Author Topic: disappointed in myself  (Read 1719 times)

Offline gomerdog

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
disappointed in myself
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:28:01 PM »
I got back from the range this afternoon and decided to sort through all my old targets that I had just put in one folder over the past three years. (Like a knucklehead, I haven't kept any targets that I have shot before that.) So I decided that each firearm gets a separate folder, with targets sorted by date. After I had all the targets in piles, but before I put them in folders, I picked up the 30/30 Winchester Handi pile and l began looking at about the dozen or so targets I have kept over the past three years, and I became more than just a little surprised and disappointed at myself. I have this rifle that is surprisingly accurate and have yet to hunt with it. Having struck out on the antelope draw this year, I will buy a deer license this year for the first time in about five years and use this rifle during that season......I promise.
"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: disappointed in myself
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 01:32:46 PM »
That is the problem with a full gun safe . Ive got a couple that havnt seen the woods or range in a couple years. I get hooked on a gun (45/70) & forget the rest. As far as problems go thats not a bad one to have.    Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 01:55:43 PM »
Same here.  Every now and a again I have to look deep into the safe to refresh myself on whats back there. 

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »
Sounds like you just have to hit the range more with it. Give it a little time and you will be shooting tighter groups than you did then.         Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:14:31 AM »

Don't be too disappointed in yourself...just go make up for lost time shooting it...Lot of folks have a-lot of guns...but..not alot of time to shoot all of them...Heck...just ask Quickdtoo :D :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 06:04:28 AM »
Ya think that's bad, wait til ya have to pick ONE to hunt with!!! ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 07:27:55 AM »

Tim

Hey guys, I just realized that I have just been given an opportunity to change a framework I had about an expensive medical issue that came up for me last fall. I wound up selling a bunch of stuff, including guns, to cover some of the costs. More than just being po'd about the medical issue, I was not definitely not happy about selling off some of my toys! :(

However, while following this thread, I "got" that I can actually adopt a different context about how many rifles are left in my safe, and that even though I parted with some and have only 3 centerfire choices for hunting this year, I have freed myself from making a more complex decision.  ;D And truth be told, I sometimes get really backed up when presented with many choices (about many things, not just hunting rifles)!!!

Since my 12 yr old son has already expressed which is his favorite (45LC) I am left with a 30/30 Topper and a 357 Max! I'm inclined to use the Topper (since it weighs in a 6.5 lbs with scope and the Max is already 7 lb with open sights) as this year's hunting rifle, and the Max as back up. Always good to have a back up.  ;)

And that is not to say that I won't, in the future, restock and add choices to my safe and risk decision paralysis again, just that this year, the decision is pretty straightforward.

Thanks y'all  ;D ;D ;D

DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Smoke Wagon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 07:49:46 AM »
The which gun question is always a tough one to make. I find myself always going with the ol' reliable. Savage .243 bolt action, all you need in Florida, but given a new choice, myself, Hogleg and another guy have all decided to go with the single shots at least a weekend this season. Should be really fun. My .500 S&W, and the other two (02) with 12ga. USH.
" Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called the Children of God" Mathew 5:9

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 08:30:01 AM »

Tim

Hey guys, I just realized that I have just been given an opportunity to change a framework I had about an expensive medical issue that came up for me last fall. I wound up selling a bunch of stuff, including guns, to cover some of the costs. More than just being po'd about the medical issue, I was not definitely not happy about selling off some of my toys! :(

However, while following this thread, I "got" that I can actually adopt a different context about how many rifles are left in my safe, and that even though I parted with some and have only 3 centerfire choices for hunting this year, I have freed myself from making a more complex decision.  ;D And truth be told, I sometimes get really backed up when presented with many choices (about many things, not just hunting rifles)!!!

Since my 12 yr old son has already expressed which is his favorite (45LC) I am left with a 30/30 Topper and a 357 Max! I'm inclined to use the Topper (since it weighs in a 6.5 lbs with scope and the Max is already 7 lb with open sights) as this year's hunting rifle, and the Max as back up. Always good to have a back up.  ;)

And that is not to say that I won't, in the future, restock and add choices to my safe and risk decision paralysis again, just that this year, the decision is pretty straightforward.

Thanks y'all  ;D ;D ;D

It's a good thing you got the "choice" again... ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 09:47:12 AM »

It's a good thing you got the "choice" again... ;)

Mac

Yeah... and that I get to hunt is even a choice... last year there wasn't much choice about that!
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 03:27:21 PM »
Tallly ho I am glad that you are with us and have a choice may many more come your way.....

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 03:38:28 PM »
Thanks Daniel.
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline gomerdog

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
Well, I followed through on my commitment to hunt with the 30/30 Handi this year. Last evening I killed a doe mule deer. I had a fun hunt...got in a nice walk and killed her about a mile and a half from my truck. Was able to drive to about 300 yards of where she lay and them backpacked her the rest of the way. She's gonna taste real good.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 06:58:09 PM »
Congrats!! ;)

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 08:28:28 PM »
I had a wake up call a couple weeks ago that might concern you guys with all those guns setting back.

I've been down with back problems since Sept '05 and just got the .243 out a month ago. Had a rusty hand print on the barrel.  Then yesterday a friendly neighbor brought half a dozen of his guns over that had been in storage where it was damp.  Flash rust all over them.

I just handed him some 4/0 and a tube of Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner.  It all came off pretty easy.
You might think about pulling them all out to inspect and reoil those that haven't been out of the safe in awhile.

Seeing Bruce's guns in such a condition was shocking. Then to find my own with a handprint bit me hard.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »
Use a good protectant gun oil and it's not a concern, I have all my rifles in the basement, humidity is 55%-60% year round and I NEVER have a rust issue on any of em, my TC flintlock muzzleloader hasn't been shot or cleaned for 9yrs, it's still got a bright bore, not a hint of rust. Get some Eezox or Breakfree CLP if you can't find it, and you'll never worry about rust again, I guarantee it! ;)

Tim

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »
This was my first rust on guns ever.
Just got a fresh $26 can of Gibb's oil that should solve the problem.
Have been working on them since it was discovered.

I also have a swamp cooler in the other end of the same room.
My guns were untouched for no less than three yrs, maybe four. They were oiled up good when put away.  Only sign of rust was the hand print on the barrel.

Have no clue what Bruce did, but, he's doing the cleaning up, not me. Might get his attention this way, right?

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 03:53:56 AM »
I have had the same thing happen here I now use a heathy dose of Breakfree on all . Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 05:54:08 AM »
I dont know if i am alittle late or not but CONGRATULATIONS!
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline gomerdog

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 06:39:47 PM »
quick and christopher,

Thanks. I finished cutting her up tonight, so my daughters and I will be enjoying deer meat for a while. The wife doesn't eat red meat, but she will cook it.

I still have a general deer license, so either Friday afternoon and/or Saturday I will be out looking for a buck. A fellow teacher at my wife's school and her husband own a ranch not too far from town on which they allow walk-in hunters. That eliminates most hunters, as they think that they are not hunting unless they're straddling a four-wheeler. I'll be using the same rifle.