Author Topic: What is your HOME defense weapon?  (Read 36970 times)

Offline .308 Win.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: What is your HOME defense weapon?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »
CZ 40 and a Remington 870 with 18" barrel loaded up with 00 buck on my side and on my wife's side is a Taurus .38 Special. 

Offline goodwrench6710

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 05:09:53 AM »
My dogs, my guns are unloaded and locked up in a safe.
I was just wondering if the dogs shot live ammo or blanks???  ;D ::)
I hope the safe isn't airtight.

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »
I have a little neck knife for times when nothing else may be worn at the time.. very near the bed is a Kimber 45 that wears a light on a bottom rail . there is another bedside drawer with two 45 Long colts and a bearcat and a ruger mark I 22 auto all loaded next to the bed also.. but I go to the lighted kimber when there is a percieved or possible threat.. I have a ruger 40 cal in the truck and a small bore shotgun there too in addition to a few knives. Almost forgot, time permitting there is a cased ar 10 ready at the foot of the bed.. but that is just time permitting... the Kimber is instantly available and lighted and fast...I would leave the Kimber or the 22 with the wife if it were going down.. and grab a single action or two untill I could get out the rifle...
all that aside you got to be able to get it into action fast... really fast.. I lock the bedroom door and have several dogs in the hall.
I would never under estimate the effectiveness of a good knife in the had of someone who can use it if it comes down to that... it is faster by a little bit in the really close quarters problems that one can encounter.. but I like a handgun better.. a shotgun better than that .. and a rifle the best if the situation permits.

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 06:54:42 AM »
I am never out of reach of a defense weapon, I have a couple on my person at any given time.
I keep a modified Win model 1200 loaded with #1 Buck, and a .45 cal High Point mounted within reach of the bed.  I also have few more of those High Points stashed around the house.

To me, just as important as the firearms, are knives, stun guns, and pepper sprays.  They all have their place in different situations.

Offline wJAKE19

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 09:30:36 AM »
XD 40
and NEF 12ga w/#4 turkey loads> thats gotta hurt.
~Jake

Offline NWdude83

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »
Kahr E9 9mm (shown with a 10rd clip)

Thats right!

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 03:05:46 AM »
Here's a pic of my bedroom setup.  The guns sit on dowel pegs mounted so the top of the guns are just below the top of the mattress when it is pushed back up against the headboard.  This keeps the guns handy. but completely out of sight.  The yellow rope handle just makes it a little easier to grab the shotgun while lying down.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 07:12:31 AM »
whats that mirror for , it could give you away when  reaching for your gun !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline urbaneruralite

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007, 09:44:26 AM »
My wife. She's mean! If they're not afraid of her, they oughta be. I know I am.

I thought about mounting a shotgun by the headboard, but it seems kinda dangerous to me. Pretty sure it would get knocked down. So I just put it under the bed. Durn if a leg of the bed frame didn't break off and the bed almost fell on it!

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 10:05:04 AM »
whats that mirror for
Hey, just leave my sex life out of this!
I just don't see an issue with the mirror.  The gun would likely be at ready by the time any lights go on.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2007, 11:49:54 PM »
What is a sex life???
I am really fond of a shotgun as a primary source of home defense---but, there are several handy pistols around.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 02:19:28 AM »
T-rex , whoa boy ! didn't mean it that way , if you are serious about home defense , be careful about mirror placement !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 03:26:54 AM »
I understand your point about mirror placement.  It is a good piece of advice

I had not considered it initially.  When I evaluate it now; it is not really an issue due to the bed location in relationship to the door, and the unlikely-hood of light when the weapons may be needed.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 08:09:26 AM »
i have a large knife by my bed, a 45" sword, other blades, blowgun, baseball bat, and more weapons(can't remeber were i put them). I do have guns but i don't really have cash for good ammo so it's whatever i have on hand.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 05:01:27 PM »
Once upon a time I had the misfortune of living in a high crime area.  The primary home defense gun was a .45 auto on the backside of the bed's headboard.  Then there was a 9mm in a holster on a hanger in the bedroom closet.  Next was 9mm in the linen closet under a towel.  But the last chance gun was a little .32 auto in the refrigerator!

Offline sert01

• NRA Life Member Past Rescue 40 SRRT member
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »
american derringet .45/.410 with two buckshot rounds in my nightstand, Keltec PF-9 on shelf in closet five feet away, and a 20 gauge singleshot with #6 shot 3inch nitro mag leaning against inside closet door. Sert01

Offline sert01

• NRA Life Member Past Rescue 40 SRRT member
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2007, 02:34:29 PM »
Oh yeah, a 150 lb. Bullmastiff at the front door!!! can you say NICE DOGGY???!!!

Offline randyb

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2007, 09:30:31 AM »
870 police model with #1 buck
AR-15 if needed

Kimber 1911.

I sleep pretty well.
A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tomzuki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
Mossberg 590 Mil Spec with bayonet, loaded with OO Buck and a few slugs.  Never had a chance to use it though............
Tomzuki

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2007, 06:51:05 PM »
I live in a rural setting.....since our local bonehead Sheriff cancelled law enforcement services from 10:00 PM to 10:00 AM  :0  then advertised that fact (force people into voting for his new levy), the criminal element is prowlin' and growlin'. I have intimidating signs posted. Soon I'll install an electric driveway gate at the end of my long driveway, I already have meth heads driving right up to my house and checking to see who is home.

Since there won't be any response from anyone at night (Deputies called out only if life threatening emergency, and none of them live close), we are on our own.  Romanian SAR 1 AK variant, 30 round mags loaded with hollowpoints. 2 Glock .40s strategically located, cell phones, and fellow neighbors on the same page. Someone is always home.

RR

Offline NWdude83

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2007, 11:09:35 PM »
This will be my (new) primary home defense weapon in a few weeks.
Thats right!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 05:55:28 AM »
I have .38 +P 125gr or 158gr lead HPs and Magsafe "entry loads" in my revolvers. We have an alarm system which is armed every night and when we're gone.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2007, 08:36:12 PM »
I have a Smith 4566 in one of those cheap nylon holsters with the spare mag carrier built in plus another double mag pouch on a nylon pistol belt hanging by my bed.  This gives me a total of 32 rounds of Speer Gold Dot to call on.  Standing in the corner, I have a 8 shot Mossberg 500 with seven rounds of reduced recoil 00 buckshot and a sidesaddle with five more mounted. I leave it uncocked so all I need do is pick it up, load the chamber and go to work.  If things ever get really bad, I have a Metric FAL in .308, in my closet, one mag inserted, six more in a chest pouch.  There ain't anything in my yard a 308 FMJ won't shoot through.  Since I live alone and my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, I can pretty well use what I like.  I figure all the trees between my house and theirs will keep a 308 round from hitting anything on his property, anything else is fair game!

Offline Rscout6945

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2007, 09:52:43 PM »
An Springfield XD45acp with rail light, night sights, and Federal Hydra-shoks in a gun-vault next to the bed.  A 870 in the closet on 30 second standby.  And a big samurai sword hanging above the bed.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that in good.-George Washington  Semper Fi!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 12:24:05 PM »
I used to keep a loaded 18" 12 pump in the corner of the bedroom by the bed. Then I got kids. No loaded guns in the house for years. Now that the kids are gone, I have a 4" S&W 66 with 125 grain Remington semi jacketed hollow points loaded to about medium velocity close by. Oh, I almost forgot, I do have a 223 by the back door for varmints of any kind.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2007, 01:20:57 PM »
4" S&W 686  Tree-Fitty-Sevin with 158gr JHP and Surefire between the bed and the wall. Mossberg 500 with OO and Slugs on gunrack across the room. If they dont work I have a Louisville Slugger and harsh language.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 03:58:32 PM »
 ;D
     Went and Upgraded from my .410 single shot to this EMF Stagecoachch 12 GA. with #00's.

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2007, 06:13:56 AM »
Not that it matters with #00 buck, but out of curiosity, what are your barrels choked to.  It seems that with the current coach type guns, they are all "full" to compensate for the barrel length.  The original coach guns were sawed off full sized shotguns, so open cylinder.  With my 18 1/2" sawed off Win mod. 1200 I get about a softball sized pattern with #1 buck at 20 feet.  So, like I say, it probably doesn't much matter, but I am curious.

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2007, 06:49:42 AM »
Can I quote Warren Zevon."...got a Glock in my bedside table, ... machine gun leanin' by the bedroom door, a kevlar vest in the closet,... well I wear when I go to the store...  Dont come knockin' if you dont know mt Rottweiler's name...cus he'll be maulin' with intent to maim..." ;)

Offline FourBee

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2007, 03:47:34 PM »
Hey T-Rex
 It is choked to cylinder.   It gives roughly  a 14" pattern at 25 yds with the #00.   Weighs in at 8 pounds to handle the recoil.
The hammer springs are lightened for easier cocking.

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.