Author Topic: What is your HOME defense weapon?  (Read 36991 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What is your HOME defense weapon?
« Reply #390 on: February 18, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »
i sleep with a sword and nunchucks beside and above my bed. there is a mini mag light by my gerbil cage(rats passed). 
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #391 on: March 01, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »
12 gauge 870, dont actually shoot it, you just rack it a bunch of times and they run for the hills.

glock 19 does all the dirty work

if all that fails then its hand to hand combat with an 18" machete

When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #392 on: March 01, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
12 gauge 870, dont actually shoot it, you just rack it a bunch of times and they run for the hills.

Let's see....rack the 870 about 5 times and hmmmmm - no more shells in the gun...theyre all on the floor..... I would imagine when they are running for the hills they have your 870 with them.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Savage

« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2010, 01:40:33 AM »

Let's see....rack the 870 about 5 times and hmmmmm - no more shells in the gun...theyre all on the floor..... I would imagine when they are running for the hills they have your 870 with them.   

:D ;D :D  That's funny!!!

Hopefully he's just pulling our collective legs!  I wish I had a nickel for each time I've heard that nonsense repeated!!

Savage

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »
hey what do you guys think that i'm some kinda liberal or something, lol the 870 stays locked and loaded with 4 buck and the only time i'll be racking the gun is to eject a spent shell and chamber another
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline Savage

« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »

hey what do you guys think that i'm some kinda liberal or something, lol the 870 stays locked and loaded with 4 buck and the only time i'll be racking the gun is to eject a spent shell and chamber another

Nope, don't think you're a liberal, you just got some bad information somewhere.

Savage

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #396 on: March 02, 2010, 11:48:47 AM »
I kinda figure if someone is in my home, they don't need the courtesy sound to warn them I'm armed. And if the weapon is intended for home defense, it ought to be in Condition 1 anyway as all DA revolvers are when loaded.  ;D
held fast

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #397 on: March 23, 2010, 11:46:04 PM »
and how do most TV reports of home invasions start?

The family was attacked WHEN THEY OPENED THE DOOR!!!

I do not open the outer door without identifying the person calling. My outer door is heavy steel screen on a steel frame with both a door knob lock and a dead bolt. While it will not prevent a determined entry, it will slow the baddies enough for me to fully prepared to defend against boarders.

My primary HOME defense weapon is a Para P14-45 loaded with alternating WW 185gr Silvertips and Federal 165gr Expanding Total Metal Jackets.

While the 870/12 or the 5.56 AR would be useful across the family room/kitchen; either would be a poor substitute for a Quarter staff. My Quarter staff stands in the corner 3' from the headboard and right at the bathroom door.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OLDPUPPYMAX

« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2010, 06:56:12 AM »
A 12 gauge pump loaded with #2 buck. I can't imagine anything more intimidating than the sound of racking a shotgun, never mind the force of a well placed shot. At 15', mid torso, the spine is likely to be severed, even if the heart is missed. That will end any argument with thugs.

Offline Savage

« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2010, 07:43:42 AM »
A 12 gauge pump loaded with #2 buck. I can't imagine anything more intimidating than the sound of racking a shotgun,.

Hope that's not your HD plan. Most who have experience with combat shotguns will tell you that that's an excellent time to short stroke a pump shotgun. A more reliable intimidating sound is the blast.
Savage

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
i  want  that  sound for my door bell

that sound  always works on  TV
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #401 on: March 28, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »
I kinda figure if someone is in my home, they don't need the courtesy sound to warn them I'm armed. And if the weapon is intended for home defense, it ought to be in Condition 1 anyway as all DA revolvers are when loaded.  ;D

'xactly.   the only sound anyone will hear in my home is the bullet impacting their body.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #402 on: March 29, 2010, 02:48:13 AM »
People do often open the door to an attacker as SA noted but also in many cases the attacker is friend or family member .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #403 on: April 10, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »
People do often open the door to an attacker as SA noted but also in many cases the attacker is friend or family member .
All my friends and family members know that would be the best way to get shot!
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline tonantius

« Reply #404 on: April 15, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »
I typically keep a .380 LCP or Bersa Thunder 380 on my night stand with a backup mag. My son keeps an FNH Five-Seven in his desk with a 20-rnd mag. I also have an AR-15 with two 30-rnd mags nearby. I have a small tactical flashlight next to the pistol. I have a tactical light and laser with pressure switch on the AR-15. The LCP has a Crimson Trace laser grip. My son has a PS-20 in his closet with a 50-rnd mag. All of this should buy us enough time for the wife to open the ammo locker and the gun safe.  ;)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #405 on: April 23, 2010, 10:47:28 AM »
How many folks here have extended family members that might live nearby that will open the door to your home and walk in without knocking or ringing the bell. 

I'll tell you why I ask.

My inlaws. Usually we know if/when they are coming over.  They don't knock. Ever. Once they came over after dark but before the kids' bedtime.
The back door BURST open.  The dog went into riotous barking defense mode. Kids and I were startled.  Next time I'm going to yell a warning and maybe they'll catch on.  Point being, not only is it rude, but places their grandkids at a safety risk making the household acustomed to unannounced entrants.

Thoughts?

Offline Savage

« Reply #406 on: April 23, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »
How many folks here have extended family members that might live nearby that will open the door to your home and walk in without knocking or ringing the bell. 

I'll tell you why I ask.

My inlaws. Usually we know if/when they are coming over.  They don't knock. Ever. Once they came over after dark but before the kids' bedtime.
The back door BURST open.  The dog went into riotous barking defense mode. Kids and I were startled.  Next time I'm going to yell a warning and maybe they'll catch on.  Point being, not only is it rude, but places their grandkids at a safety risk making the household acustomed to unannounced entrants.

Thoughts?

A locked door solves your problem. I'd still let the in-laws, and everyone else know that they wouldn't like my startle response to an unannounced entry.
Savage

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #407 on: April 23, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »
A locked door solves your problem. I'd still let the in-laws, and everyone else know that they wouldn't like my startle response to an unannounced entry.
Savage

My doors are always locked when I'm home.  I want 100% assurance that someone is out to do me harm before I use deadly force.  A locked door will do that.

I wouldn't want to live with my consience if I shot someone who merely wandered in because of a bout of dementia, drunkeness or just a case of "oops wrong house".  I went 'round and 'round with my two kids when they were living with me about keeping the doors locked, but they finally understood when I explained it to them in the above terms.  It was also my reason to them for wanting to know their whereabouts at all times and when they planned on coming home.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #408 on: April 23, 2010, 01:22:57 PM »
...............also, I see many comments about leaving a pistol or other weapon "on the night stand" or other place out in the open.  My question is do you have dogs in the house to alert you?  After my last dog passed away and was not replaced, I started keeping my weapons secure.  I have a "Gun Vault" type safe with a touch pad built into my headboard and it only takes a couple of seconds to deploy (yes I do practice from time to time).  Anyway my thought was that if someone DID somehow manage to get the drop on me while I'm sleeping, I didn't want to be staring down the barrel of my own weapon.

At such time that my lifestyle allows me to have dogs again, I won't worry about anyone surprising me but until then?

Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #409 on: April 23, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »
Oh, forgot.  My home defense weapon?
Smith M&P Compact 40 cal

......and if need be I'll fight my way to this:

Curtis

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #410 on: May 15, 2010, 03:09:41 PM »

What weapon and ammo do you keep handy for defending your home and family?

This is an interesting thread...

On the street...I'll obviously have a handgun.

But in my home...Wow, there's a lot to consider...close quarters, sheetrock walls with 2x4 construction....possibility of FAMILY in nearby rooms. Yeah I've gone over this in my mind many times.

This was real easy for me. You'll find a shotgun real close by.

Somebody tries to break into my home...pose a threat to my family...they will most likely hear me racking a Buckshot round into a Remington 870 and staring down the recieving end of a "20" tactical barrel. In my home...I don't need concealed carry and when I hit the Bad Guy I want that mass of lead to stop right there...read that to mean "NO Over Penetration". And Gawd forbid, should I miss...I want THAT mass of lead to stop in my house and not be a threat to my neighbors.

Besides, why do you think Doc Holiday took a 10 gauge to the OK Corral?

Because it works...by Gawd!
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #411 on: May 15, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
...............also, I see many comments about leaving a pistol or other weapon "on the night stand" or other place out in the open.  My question is do you have dogs in the house to alert you?  After my last dog passed away and was not replaced, I started keeping my weapons secure.  I have a "Gun Vault" type safe with a touch pad built into my headboard and it only takes a couple of seconds to deploy (yes I do practice from time to time).  Anyway my thought was that if someone DID somehow manage to get the drop on me while I'm sleeping, I didn't want to be staring down the barrel of my own weapon.

At such time that my lifestyle allows me to have dogs again, I won't worry about anyone surprising me but until then?

Curtis

About the only thing "Sweet Thangs" pomeranian is good for.  She can hear a flea crawling across the carpet.....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Lt Smoke

« Reply #412 on: July 06, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
18", 870 with 7 rnds of 000, Kimber Stainless II  45 acp with Lawman 230g HP, Wife has a CA Bulldog Pug .44 special with 200g XTP's, Sure Fire Lithium flashlight x2 and a cell phone. The two  peacocks in the yard are a really good early warning system. Oh yeah if things get really ugly we have two Brangus Bulls that like to run off tresspassers..........
There allways will be hard things in your life. The only sad thing you will ever face is giving up.

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #413 on: July 09, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »
Ithaca model 37 HD with 4 rounds of 2.75" Federal #6 and a fore-end light.
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #414 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:16 AM »
XD45 Service and an 11-87 turkey gun stoked with slugs.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #415 on: July 13, 2010, 06:49:24 PM »
Remington 870 with 00 buck
Glock 17 with spare mag
custom Colt 1911 downstairs
Ruger GP 100
Surefire flashlight
Rottweiler house dog

If one could only have a single item from that list to defend their home,I the Rott would be my choice. Second choice would be the 870 followed by the 1911. The Rott could have the Glock as a chew toy. Its nice chewey plastic. LOL

Offline semperfi1970

• Avid Poster
« Reply #416 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:38 AM »
1st the usmc flag flown off of my front steps, locked dooors 2nd, 3rd a chiwawa along side a african grey parrot (early warning device), 4th cell phone call to 911, 5th my deep voice demanding one leaves my home and as the last resort my trusty .357 with 158 grain xtp hollow points hand loaded to the max. If one manages to get by me then they must contend with the wifes 20 guage buck shot. If one is lucky enought to evade all of this then there is the 17 year old boy at the end of the hall defending his little sister with a 45/70 guide gun. 

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #417 on: August 18, 2010, 06:43:32 AM »
1st the usmc flag flown off of my front steps, locked dooors 2nd, 3rd a chiwawa along side a african grey parrot (early warning device), 4th cell phone call to 911, 5th my deep voice demanding one leaves my home and as the last resort my trusty .357 with 158 grain xtp hollow points hand loaded to the max. If one manages to get by me then they must contend with the wifes 20 guage buck shot. If one is lucky enought to evade all of this then there is the 17 year old boy at the end of the hall defending his little sister with a 45/70 guide gun. 

I like that response!

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #418 on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:43 AM »

Luke 11:21 , When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe. 
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #419 on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »

A layered defense, very nice.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.