Author Topic: What is your HOME defense weapon?  (Read 36978 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
What is your HOME defense weapon?
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:43:11 PM »
What weapon and ammo do you keep handy for defending your home and family?

I keep a Smith and Wesson model 29 loaded with 44 Special ammo. For me this gun is fool proof and second nature.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: What is your HOME defense weopon?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 12:56:17 PM »
Ruger 3in SP101 in 357,night sights, magnaport and crimsontrace grips.Loaded with CorBon 38 Special 110gr DPX, speedloaders with Remington Golden Sabre 125 gr 357's.  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What is your HOME defense weopon?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »
An 870 with 7 rounds of 00 buck on a rack under my side of the bed, a Sig 245 with and extra mag in the night stand.  And last but not least, a 5 cell mag light.  i can attach the mag light to the shotgun, or hand hold it if using the pistol.  On my wife's side, a Mauser HSc .380, telephone, and cell phone pre-programed to dial 911 by speed dial.

Offline Savage

Re: What is your HOME defense weapon?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:36:02 PM »
Glock 22 with a rail light, loaded with 16 rds of Ranger "T". My wife likes to keep the Glcok 36 on her side. If that's not enough, it just wasn't my day!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline safari

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 05:11:18 PM »
Springfield Mil Spec 1911,  .45 ACP, with a Wilson 8rd mag loaded with Winchester 230gr SXT's in a sock drawer upstairs, along with a  10rd mag and a 6V lithium Surefire flashlight.  Downstairs theres my SP101 2" .357 CCW gun that's either on my body or laying atop the guncabinet in the living room, with Rem 125gr Golden Sabers and a couple full Bianchi speed strips up there.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 05:56:56 PM »
Depends on which room I'm in as each has its own home defense weapon loaded ready and waiting. And in some cases it depends on just where in the room I am as to which of the multiples in those rooms might be closest to me. Pretty much anywhere in my home I'm at most two steps from the nearest loaded gun. Most places I spend any time such as here at my computer desk I just have to extend my hand and lay it on the nearest. Same in the living room when I'm in my recliner I just extend my hand and there it is.

At night when in bed (the most likely time to expect a home invasion) the nearest is a S&W Model 60 3" .357 Magnum with laser sight. Equally fast to get to would be a Glock .40 S&W with night sights and a Remington 870 12 gauge. Requiring a bit more time would be numerous rifles should longer range home defense be required, a very unlkely event in my mind.

Some of my readily available guns are revolvers, some semiauto handguns, some shotguns some rifles. Like I said there is no shortage of readily available loaded guns ready to be grabbed instantly from any place I might be in the house even to when sitting on the throne where a .357 Magnum S&W is instantly at hand should the events require it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ironworker

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:33:53 PM »
Sig Sauer 229 loaded with W-W Black Talons and Soeer Gold Dot.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 09:59:21 PM »
Right by the bed is a S&W 66 with night sights and loaded .357 HydraShoks. If I have to go through the trouble of actually getting out of bed there is a Glock 21 on the dresser (my usual carry gun), a 638 on the dresser (my usual backup carry gun), and a Makarov in my BOB. Sometimes I switch the Makarov with a 2.5" S&W 19. One the wife's side of bed is a SP101 with Winchester 110-gr. .357s.

Of course, the first line of defense is a very protective German Shepherd who's bed is midway between the front and back doors. By far, the best home defense weapon/alarm system of all.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 03:43:43 AM »
Like Graybeard, I used to have loaded guns in all rooms of the house. It got to be such a hassle rounding them all up any putting them in the safe when my wife and I were both leaving the house, that I no longer have more than 2 or 3 out at a time. The ones I have out are strategically located and well hidden. My carry gun is on my person anytime I'm dressed, and within reach at all other times. I don't like leaving guns out of the safe when I'm out, as I fear they might be used against me. That brings up my question to Graybeard and anyone else who stashes guns around the house: Do you collect and secure all your guns when you are leaving the house, or do you rely on your hiding places keeping them secure?
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 04:49:17 AM »
Remington 870 with 00 buck
Glock 17 with spare mag
custom Colt 1911 downstairs
Ruger GP 100
Surefire flashlight
Rottweiler house dog

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 09:39:09 AM »
me.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 11:04:20 AM »
Most are sufficiently concealed that it's unlikely anyone would find them without specific knowledge of where to look. But since my house is always occupied 24-7 by at least one member of my family I see no reason to gather them and do anything else with them but leave them in their hiding places. On average I doubt my house is completely void of any member of my household for more than a few hours in total the entire year long. Someone is always here even if it's not me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 04:30:51 PM »
My model 29 is kept in a quick access mini safe in the bedroom and the PPK is kept in my garage hidden and secured. I have many more guns but choose not to deploy any more.

Cheese

Offline SAA

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
My dogs, my guns are unloaded and locked up in a safe.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
You keep your dogs in a safe? :o ;)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline SAA

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 09:58:51 PM »
You keep your dogs in a safe? :o ;)
I don't want anyone to steal them! ;)

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 04:40:30 AM »
I'm glad they're unloaded! :D
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 02:13:41 AM »
It appears that Graybeard and I have something in common  ;) I have a loaded firearm in just about every room of the house. Depending on where I am, I either reach for a S&W 4006, a Beretta 96D, a Sig 229, etc.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 02:56:05 AM »
Taurus 44C with .44 Spl loads for low flash and control.

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 05:55:15 AM »
The only time I am NOT carrying my Sig 226 Navy 9mm at home is when I'm in the shower and sleeping. She's on my hip as I type this, so that alleviates the issue of having a "defender" for each room thru-out the house.

Next to my nightstand is my Rem 870 Tactical w/8 shells of 4 Buck. If I have the chance and spare seconds to grab the 870, I would do so. I'd much rather use a shotgun than a pistol in such a situation, every time. It being equipped with a swat light helps and adds peace of mind. I could put one on the Sig but would have to remove it every morning so it fits in the holster, No Thanks.

The 870 gets put in the safe when I leave the house. I have a very real fear of coming home and seeing the barrel end of my own shotgun  :o Sure I'd have my Sig but I don't think that would make me feel any better when my own 870 is already being pointed at me as I enter. I get sick just thinking about that.

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 05:58:37 AM »

Mine is an Ithaca Mod. 37, but unlike the rest of you I have a load of 1 1/4 oz of number 6 1/2 shot in it for the first 2 rounds, then a slug. If I am sitting at the computer they are just hosed as that is the same room the safe is in and depending on how mad I am they could end up looking down the barrel of a 45-70 even.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 06:12:11 AM »
870 police mag. , Glock 20 nite sights , ranch rifle .
2 dogs out side ( not in safe ) work as alarm !
oh yea , a ka-bar !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline FourBee

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 12:52:24 PM »
An old Winchester single shot 410 GA.  Works good on skunks, armadillos, and opposums, and a few snakes.   Haven't had to use it against man.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »
I keep a 1911 with 230 grain Hydra-shocks and a Surefire flashlight.  The wife keeps an 870 with buckshot on her side of the bed.  Of course we have the dog as well that will give plenty of notice.  I also keep a S&W 66 with 158 grain hollow points in my office.

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 06:07:29 PM »
Charter Arms Off Duty 38
Mossberg 500 Security 12ga loaded with 2 rounds #4 buck, 3 rounds 00 buck, 2 rounds 1oz slug, 6 more 00 buck on the stock, and a belt of 25 assorted buck and slug rounds

I've started keeping my NEF Handi in 243 in my closet, just in case the need arises to shoot at something 300 yards away

I figure that's enough to fight my way to the safe across the hallway if needed.

Offline a1huntingsupply

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • A-1 Hunting and Shooting Supply
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »
My XD40 is my carry weapon and it also stays by the bed at night with 2 extra 12rd mags.

The AR15 is close by (locked up) with 4 - 30rd mags ready.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
870 12G short barrel with 00 buck. Except for a rhino or water buffalo invading the house it probably can stop anything else. My wife shoots it pretty good too.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »
In these days of career criminals, home invasions and murder, you would think they would make the mistake of choosing the wrong home to attack, a well armed home and home owner. I just never here such stories.

Cheese

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
Yep, you would think more and more folks would consider some form of personal defense for the home especially after what happened last with that family in Connecticut.  That was truly sad.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 04:23:23 PM »
double barrel loaded with 00buck, .380 semi auto, 870 with xtrafull turkey choke and remington nitro 3 1/2in mag mixed with 3in 00 buck, remington 700 30.06, and if i really need it my t/c encore muzzleloader but i have to load it lol
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick