Author Topic: What is your HOME defense weapon?  (Read 36992 times)

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: What is your HOME defense weapon?
« Reply #420 on: August 18, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »
Springfield Mil Spec 1911,  .45 ACP, with a Wilson 8rd mag loaded with Winchester 230gr SXT's in a sock drawer upstairs, along with a  10rd mag and a 6V lithium Surefire flashlight.  Downstairs theres my SP101 2" .357 CCW gun that's either on my body or laying atop the guncabinet in the living room, with Rem 125gr Golden Sabers and a couple full Bianchi speed strips up there.

I hope its not laying on the gun cabinet when your asleep upstairs.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #421 on: August 18, 2010, 09:58:17 PM »
This aught to start a flame.
Why?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jimster

« Reply #422 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25:08 AM »
I have a few home defense weapons around in various places of different kinds to cover different things, they would be awful hard to find for anyone else, but I like the idea of having them spread around the place, even in the garage. Easiest one to find would be the one on me, I carry one most all the time.
The firearms I like access to would be various revolvers and auto pistols, shotgun, rifle, carbine.  Don't have fast access to the ones in the gun safe and those ones are not loaded.  I want access to something no matter where I'm at around the place.  No kids to worry about either.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #423 on: August 19, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
I have a few home defense weapons around in various places of different kinds to cover different things, they would be awful hard to find for anyone else, but I like the idea of having them spread around the place, even in the garage. Easiest one to find would be the one on me, I carry one most all the time.
The firearms I like access to would be various revolvers and auto pistols, shotgun, rifle, carbine.  Don't have fast access to the ones in the gun safe and those ones are not loaded.  I want access to something no matter where I'm at around the place.  No kids to worry about either.

I dont know where you hide them,so I dont know if this is applicable or not,but someone breaking into your house to come kill you is one thing,they are likely to be searching for places where you or your family are hiding. Someone breaking into your house to find money or something to sell is quite another. They are going to be looking in all the places that people hide things. If they get lucky,they might find your gun. Actually,considering that guns ARE something valuable to sell,they will probably be looking for just that,and if they are good at their craft,which many criminals are, they might just find one. The more you hide,the more likely they are to find one. If I was that worried,actually,when I was that worried,becuase I lived in a bad neighborhood,I just wore a gun in a holster most of the time. That way I dont have to worry about having one within reach,and I dont have to worry about arming the punk that breaks in looking for crack money,who was either too stupid,or too high to wait until I left. I dont know that this is or is not the case for you,as I dont know where and how you hide your guns,its just something I like to keep in mind.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #424 on: August 19, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
12 gauge 870, dont actually shoot it, you just rack it a bunch of times and they run for the hills.

glock 19 does all the dirty work

if all that fails then its hand to hand combat with an 18" machete

Ill rack it a bunch of times,once between each shot. If he manages to be laying face down on the floor with his hands out stretched,then he got the warning and did the smart thing,if I miss on the first shot,he had a warning shot.

Offline jimster

« Reply #425 on: August 22, 2010, 07:21:10 AM »
I dont know where you hide them,so I dont know if this is applicable or not,but someone breaking into your house to come kill you is one thing,they are likely to be searching for places where you or your family are hiding. Someone breaking into your house to find money or something to sell is quite another. They are going to be looking in all the places that people hide things. If they get lucky,they might find your gun. Actually,considering that guns ARE something valuable to sell,they will probably be looking for just that,and if they are good at their craft,which many criminals are, they might just find one. The more you hide,the more likely they are to find one. If I was that worried,actually,when I was that worried,becuase I lived in a bad neighborhood,I just wore a gun in a holster most of the time. That way I dont have to worry about having one within reach,and I dont have to worry about arming the punk that breaks in looking for crack money,who was either too stupid,or too high to wait until I left. I dont know that this is or is not the case for you,as I dont know where and how you hide your guns,its just something I like to keep in mind.

I have all the bases covered for me and where I live, nobody can get close to the property or house without lots of noise and commotion from dogs, of course if nobody is home they can kill the dogs, but if nobody is home all my weapons have been rounded up and locked in the safe with all the rest...and with the dogs dead and lots of time, they will get the entire safe anyway if there is tons of time.  If someone is home, which is most all the time, it just depends on who lives and who doesn't after a confrontation.  I find that dogs (more than one) are really really good alarm systems, they are not designed to protect you, just to alert you so you can protect them. These kinds of dogs can seem like a real pain, making way too much noise if anyone stops over over walks by the property, even raising heck at night with any little thing and waking you up if a critter makes a noice outside, sometimes it's hard to not tell them to shut up, I just have to remember they are the alarm system and put up with it.  I would not recommend my ways or how I choose to live with my guns to anyone else ever, everyone has different circumstances and lives in a different place, but I figure I am free to make my choices for my situation.  I will only go so far in protection from criminal activity, when nobody is home I do what I can to slow them up with access to my stuff, if I am home I prefer access to more loaded weapons, and that is not because I am thnking about criminals or paranoid, it might be because they are also used for tools in some cases around the place.
I won't let criminals dictate to me how many firearms I have access to while I'm home or where they are.  That is only my view, for where I live, and I am sure if I lived in other places I would need to re-think all that, so your point is very well taken.

Jim

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #426 on: September 07, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »
I'm still looking for an m79 thumper I used in vietnam-what a great home protection weapon that would make. What a mess it use to make of things.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #427 on: September 08, 2010, 08:40:14 AM »
I don't own any guns ;D, but if I did I sure wouldn't tell the world what they are and where I keep them.
 ::)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #428 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:40 AM »
only note the bait  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jimster

« Reply #429 on: September 08, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
I don't own any guns , but if I did I sure wouldn't tell the world what they are and where I keep them.

If you did, they would be somewhere on your property.   ;) 

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #430 on: September 08, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »
The only time I am NOT carrying my Sig 226 Navy 9mm at home is when I'm in the shower and sleeping. She's on my hip as I type this, so that alleviates the issue of having a "defender" for each room thru-out the house.

Next to my nightstand is my Rem 870 Tactical w/8 shells of 4 Buck. If I have the chance and spare seconds to grab the 870, I would do so. I'd much rather use a shotgun than a pistol in such a situation, every time. It being equipped with a swat light helps and adds peace of mind. I could put one on the Sig but would have to remove it every morning so it fits in the holster, No Thanks.

The 870 gets put in the safe when I leave the house. I have a very real fear of coming home and seeing the barrel end of my own shotgun  :o Sure I'd have my Sig but I don't think that would make me feel any better when my own 870 is already being pointed at me as I enter. I get sick just thinking about that.

Thats one of the best things about a shotgun. No matter what the bad guy is pointing back at you,if you have a shotgun in your hands,he probably feels outgunned.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #431 on: September 08, 2010, 05:49:22 PM »
Has anyone ever continued an attack after being hit with any shotgun round?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #432 on: September 09, 2010, 03:41:34 AM »
cheesehead , in a class i took they showed cases of just that . The point was up close a load of shot is still in a tight wad and is easy to miss with and if it dosen't hit something important the attacker will keep comming. One person was hit in the head and lived long enough to stab the guy he was attacking. Illegal drugs can cause people to not feel alot of pain it would seem.

Offline Savage

« Reply #433 on: September 09, 2010, 03:42:05 AM »
I'm still looking for an m79 thumper I used in vietnam-what a great home protection weapon that would make. What a mess it use to make of things.

As the projectile doesn't arm inside 30yds or so, you'd effectively have a 40mm solid projectile. Still quite lethal, but less than ideal for anything but it's intended use. I'm sure your post was "Tongue in Cheek" still, the view from the muzzle end would be a bit intimidating and they make a fair club when empty!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #434 on: September 09, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »
but then there is canister shot ?

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #435 on: September 09, 2010, 04:21:24 AM »
Normally I have my Kahr CW45 by my side.
When the talking heads on tv report problems in my area there'll be additional options in the 12 guage variety.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #436 on: September 09, 2010, 05:44:26 AM »

As I remember we called them Buckshot rounds!   :-\  MAN!  Talk about intimidation!   :o ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2010, 06:54:53 AM »
the NEOSTEAD Bullpup shotgun i think would take care of anyone.  It's a double barrel pump shotgun with 13 round it can carry.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Savage

« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2010, 07:18:07 AM »

As I remember we called them Buckshot rounds!   :-\  MAN!  Talk about intimidation!   :o ;D

Yep, I am a fan of the "BB" rounds-----------Buckshot and Beehive! Both good area rounds!
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #439 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:13 AM »
One friend said he had some with flechettes in them . Said they were nasty. Also said it was best to place the butt aginst something solid like a wall or tree and not your shoulder .

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #440 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:39 AM »
I don't own any guns , but if I did I sure wouldn't tell the world what they are and where I keep them.

If you did, they would be somewhere on your property.   ;) 

Maybe.  My hope is that an intruder would be surprised when he found out.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #441 on: September 09, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »
If you like shotguns, here's one that might do the trick ...  ;D

held fast

Offline Savage

« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
One friend said he had some with flechettes in them . Said they were nasty. Also said it was best to place the butt aginst something solid like a wall or tree and not your shoulder .
Yep, that's the Beehive round.
Savage

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #443 on: September 10, 2010, 08:13:48 AM »
If you like shotguns, here's one that might do the trick ...  ;D

nice saiga 12ga, is that your baby?  looks like a Alliance Armament mode.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #444 on: September 10, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »
nice saiga 12ga, is that your baby?  looks like a Alliance Armament mode.

Not my baby ... while I'm not much into shotguns, its hard to beat the saiga action for reliability and value. For an HD weapon I think that pegs the "visual deterrent" category. Its a true measure of a person's resolve if they see that in your hands and continue with evil intent.
held fast

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #445 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
Has anyone ever continued an attack after being hit with any shotgun round?

Cheese

Im sure they have,but I bet its not too common.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #446 on: September 11, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »

As the projectile doesn't arm inside 30yds or so, you'd effectively have a 40mm solid projectile. Still quite lethal, but less than ideal for anything but it's intended use. I'm sure your post was "Tongue in Cheek" still, the view from the muzzle end would be a bit intimidating and they make a fair club when empty!
Savage
It was a tounge in cheek comment. Just a slight correction if I remember back it armed after 30 meters not yards.

Offline Savage

« Reply #447 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »
It was a tounge in cheek comment. Just a slight correction if I remember back it armed after 30 meters not yards.

Of course!
Savage

Offline Axehandle

• Contributor
« Reply #448 on: October 08, 2010, 06:07:39 AM »
Documented sleep walker here...  No loaded guns within reach.  Pocket Dawg sleeps close.  He knows when anything moves inside and out and gleefully wakes me up...  ;D   Being a single action revolver nut can't alter the mind set from 30 years of competing with 1911s. Cocked and Locked 45 auto a few steps away.  12 gauge 870 loaded with bird shot hangs beside the 45.  000 Buck in the sling if 7 rounds of bird shot doesn't solve the problem...  :)

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #449 on: October 15, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »
Walther P99 in .40 S&W filled with whatever I happen to have (usually FMJs, not the best defense round for the house I admit).

I keep it in a holster bundled with 3 mags (one in the grip) fully loaded.
"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero