Author Topic: What is your HOME defense weapon?  (Read 36976 times)

Offline T-Rex

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What is your HOME defense weapon?
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2007, 04:03:04 AM »
FourBee,  great! it sounds perfect for the job.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2007, 06:35:52 AM »
I live in an "Ethnically Diverse" part of town, meaning they'll let anyone live there regardless of countless Felony Convictions.  So I take this stuff pretty seriously......there's a 12-shot 40 caliber pistol and two loaded mags close to the front door, a .380 next to my recliner, a 20-gauge pump on the off-side of the bed, a 357 IN the bed, another 357 in the pantry, and an AR-15 in the closet with half a dozen loaded mags close by.  I also have a dozen flashlights scattered through the house, so I can illuminate the bad guy before I light him up.  All the heavy weapons are locked in the safe.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2007, 06:52:26 AM »
a 357 IN the bed,
Papajohn

thats a little crazy. you don't have one in the chamber do ya?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline goldhound56

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2007, 02:09:12 PM »
Well beside my bed is aTaurus ( The Judge ) .410 / 45 cal.  with 21/2 inch 000 buck and #71/2 shot , over my bed is a Ruger 10/22 with light and 2 ,30 round mags !( Up date ! 6-2-09 ) sold the Judge , got a new Ruger 10/22 Charger  with 2, 30 rd.mags.  beside my bed !

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »
Tomorrow I pick up my Remington 870 shotgun and that'll be my PRIMARY house gun but there will still be a few handguns hidden around the house that I'll use to stave off the BGs until I can get to the 870 (at least that's the game plan).
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Honay

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2007, 05:48:33 PM »
 Desert Eagle .50. 7 rounds of 300gr ammo !!!!
and if thats not enough 10-22 with 25 shot mag and 12 guage pump with 000 buck
Do You Want To See What WILL Happen If You TRY To Take My Guns Away???? :biggun:

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2007, 07:10:44 PM »
......... All the heavy weapons are locked in the safe.Papajohn

Wow!

I guess I am wondering what heavy weapons are if the light stuff includes a shotgun and 357 Mags?   50 BMG & 375 H&H are not close range self defense rounds except when hunting Cape Buffalo in South African thickets!

....and I thought that I was paranoid when I purchased an Astra Stainless Steel Snub-nosed 44 Rem Mag Terminator.

Offline JerryNH

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2007, 12:34:02 AM »
Springfield 1911 .45 ACP  in the night stand, Remington 870 is in the closet.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2007, 01:18:31 AM »
What is your home defense weapon ? LOADED AT ALL TIMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2007, 08:13:33 AM »
Smith and Wesson police shotgun with #4 buck shot. Gov't model 45 acp loaded with 230 grain ball, 1917 Smith and Wesson in 45 acp 185 grain Hollow points. In the shop it is SKS with soft point ammo. I do not keep anything with a round under the hammer. The mags are loaded but the actions have to be worked to load the weapon. The Shotgun is primary beside the bed. iIkeep it in the fired position so all we have to do is rack the action and you are on go. An believe me when you hear that action working in the dark it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2007, 02:41:08 PM »
Papajohn428   Have ya ever considered movin.  I think I would.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2007, 02:56:53 PM »
Don't count on scaring off a perp by racking slide on your shotgun.  There are plenty of BGs out there who'll stare death in the face and commence firing.  You can thank the influx of meth and PCP for this.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2007, 12:48:05 AM »
the sound of an 870 going off might be the best sound to deter a criminal !

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2007, 06:38:38 AM »
My house gun is the same Colt 1911 .45 auto lying on the night stand that I have carried in my IWB holster all day.  I can attest to the deterrent effect of the sound of a weapon 'racking'.  Years ago when there were still kids at home, I would put my 1911 on the night stand with the hammer down and the chamber empty but a loaded mag in place.  (Now it is always in condition 'one'.  Cocked, locked and ready to go)  One night my older son who lived in a nearby city, dropped in un-announced in the middle of the night.  He knew where the key was and let himself in.  When the kitchen light came on, I was half-way down the bedroom hallway.  At that same time I racked a round into the chamber.  Immediately I heard 'Dad!  DAD!  It's me!  Mickey!  DAD!!!' as my son escalated from yelling to screaming.  He always calls now before he drops in.  All was safe and the gun never got pointed in his direction and my trigger finger remained straight, but is was a good lesson in the effects that sound has.  I would not want to hear it if I was not the one holding the gun!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »
20ga. 870 w/ 5 rounds of buckshot ( no laws against plugs when not hunting here in Ms)  in closet VERY close to bed and a 44mag. Redhawk with a 71/2 in. loaded with 300gr. XTP ammo in the back of my wheelchair right beside the bed for easy reaching.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2007, 07:59:04 PM »
S&W Model 28 .357 Mag with 125 grain golden sabers in it and a speed loader ready.  That is only till I can get to the Win 1897 solid frame riot gun with Winchester Handicap 1 1/8 oz of #9's.  Why 9's you may ask.  Well if I had a steak and shot it with 9 to 12 buck pellets a surgeon could sew it up to look like a steak again.   Close to 500 little 9 shot in each load will tun that steak to Hamburger and no surgeon can make hamburger back into a steak.  Besides the name of the stopping game is blood loss and lots of little holes bleed better than a few big ones.  I use the 97 cause no one knows how to work one and if it's found before I can get to it, I'm not too worried that they can figure out the hammer and the pump.  Everyone knows how to work my 870 or S&W 3000.
I need to replace my Dog.   Though I don't think I would keep Her unloaded and in the safe like SAA. 

Offline jamesrus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • You want my gun? Take it from me then..I'm waiting
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2007, 09:53:17 PM »
Stevens model 67e 12 gauge 3 inch magnum, 19 inch barrel with extended magazine holds 8, 3 inchers or 9, 2 3/4 . Loaded with alternating 00 and 000 buckshot laying on my headboard.

In my truck Ruger P97 .45, loaded with 230 grain golden sabres

Jamesrus

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2007, 05:41:39 AM »
My dog's didn't like the safe life. They got hungry and are afraid of guns. ;D
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »
Like Greybeard I try to keep a loaded weapon in every room, but since the most likely scenario is to awaken to some sort of bump in the night, my nightstand gun is a REM 870 loaded with 3 1/2" #2 Turkey loads.  2 oz. of #2 shot at room clearing range is no laughing matter.  I shot a 250 lb hog at about 15 yards with this load and the results were impressive.

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »
Got an old pump High Standard for 75 bucks. Cut the barrel to 19 inches and installed a raised bead and a Williams FP receiver sight.
While its awaiting a chance to go hunting it sits in my closet with three rounds in the mag tube.
Truth be told, it spews terrible patterns with buck shot at 25 yards but it is dead nuts with slugs.
My hope is that the only thing it will ever have to fire upon is inanimate targets and deer.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
Well I live on base now so I'm not to concerned but when I lived off base and when I live off base again my home defense weapons are as follows:
Winchester 1300 Defender loaded with 7 rounds of Federal 2 3/4" #8 shot in the closet
Springfield XD 40 SC loaded with Winchester Rangers on the nightstand on wifes side
S&W 629 44 Mag loaded with CCI shotshells on my nightstand

I have kids in the other rooms and drywall won't stop bullets and buckshot very well so I prefer shotshells.  Have you ever seen what a 44 Mag shotshell does to a gallon milk jug filled with water at 10 feet?!! ;)  The 12 gauge speaks for itself. :)

I'm hoping to add a Springfield XD Tactical 45 with rail light and laser to the list also.

Ken

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2007, 02:31:34 AM »
yea i've seen snakes shot at 6-8 feet with good hits take a couple or three shots of 44 snake shot , not the effect needed to stop an attack !
# 8 shot ? i don't expect attack from quail , so i will stick with buck shot .
each will make his or her choice and that is good !
but please make a good one , in an attack in the home , ID the target , know shooting lanes before the attack walk your home inside and out , know where people sleep etc . the easy way to miss others is to choose a location to wait where you will be shooting angled up !
just a thought ! the idea of home defense is real it is also very nasty , your family is attacked with out help from any other source ya'll must defend and prevail ! what happens if you shoot the intruders with snake shot and they shoot you with say buckshot ? who would be left to defend your family after you and wife are gone ?
for me if i ever need to stop an attack i want a dependable solution , or as close as i can get ! another ignored outcome is the potential wounding of a family member to save the rest ? that will make ya think !
No home defense is not pretty like some seem to believe it is down and dirty bite , scratch , gore or what ever one needs to do to survive , keep in mind the attacker (s) chose to come in they expect a fight and often welcome it , they are pumped up at the start ! you wake up and have to go from sweet dreams to anger and fight in less time than a heart beat , that's stress in high gear add to that a load of # 8's getting stopped in the thick leather jacket and failing to stop the threat may bring on more stress than many can deal with !
I respect everyone right to choose but please choose wisely !
there is a site in the box or something where they shoot layers of Sheetrock if i remember correctly # 4 buck goes thru 6 sheets of 1/2 " rock the reduced power loads most likely less , add the wad holding the 8's together and the penetration might not be as drastic a difference as assumed since both leave the bbl at about 1200 fps.

Offline daddyof4

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2007, 04:45:46 AM »
best defense is a good offense... a picture of Hillary adorns my door. Any would be thief will be sickened at this sight and run away vomiting up his breakfast.....

If that doesn't work the wife has a 4" 586 w/ crimson trace grips and 38+ P's with 158 swc hp
 I have a Springfield Champion 4" with 185 silvertips and a 4" Redhawk with 44 specials in it
 I also have a large brood of Russian Wolf hounds in the yard

Offline glockman55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2007, 06:08:19 AM »
The same gun I carry daily, Glock 23 loaded with Speer GoldDot 155gr. GDHP, or Corbon 150gr JHP. Can't decide which I like better, Both shoot well in my Glock.
Glock 23  http://obamaclock.org/
Sig. Ultra Compact 1911
Sig. P-232
Sig. P-238

Offline usbone1

• GBO Supporter
  • Fight to fly. Fly to fight. Fight to win.
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2007, 06:53:02 AM »
I live in a 'nice' neighborhood yet our county has experienced some violent home invasions these past 3-4 years.

Reading these responses has caused me to re-think my family's (four adults) home defense plan.  I have installed motion detectors coupled with outdoor lights and have two large territorial dogs inside to complete our warning system...the dogs will also identify and confirm uninvited intrusion which will then be met with OO buck from an '870 and a double barrel.  Dogs are cheap.  While we also have .357 and .45 ACP hollow points available, I prefer the 12 gauge response for when I'm sleepy/scared.   Still trying to figure out how best to aim pistols accurately in the semi-dark. 

During the 2004 hurricane season we had nefarious groups 'of potential felons' driving through neighborhoods looking for opportunities to steal.  Some of us were forced to make a deal with neighbors "to provide a sense of security".  We never roamed around looking for trouble, just sat tight and watched our neighborhoods.  This was not New Orleans, but Daytona Beach!  Consequently we talked about neighborhood defense, and how to justify shooting in to a car full of trouble as it arrives--I don't think you can win that argument in court.  We decided carbine-type weapons (my Marlin in .357 for instance) were fine 100 yard neighborhood choices.  I'm no attorney but am confident we would be liable big time if we ever shot into a 'visiting car' or hit someone in the back as they entered another person's home, assuming they were uninvited.
USMC (Retired)
NRA Lifetime, Patron
Commercial SE/Multi-Engine (Land) with Instrument Airplane
Commercial Glider Aero Tow

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2007, 07:40:01 AM »
IF  you witness a crime and call the neighbor/ police ( if phones work ) its about as much as you can do unless you go to aid the other folks and are forced to defend yourself !
i like the dbl bbl one to lite up the nite and one to knock um down !

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2007, 07:42:50 AM »
I like the coach gun too.  Might have to look into that. Right now:

A large dog that sleeps on the bed that doesn't like anything unplanned or unannounced
Usually a Model 12 is out
22 for varmint issues unloaded
All ammo is locked up (have kids)
Did I mention the dog

These posts remind me of things. Just a short while ago the boob tube had a segment on the Zantop murders in NH from back ~ 2001.  I remember following the case in the papers. The report on TV was interesting in that they interviewed the gentleman that could've been a victim; turns out he was a 'trial run' for the attackers.  He was at his ski/weekend house with his son and heard a knock at the door late at night.  The teenager outside gave him some story about car trouble or something to get the man to open the door.  The gentleman's little voice inside him didn't buy it.  He didn't open the door but discreetly showed through the door window his semi handgun.  The teen left.  The man picked up the phone to call authorities only to discover the line was dead; the teens had cut the lines.

Fast forward a couple years.  My uncle's down in Florida in the off season in a neighborhood where lots of 'snowbirds' live; ie. homes are unoccupied for months.Knock at the door.  Some kid has a bottle of window cleaner says he's selling cleaning prods door to door.  No uniform, no business card.  No order forms. Nothin. My uncle's no dope and starts with the pointed questions.  The kid ran down the block to a waiting car.

Be safe.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2007, 07:56:43 AM »
makes a case for cell phones where they work !

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2007, 11:20:05 AM »
Shootall - in the houses I've lived since joining the military all of them have been small houses with neighbors just a few feet or a layer of drywall away.  In this scenario I prefer the birdshot and the shotsells for my 44.  I've never seen a leather jacket that could stop a load of 12ga #8s' at 10 feet and a shot to the face with the 44 shotshells will most certainly slow down any attacker if not stopping them completely.  I always know which direction my children and the neighbors are and will not shoot solid bullets in those directions and with the layout of my current house I would not shoot the shotgun in the direction of my kids rooms because theres only a thin wall of drywall protecting them.  Unfortunetly my bedroom door is in the same direction as the kids rooms and that door is where an attack would have to come from, so in order to protect my self, stop an attack and not risk shooting one of my kids I loaded the 44 with shotshells.  If that doesn't work and the perp gets past the door and into the room then I have my 40 loaded with 155gr. Rangers.  I have an evacuation plan, 2 cell phones, a home phone in every room, and lot's of firepower if needed, and as soon as we move back east I'll have my beloved Pitbull/ Australian Shepherd mix and he doesn't like unannounced guests very well. ;)  (I covered myself with a dark hooded sweatshirt and tried to sneak attack on my wife, just to see how he would react.  BIG MISTAKE for me!! :)

I advise everyone to learn their house, yard and neighborhood and always have a plan not only for perps, but also for fires, and natural disasters that could happen in your area.

Ken

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
Seven years ago we had a burglar.  It was 1:30 am and I woke up as he was coming down the hallway.  Most of you who have contributed to this thread have no idea the terror of having an intruder stand in your bedroom doorway, check on you and your wife, then check on your sleeping daughter in the next room.

He heard me get out of bed and ran out of the house.  I never made it to my .357 magnum.

So now I am going to share some thoughts about home protection.  First of all, crooks are like any other predator - they are looking for an opportunity.  Don't give it to them.  Our burglar walked right into the house as my wife had forgotten to put the garage door down.  I was tired that night and did not check the doors.  Both of us were careless.

And there is a lot to be said for good locks (use them!), security lighting, and trimming back landscaping.  I think it is very important to know your neighbors as well and to look out for each other.  How many people reading this know the names of their immediate neighbors?

Make a plan.  You and your family should have a plan for various emergencies such as fire, flood, tornado, and home invasion.

Keeping a firearm for home protection is just part of, and should be the last resort, of your overall strategy to avoid becoming a victim.

Shooting another human being is a huge matter.  I am fairly certain our burglar was a teenager who lived about two blocks down the street.  I'll never know for sure.  But I do know that it would have been very difficult to continue living in our home had I killed our neighbor's kid.  One really needs to consider such things, because once you pull that trigger, you can not call that bullet back or undo what will happen afterward.