was to see if we could get more info from the gent.  His next post did just that.  I consider myself to be as helpful as anyone on the Internet.  My apologies for not checking back on this thread earlier.

That being said the above posts have given great information.  I always slug my rifles as I prefer to shoot cast boolits and need to see where the constrictions are, if any.

ratherbefishing,

Feel free to e-mail me and I will be more than happy to help all I can and to point you in the right direction.  Welcome to the madness.

Dave 8) :-[
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/