Author Topic: Does anyone have one of the Lee PRO 1000 presses?  (Read 562 times)

Offline goodwrench6710

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Does anyone have one of the Lee PRO 1000 presses?
« on: July 22, 2007, 07:30:38 AM »
Was wonder if anyone here has one of the Lee PRO 1000 presses & what do they think of them? They are pretty cheap in price. But then I have always figured you get what you pay for. Is this the case here?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Does anyone have one of the Lee PRO 1000 presses?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:40:35 AM »
dad allways told if you have nothing good to say say nothing ;D
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »
I have one stored away in the closet of my gun room. Nothing wrong with it, loads good ammo fast, with minimal problems. The only real complaint I have with it, is it's only a three station press. I have some tight chambered pistols that will not chamber some of the ammo loaded in mixed brass unless it has been run thru the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I was having to run the ammo thru the LFCD on a single stage as a finishing operation. I now use a five stage progressive for my high volume stuff and use a Lee turret press for my low volume stuff. Apparently a lot of people have problems with the Lee presses. That has not been my experience.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Hook686

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 04:10:40 PM »
I loaded .357 magnum with one and got about 200 rounds per hour average from it ... no complaints. However, as someone noted, it is a three die press. I got a Lee Factory Crimp die and for a while was hand crimping with the Lee Hand Press after loading the .357 magnums. This got old fast and I bought a Lee Classic Turret, 4 die press. This solved the .357 magnum and .44 magnum loading question for me ... this press works great.

I then decided to load .3o carbine with the Pro1000. So far I have not loaded any. I use WW296 and found that when the Pro1000 does not seat a primer, that powder winds up everywehere, but in the case. The biggest gripe I have with the Pro1000 is that when, and it will, something goes wrong, it takes a bunch of time and steps to ameliorate the problem. This involves undoing the powder feed lever chain, removing the turret, undoing the ram, removing the shell carrier/shell slide, Z bar and then resetting up, after cleaning, and re-setting indexing.

If nothing else, a glitch in the operation takes time, a bunch, to correct, where the Pro100 is concerned. I have not found this to be the case with the Classic Turret. I'll keep fooling with the Pro1000, for when it is on, it works just fine and puts out the ammunition, for me.
Hook686

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »
Hook,
A couple of tips on the Pro 1000. Keep it clean, when not in use keep a cover on it. About every 500 rds, clean the priming chute and punch. Don't let the primers get low in the chute. Operate it in a consistent manner all the way to the stop, top and bottom. These simple things eliminate 95% of the problems with the press.
Savage

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 02:43:48 AM »
I guess on that note, I'll stay away from it. I'm kinda partial to RCBS anyway. Just saw the reasonable price & was kicking it around. I guess you get what you pay for (most of the time). I can say the Frankford Arsonal digital calipers are a bargain & when I checked them against my expensive dial calipers for engine work, they are right on!
One person that has been loading along time told me to weigh the power charges for every shell, that way you know what you have! I guess that's part of why I started handloading is the trust factor, you just never know what your shooting with factory loads.
On that note, why put my life in the hands of a cheap progressive press! I'll just load them one step at a time.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 06:30:53 AM »
goodwrench6710,
If you're weighing all your charges, you don't load in sufficient quantities to require a progressive press. Even tho I don't think one would put your life in danger. I have three progressives, one turret, and a single stage. I own and have owned Lee, Lyman, Dillon, and RCBS. They all get the job done. I reload for the economy of it. I'd shoot factory ammo exclusively if I could afford it! Well,---------I might load a little just for fun!!!
Savage

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »
Possibly the near perfect press for all around use, for common folks that don't require a 1000 rounds a week, is one of the Lee turrets, not progessives.  They are handy, versatile and strong, whether aluminum or cast iron.  Don't want it to auto index, just lift the turret and lift out the rotator rod.  Need more speed, put it back.  The aluminum frame will size magnums with ease, the cast iron will size .50 BMG.  Leave your dies mounted in the turrets and they're always adjusted.  Change calibers in seconds, not minutes.  Extra turrets are under $10.  Check the turret prices on brands X, Y and Z.  I have 2 progressives, 4 single stage and 3 turrets (Lyman, P-W, Lee) and my old 3-hole Lee is by far my most used press.  Currently have turrets in 13 calibers.  Es mi dos centavos.  BOL       

Offline caverun

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 03:39:48 PM »
I have used a Lee 1000 for several years. Have read and heard lots of complaints about the press but the only problems I have had (which number only a few) were caused by me. I load 9mm; 38/357; 40 S&W, and .45 ACP. As stated in previous posts, the major drawback is the three die capacity. I use a taper crimp on my semi-auto cases which means an extra step on another press. Don't really mind the inconvenience. I think the press is still a good buy.

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 03:30:17 PM »
I have a leepro 1000, that i use to load for my 44mag. I really have no complaints either other than I hand prime my brass before I run it through. The primeing feature really didnt work to Hot!