Author Topic: Lead for swaging  (Read 743 times)

Offline IHMSA_Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Lead for swaging
« on: June 01, 2003, 02:20:01 PM »
Hello listers

I was looking for some information on swaging lead. I know that pure lead is very good, but can you use wheel weight for swaging like .357  thanks for all your input. :D

One Shot One Kill

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Lead for swaging
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 02:33:37 PM »
The increase in pressure needed to swage lead alloy is a multiplier about the square of the increase in the BN hardness. Pure lead is BN 5. To swage a 357 core  it takes 'X' force, well within the capability of even a good reloading press like the Rock Chucker. Wheelweights have a BN of about 8. So 3x3=9 times the force needed. This would most likely break a Corbin 'M' or even 'S' series core swage die and it would take a noticable effort to crunch down on the press handle at that.. However, with his big Hydro-press, using 1.5" thick hardened 'H' dies, you could do it easily. It is for this reason Corbin Co only warrents it's smaller dies for BN 5 lead. 8)

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Lead for swaging
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 10:39:25 PM »
To most questions on swaging bullets the answer is usually YES. But unless you really want to, sometimes its better to go with casting and spend the money you save on something else.

If all you want to do is simple swaging of .357 lead bullets for a handgun, go to casting it’s cheaper, easier, and just as good for making hard lead bullets. Swaging shows it’s true colors when making jacketed bullets with all its variations of design and materials. Not trying to talk you out of swaging but swaging is not the answer to all-shooting needs either.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline bfoster

• http://www.cardingtonmachine.com
Lead for swaging
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 04:44:48 AM »
Here's an excerpt from Ned Roberts' "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle." in which Norman Brockway, one of the greatest makers of 19th century target rigles is quoted as fillows.

" A man in Philadelphia wanted me to make him a thousand bullets from much harder lead-about 1 to 20 or 25, I guess- so I got the lead rod from the National Lead Company, cut it up into pieces the right weight and started to swage them up in my hydraulic press. About the first bullet I swaged, I put on so much pressure that it burst the 6 inch thick cast steel swage plate of this machine... I didn't try making any more bullets from such hard lead as that"

Bob