Author Topic: What is your HOME defense weapon?  (Read 36969 times)

Offline usbone1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Fight to fly. Fly to fight. Fight to win.
Re: What is your HOME defense weapon?
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2007, 10:35:24 AM »
Well said IMShooter.  We, too, have neighborhood kids/teenagers perceived by most to be capable of burglary.  Speaking to parents was not effective, but how does one start that conversation?  We tried, and so far so good.

Crimes of opportunity is a most accurate statement.  However I keep two German short hair pointers, both quite territorial to assist us all in recognizing if and when someone invites themselves in to our home.  Hopefully an effective deterrent, and certainly round one in some burglars fight once inside our home.   

Cell phones are another plus, calling 911 as the dogs provide some warning is important.  I can only imagine the stress level achieved (almost instantaneously) upon being rudely awakened by that dog fight.  Not sure how to train for that one. 

I have alternated between OO buckshot and bird shot for home defense rounds.  Frankly, against a 200 pound mammal both should be effective out past 20 yards, and certainly across the bedroom or just down the hall.  Any lessons learned on that aspect?
USMC (Retired)
NRA Lifetime, Patron
Commercial SE/Multi-Engine (Land) with Instrument Airplane
Commercial Glider Aero Tow

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2007, 02:57:11 AM »
IMshooter , i do know as it has happened to me , once the front door was kicked in a 4 am. , once the back door at 8am. , once the front door was being jimmied when the intruder heard that lovely sound an 870 makes and once i did a stupid thing and answered a knock at the door at 10 pm. thank God i had a colt 45 in hand !
with regard to shooting some one - first i would not care to do so unless forced to , that said if i did in true self defense .
I don't believe i would loose sleep , may even sleep better knowing one predator was off the street !
I am not cold blooded i just believe he choose his fate not me !
and locks are great but the reality of locks is they protect the crook from justice , as an honest man wouldn't come in unless invited !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2007, 08:49:08 PM »
i'm with ShootAll on this one - I don't care if it's a teen, man or woman; if they're in my house uninvited then I'm going to protect my family!  I wouldn't lose any sleep over shooting anyone that breaks into my house, but I'd never sleep again if something happened to one of my little girls.  Like ShootAll said "an honest person wouldn't come in unless invited"!

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2007, 04:46:58 PM »
I would like to hear from current police officers.  Please tell us how your shooting investigation would be influenced by the home owner having multiple loaded firearms readily accessible.  And what if the homeowner had made boastful statements of what he would do to a burglar?  Would your investigation consider that the homeowner had taken or failed to take reasonable measures to avoid a break in/confrontation? 

Also, what if the dead intruder turned out to be unarmed? 

Even in the most justified of circumstances, what legal/financial/civil repercussion's could a citizen expect?

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2007, 07:34:34 PM »
IM shooter.
Good ? start you own new ?
I'd like to know as well.  I guess it would also be a ? for any Dist. Attorny that is on the site as well.

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »
I would like to hear from current police officers.  Please tell us how your shooting investigation would be influenced by the home owner having multiple loaded firearms readily accessible.  And what if the homeowner had made boastful statements of what he would do to a burglar?  Would your investigation consider that the homeowner had taken or failed to take reasonable measures to avoid a break in/confrontation? 

Also, what if the dead intruder turned out to be unarmed? 

Even in the most justified of circumstances, what legal/financial/civil repercussion's could a citizen expect?

I'll be happy to answer, HOWEVER, I have to qualify myself first. 20 years experience, County and Federal. Current assignment leaves me out of actually doing investigations such as this these days, so speaking from past experience and what someone could expect around where I live.

Several factors are at work here, the single biggest is the jurisdiction where you live. What is the law where you live? Where I live, "a man's home is his castle" is in effect, and we do not have "a duty to retreat". Some places you have to show you retreated, or avoided the confrontation even in your own home. Not here. In essence, a break-in to an occupied vehicle, RV, dwelling, etc., carries with it the presumption the intruder means to commit death or serious physical injury to those inside. Which means deadly force can be used against them, armed or unarmed.

Outside the home, deadly force can be used to prevent death or serious physical injury to one's self or another. In this situation, there are even more factors, mostly environmental ones for people like me.....as I type this.....I HAVE NO POLICE RESPONSE UNTIL 1000 IN THE MORNING. No kidding. Sheriff went home at 2200 hours. No one will come unless the Undersheriff authorizes it first. If Bubba is trying to break in, I can handle it. If he's stealing things out of my barn, he either steals it or I confront him.....and no backup is coming.  See the problem there?  Closer to the big city where I work, you'll get hung out to dry if you confront someone and wind up shooting him if you cannot prove he tried to harm you as outlined above. Where someone living where I do may be justified in shooting Bubba, in the city, much less justifiable.

As for your other questions about loaded firearms available, boastful statements, etc.  You are pretty much getting into an area where again, it depends on the cop answering your call, and the poltical climate.  I did in fact have to respond once to one of these calls, where the homeowner, on his fenced patio, had to hit a violent drunk in the head with a hoe.....homeowner was watching a fight we were called to, and for no reason the drunk went after him. Tried to get into his house. CRACK. Opened his head up. Then Mr. Drunk and Drunk #2 came after me. All said and done, IMHO homeowner was on solid ground. As I was leaving, an idiot in the form of a Sergeant (a drunk himself when not working) ORDERED me to cite the homeowner for Assault with a Deadly Weapon. No amount of arguing would work. Ultimately, I took the guy into a back bedroom and told him to tell his attorney to call me as a hostile witness when it came time. Then I wrote EXACTLY what happened, what I was ordered to do, and why I did what I did in the report.  "NO COMPLAINT". I did the right thing. Got yelled at....well, screamed at ....but so what.

Point is where I or others who grew up with guns and look to do the right thing, there are any number of moron cops, mostly younguns, who never touched a gun as a kid, and have no street smarts nor common sense.

Around here, dead guy in your house or outside who was trying to get in, armed or not, he shoulda picked on someone else.  Taking measures to scare them away is always going to work in your favor (verbal warnings which you certainly gave, right?). Outside your house things change.....was he armed, did you have police coming or are they available, what did you do to avoid him, etc.

Call 911, throw him a towel if he's awake to stop his bleeding, stay away from him no matter what. Soon as its safe, CALL AN ATTORNEY. Until they tell you what to do, "I was threatened, I took appropriate action. I'm not being difficult, I just need to talk to an atty". Otherwise, say nothing.  Yes, unless you live in a State protecting homeowners from such liability, you WILL be sued. Especially if this occurs someplace other than your home. $1,000,000 umbrella liability policy or rider on your homeowners is a good idea. Stay out of things unless its you and yours, or you just have no choice at all balanced against the above.

This of course is my .02 cents and is worth just that.

Gnite,

RR

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2007, 01:37:14 PM »
RR - Thank you for that response.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2007, 02:21:21 PM »
When I think of using a gun for home defense, it would be for a most extreme scenario. The actual protection of my family from attack. I would not consider shooting a neighborhood kid for stealing my tool box from my garage. If he came in my house I would feel threatened and act accordingly.

Cheese

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline DakotaMike

« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
Home self defense weapons:

Offline DakotaMike

« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »
Home self defense weapons:
2- German shepherds
1-12 guage shotgun
2- .45 acp handguns

I know it's not very politically correct but everything I own is worth a thief dying for.
DakotaMike

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2007, 05:19:51 AM »
Not unlike several other members it may depend on where in the house I am at the time.

However, the gun that rides on my hip daily and is usually within arms reach is my reworked M28.  6 shots of 230 grains Federals and six more ready to go. 

Very comforting.

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline jon_7687

« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2007, 11:31:38 AM »
My glock 31 stays with me anywhere i go in the house. I dont always keep it on my person, but its never more than an arms reach away. In my room, I have either my ar-15 with two 30 round mags loaded with Hornady TAP 62grn's or my Rem 870 loaded with alternating 000 buck and 1oz slug. Which one I keep out just depends on what I want to look at that day.

I've had my house broken into on one occasion. I was at home and heard someone messing with my door handle. Luckily when he took a step in and noticed the 12 gauge looking him in the face he turned around and hauled butt out. It was pretty stressful to say the least, but then again it was nice to actually see how I would respond to that situation. He didnt have any weapons, and I was across the room with many pieces of furnature between us. I didnt feel like I needed to pull the trigger at that point. He never tried to come toward me, just stepped in and noticed me holding the gun, then left..... very quickly I might add. Had he been holding ANY kind of weapon, that would have been the last step he took. I will add this was in the middle of the day, about 330pm. If it was night, the outcome would have probably been different.

I try not to get in to a situation to where I would have to use my weapon on anyone. I dont ever want to take anothers life, even if I was protecting myself or others. With that said, if there was no other way , and it came down to my life or theirs I would blow them away and never lose any sleep over it.

I would not ever try to confront someone trying to steal anything outside of my home. I dont have anything outside of my house that I couldnt replace. Most everything in my house thats not locked in the safe wouldnt be a big deal if it was stolen. Would it piss me off to no end to see someone breaking into my car, shed, etc..... yes, but is it worth going out and confronting someone not knowing what mindset theyre in, what weapons they have, how many of them, no i dont think so. This is purely my opinion, and I understand that other peoples views on it, but my priorities are keeping the things that cant be replaced, my family safe, even if that means letting them get away with stealing my stuff.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2007, 09:40:38 AM »
watched a tv show where a theif would break in a home and collect guns and money in a very few min.
they seem to know where we hide them !
See jail is college for crooks to exchange what they have learned !
anyway it got me to thinking ( yea it can hurt me to think ) anyway if i have to many guns out and about i just might be arming my attacker . something to consider !

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2007, 12:29:17 PM »
Shootall I think that show was called To Catch a Thief or something like that. It used to come on discovery if I recall. I do think that if you have too many guns out then its a problem but too few is a problem also.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2007, 02:03:10 AM »
That's right !

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2007, 02:37:56 AM »
Yeah I used to watch it when it came on because it was a good show. I just wonder what happened to it? I might google it.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2007, 02:41:08 AM »
 my guess it ain't PC !

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2007, 02:57:42 AM »
It stopped airing in April and they are not sure if there is going to be a third season. Its still on discovery's site so my guess is it might. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Thief_(2005_TV_series)

Rick

Offline 30-30 single

• i love my handi
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »
Under the bed 870 with 2 3/4 #8's small wholes to patch and number 8's with a full choke stay balled up pretty good at close range. In the night stand Beretta 96 SS with 180gr HP and an extra magazine. 120 pound American bulldog.

Offline rural17

« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
Ithaca mod. 37 loaded with 00 buck shot  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline phalanx

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2008, 06:53:22 PM »
rural ,a mod. 37 for me also.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline rural17

« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
Phalanx,  Yea I think the old 37 would do the trick. Hopefully we'll never have to find out   :(

Offline JerryNH

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2008, 05:41:21 AM »
1911 .45 ACP!

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »
In these days of career criminals, home invasions and murder, you would think they would make the mistake of choosing the wrong home to attack, a well armed home and home owner. I just never here such stories.

Cheese

You won't hear of it in most locals, becouse the news media won't use the story. They don't want to encourage people to defend themselves.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »
I use a Rossi 20 gauge shot gun with 20'' barrels and outside hammers and 3" mags with #4 shot, and a Taurus .357 by the bed, and near this computer my old companion a Llama .380.

As for having to shoot someone--well Vietnam must have messed me up in the head (or so I have been told a few times over the years)--there is no problem. I try to avoid situations where problems may occur, but if they do--tough sh-t, better them than me. That said, when I lived in NC I saw on TV where some guy shot an intruder who was breaking into his house--he told the guy to leave but the intruder kept comming. While on TV this homeowner was crying and whinning--really acting like a wimp--well he didn't get charged with anything--they don't have the castle doctrine in NC--or at least didn't when I  lived there, and the city attorney was a real liberal piece of offal that was quick to charge someone.

If I lived in a rural area and was in a situation where I had to shoot someone--well the police may not even be called. I might either drag them off somewhere--or else bury them at least 6 feet deep so the smell doesn't come through the ground. For if you are ever in a shooting situation, and even years later you happen to end up in another one--the other situation may come back to haunt you. It could end up being used against you in court.

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2008, 08:00:22 AM »
 If you come in my house with bad intentions, the first thing you meet is my 100# bulldog, because he wants to meet you first. If you hurt him, you really don't want to see what is behind door number two!

Offline BOGA

« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »
870 and G22 and 2 dogs

Offline WVMikeyC

• Be careful what you wish for you just may get it
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2008, 03:18:47 AM »
Springfield XD40 , and  12 gauge pump. Live out in the country so by the time you call the police it will be a while. Where I live "if" I ever had to shoot someone, with the crackheads up through the field I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be too much said. To those folks (the crack heads ) I'm known as the crazy rich bastard on the hill with a gun. Do to the fact that my wife and I both work and they're all on welfare and won't work. Go figure

Offline AlabamaBoy

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
Picked up a H and R   12 ga at a show for a song awhile back .Has a 18.5 barrel with the bead on it .It stays next to the bed with 00buck .Pistol is in the nightstand with 30 rounds ready to go . Also have a Mossi 500 under the bed and 15 rounds within arms reach of it . The Hand R is just small enough that it can't be seen over the nightstand and is easy to move around with .

Offline Poohgyrr

« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2008, 09:27:43 AM »
Someone mentioned dogs, and yup we have those.  They protect their home and bark loud enough to wake the dead.

If they aren't enough, we have a Winchester M94 with ten rounds of .45LC, a Colt 1911/45 with my wife, and whatever I'm wearing (maybe a Hi Power).  Cell phones with the local PD's emergency number programed in it and flashlights are nearby.  If it comes down to it, my wife can handle any of the above.  If I need it, an 870 with buck and slugs is available.
John

Blue Skies, green hills, clean trout streams, and home made ice cream

"Life brings us joys and sorrow alike, it is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true measure of his mettle."  T. Roosevelt