Author Topic: What is your HOME defense weapon?  (Read 36973 times)

Offline single action

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: What is your HOME defense weapon?
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »
311 stevens 12ga with 18" barrels next to bed. wife smith .38, me .357 sp101. 2 very loud jack russell/ rat terrier alarm dogs.

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
Mossberg 500 with #4 Buck stays in the corner of my bedroom.  My nightstand holds a Colt 1991 A1 .45 ACP and a streamlight scorpion.  The other end of the house has a Kimber Custom .45 ACP in an easy to access spot in my living room.

By the same token, I also keep another very important (fire) defensive weapon close at hand.  I'm talking about a fire extinguisher.  One rides in the corner of my bedroom right next to the Mossberg.  I also have three other fire extinguishers spread through my home.  An intruder would be terrible...a fire more likely.

And yes....I've been a firefighter for 20 years  ;D

Offline gila_dog

« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2008, 01:03:10 AM »
Colt Commander .45 ACP loaded with Cor Bon DPX, Rem 870 12 ga. loaded with 00 Buck, Ruger 10-22, scoped and loaded with Federal hollow points.

Which to grab depends on the threat. The inside the house antipersonnel weapon is the .45. Outside antipersonnel or big predator it's the shotgun. Chicken-killing dog, coyote, racoon, etc. it's the .22 rifle. They are all loaded. No kids around the house tho. That's another major consideration!

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2008, 04:46:21 AM »
Here's a thought....  How many of you keep a good flashlight with your home defense gun?  And for those of us who wear glasses, are your glasses within arm's reach while sleeping?

Offline Poohgyrr

« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2008, 08:59:44 AM »
   the home owner having multiple loaded firearms readily accessible.  And what if the homeowner had made boastful statements   Would your investigation consider  Also, what if the dead intruder turned out to be unarmed?   Even in the most justified of circumstances, what legal/financial/civil repercussion's could a citizen expect?

Mas Ayoob's book "In the Gravest Extreme" covers much of this kind of stuff and is highly recommended to everyone who has a firearm for self defense.

"Boastful statements" are not smart.

Under the worst circumstances, no matter how justified, bad guys go free and good guys go to prison.

And yes, some places are more protective of good citizens, while other places seem to favor crooks.

Study Ayoob's book, and know how real life works in your town & county.

EDITED: I just read RR's post and he said it better than I would have.
John

Blue Skies, green hills, clean trout streams, and home made ice cream

"Life brings us joys and sorrow alike, it is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true measure of his mettle."  T. Roosevelt

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »
Here's a thought....  How many of you keep a good flashlight with your home defense gun?  And for those of us who wear glasses, are your glasses within arm's reach while sleeping?
i do.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2008, 02:58:04 PM »
A 3 C cell mag. lite
a light box and a scorpion .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2008, 08:09:53 PM »
I have answered this post in the past but upon further thought and contemplation I must modify my answer. My home defense weapon is whatever weapon I can get my hands upon at the moment of need. If the only thing I can get in hand is a 22 revolver, that is 100% better than nothing. If well handled, I believe any firearm can be effectivley employed for personal defence.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »
I have answered this post in the past but upon further thought and contemplation I must modify my answer. My home defense weapon is whatever weapon I can get my hands upon at the moment of need. If the only thing I can get in hand is a 22 revolver, that is 100% better than nothing. If well handled, I believe any firearm can be effectivley employed for personal defence.

blackpowderbill,

You had my answer before I ever clicked to open the thread. So I give your post a +1.

Navylawdog

Offline FourBee

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »

:D IMshooter:      Seems like - -  no matter how well organized I have everything set up.    When I'm startled out of a sound sleep, I can't find my glasses, or my flashlight and fumbling around in the dark like an idiot.  Let alone have the foggiest intention of grabbing my home defense weapon.

On the other hand, wakening at the sound of a noise, and being able to lay there and think for a moment or two, I can readily access all the necessary items like a pro.

FourBee
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2008, 10:15:57 AM »
figure on 45 seconds , FBI figures - intruder breaking in front door to master bed room . this is an average .

In a SHTF situation you better HYST ! OR YOU MIGHT BE DEAD !
Keep in mind you won't have someone whispering wakey wakey in your ear ! maybe CRASH BANG ! be advised its better to be your BAND than THEIRS !

Offline BUSHMASTER1

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »
My side of bed, Kimber ultracarry, extra mag.12 guage  870 with 6 rds. 00 buck, AR15 with surefire light and laser,30 rounds. Wife's side Kimbe rultra carry and 20 guage 870 #3 buck. Unless we'd expect real trouble. ::)

Offline BUSHMASTER1

« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »
Oh yea and 2 attack trained Chimera Swinford Bandogs and 2 more in training.

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »
Criminals are cowards. Never had the courage or conviction to be a real success in life, But steal from others. and worse. most of the time, the mere sight or hint of a armed homeowner will send them off "Like a frightened jack rabbit." Just do a little research on The Dartmouth murders and see. A father and son at their remote camp, Two thrill killers had shallow graves all prepared for the two. They lost their nerve and fled int the night when one of them peered through the window and saw the father coming to the door with a gun on his hip. They went into the city where they found a different breed, "The "give peace a chance", "impeach Bush Now", "Guns Kill "crowd.... They slaughtered the couple and when caught told of the plans for the Father and son.  Evil exists, and so do good brave men to "Send them to Hell." Oh yeah, Dan Wesson is my constant companion.. He is a good friend.

Offline animal

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2008, 06:23:43 PM »
Thompson semi sub machine gun with a 30 round sks as back up.
Animal

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2008, 06:03:32 PM »
In every room of the house and garage, an edged weapon, mostly long knife/short sword type. By the bed a .380 Llama, inside the closet over the door, a Mossberg 500 20ga with 00 buck and a barrel-mounted flashlight. The wife has a .38 snubbie in a quick-access safe, and a small dog with a big voice.

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2008, 07:02:25 PM »
Mossberg 12 gauge (00 buck) Colt python .357 mag. and three dogs (Mom's miniature dachshund thinking he is the biggest...lol)

Evan
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2008, 10:16:56 AM »
My secret. I disclose capabilities to my girfriend, dad, and boss, because they will never invade my home. Anyone else is a gamble.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2008, 09:09:25 AM »
Para-Ordnance P14-45. Alternating 165gr Federal EFMJ and 185gr Winchester Silvertips. 4 D cell MagLite.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • Contributor
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »
MY WIFE,  she is so damn vicious the bullet would be wasted if I could get to them in time to fire a round

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2008, 10:19:24 AM »
first line........very visible motion sensitive floodlights...........three big dogs that are also motion and sound sensitive........if the BG gets past that he will face Mossberg 12/#1 Buck, S&W1917 45 acp , USN 1917 cutlass......very sharp.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »
I don't keep a loaded gun in the house but my go to gun is  a 94 win in 30-30 with the ammo attached to the stock....It will handle 2 legged and 4 legged threats....I have never had a reason to use it against a person but i have used it against coyotes and bob cats.....

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »
44, interesting ,  #1 buck, which load?
SharonAnne

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
SA - I use the Winchester 3"  24 pellets #1 buck..advertised at a little over 1000fps.     In my particular model 500 it only opens up about 6 inches at 10 yds.    I can usually keep 20  pellets on a full silhouette out to 30 yds.  I never had to use it on two legged predators (and I pray I never have to) but I know where it will shoot.  I take it out about once a week for practice and this load doesn't beat up my shoulder like some of the faster loads. (it feels more like my .54 hawkin)

My shotgun has never liked any 00 buck load I have tried with it.   they just open up all over the place.   I can get pretty good groups with 3" #4Buck but I was reading several articles on shotguns for home defense and the merits of #1buck were explained.   One of the links is:    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

I got some #1 and tried it and it worked well in my shotgun so i stuck with it. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2008, 06:35:55 AM »
way back when, we bought buckshot by the case (250rds). We tried every load made. In all of our shotguns the Winchester #1 buck short magnum held the best patterns. we did not try 3" since all of our guns were 2 3/4". The Winchester #1B is 20 - .30 caliber pellets. I forget the velocity.  In my 870 it would keep all 20 pellets in the C-zone of an IPSC target at 25 yds.

You are the only other person I have heard of using #1B.
SharonAnne

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »
I went to that link. Very interesting. Although they select standard #1B loads I still prefer the short magnum. They did agree with my tests that the #1B short magnum held the tightest patterns. Only thing is, they did it 10 years after (a great band) my group did our testing.
SharonAnne

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2008, 08:06:34 AM »
Ten Years After. ;D

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2008, 08:34:10 AM »
SA that is very interesting , We are restricted to buck shot here in several counties for deer hunting which has caused a cottage industry to start up making buck shot guns .. I have a good friend that makes and installs choke tubes for deer hunting . With some gun/load/shell combo's he can get very tight patterns VERY TIGHT . The 23/4 shell is faster in most cases and some pattern well but he makes the tube for the  bbl. it is going to be used in and can make most preform . What he tells me is # 1 buck is the hardest to get a tight pattern with . He pattern test every set up and records all information ( forget it he won't share ) so he has years of experience . And no I'm not saying you are off base , just a different result . I know of one gun he got #1's to shoot well my fathers 1100 mag. . He also gets these patterns with 23-24 inch bbls .
To be honest his guns often shoot to tight as a pattern of ooo buck that a ball cap will cover at 30-35 yards can cause a miss on a running deer in tight cover .

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
I will stay on subject but only after I momentarily stray to also give kudos to Alvin Lee and 10 Yrs After...........You are catalyzing some great reminiscing upon my being.....

SA - or anyone else- do you know of a reliable source for reasonalby priced #1 Buck?   Over half of our local Wallyworlds have stopped selling firearms or ammo.   I can only occasionally find it here.   

Also what velocity were the #1 short magnums delivering?   How did the standard #1 hold up in your tests?    All I have is a case of 3" shells and I am fine for now but later this year I will be shopping for more......

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2008, 09:50:28 AM »
Shootall, we were using standard 20" barrels with IC choke. Back in the mid/late '80s we didn't have anything fancy. We were just trying to find what worked best with what we had. Mostly we had iron sighted 'deer' barrels or 'riot' guns. Pretty much the same barrels though.

I think we bought our buck from MidSouth Shooter Supply. As I said we bought it by the case. I do not know the velocity since we did not have a chronograph back then. #1 buck regular 2 3/4" patterned just as well. But 16 pellets on target is not 20 pellets on target. Each kept them all on at 25 yd. Just the short mag had more pellets. 20 #1 buck pellets is 800 gr of lead!
SharonAnne