Author Topic: Looking into a CVA Wolf  (Read 2338 times)

Offline The Chad

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking into a CVA Wolf
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »
Looking to purchase a muzzleloader for deer season. Not wanting to spend a fortune, but do want an accuate rifle. Trying to decide between a Handi or the CVA Wolf. Anyone have experience with the wolf. Is it accurate and dependable. Thanks...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Looking into a CVA Wolf
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »

Nope...I haven't...I just got into MZ's this year with my Optima Elite 50 cal...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:38:26 AM »
Looking to purchase a muzzleloader for deer season. Not wanting to spend a fortune, but do want an accuate rifle. Trying to decide between a Handi or the CVA Wolf. Anyone have experience with the wolf. Is it accurate and dependable. Thanks...

No experience here. I have been on other muzzleloader sites and read a lot of good things about them. I have a standard Optima with the 26" barrel I really like. I think the Wolf is about the same price.

Good luck with what ever you choose and have fun.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:52:27 AM »
It is my understanding that the Wolf and the hardly ever seen Beartooth are simply cheaper versions of the Optima. Different stocks, different sights, different metal finishes. Of course the more expensive the model the better the sights, stocks, etc. I've read countless posts all over the 'net that say the Wolf is a very good bare bones "cheap" ML that will get the job done with no frills. That said I've got no experience with the Wolf or the similar Beartooth. I own an Optima that I've got a love/hate relationship with. Love the fantastic accuracy, the simple action, the pointability, the way it feels while shooting. I've had issues with POI vs POA, although that issue looks to be solved now. CVA/BPI's customer service I fealt was topnotch in dealing with my problem. They sent out a new set (different) sights and I was able to retrofit them to my barrel. I just need to now figure out bullet/load combination is best for me. I must not 'hate' the rifle that badly becuase I'm looking at buying a ML shotgun barrel for it. ;D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:24:17 PM »

I ran across this last night...Thought you might want to read about them a little...http://www.gunsandhunting.com/CVAWolf.html

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline The Chad

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »
Well, broke down and ordered a Wolf from Cabela's. Came in yesterday and I am very impressed with it. The fit and feel of it are excellent. Curious if anyone know which bullets I should start with. Thinking of going with Powebelts, had good luck with them before.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:46:37 AM »
After doing some testing myself (and I'm still not done) I'd try the heavier Powerbelts like the Aerotip Copper Series 295gr, 348gr, or the Platinum Series Aerotip 300gr, or 338 gr. The heavier ones seem to shoot better out of my gun and others have commented that the heavier ones perform better on game. I'd also avoid the Powerbelt hollow points as the internet based research I've done seems to show that the HP's are possibly too fragile and destruct without giving good penetration. I'm also trying out some Barnes TMZ's. I THINK they are 290gr. They are not in front of me right now but I think they are 290gr. I only shoot loose powder, not pellets. I also limit myself to 90, 100, or 110 grs of Pyrodex or Goex. Anything walloped by a 300+ gr projectile propelled by 100ish grains of powder is not going far, no real need for "magnum" 150 gr loads in my opinion. Just what I've been doing, others may have good loads that work for them that you may want to try. Make sure you read your owners manual and follow it!

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »
I think the issue with the powerbelt falling a part is the fact they are not designed to be pushed real hard. If your looking at a mid range, say around 100 yards, 90g of loose powder will keep them around 1500 fps which is perfect for the powerbelt. Should you need a longer range, I don't think I would use them. The debate is generally with regards to expansion vs pass through. To each their own!

I too stay between 90 and 100g of 777 2F with my optima. Still wavering between the 300g xtp or the sst for deer this fall season. In either case, I dont't think the deer will have a preference.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »
High velocity. Yes I should of mentioned that! That also seems to be a factor with the Powerbelts self destructing in game.

Offline The Chad

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 02:14:08 PM »
So, you prefer loose 777 over anything else.

Thanks

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »
For deer, a 295 gr powerbelt over 80 grains of triple 7 or pyrodex rs should be perfect.

Im using a  225 gr powerbelt this year for my mule deer. I  want to give my .45 a try.

Just using this for an example, but my winchester x-150 shoots powerbelts the best when i use 120 grains loose pyrodex RS and either a 245 or 295 powerbelt. 1" groups @ 100 yards. Anything under the 120grains and they open up to a little over a 1 1/2"

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »
So, you prefer loose 777 over anything else.

Thanks

I prefer loose 777 2F because I will shoot anywhere from 90-100g pending upon the weather and its easy to adjust. In all honesty, using 2 777 pellets vs 90g of loose doesn't produce a measurable difference in my groups. There is about 10% difference in charge when comparing volumn weight.

Offline The Chad

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 04:46:02 PM »
Thanks guys, got some 245 and 295 gr. powerbelts tonight and some pyrodex, probably shoot at little at lunch tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for the input..

Chad

Offline The Chad

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 01:06:46 PM »
Well, mounted a 3x9 Leupold on it. Started shooting 100gr. 777 pellets with TC 200gr. Shockwaves. Shot a three shot group yesterday at lunch that measured 2.3", the last shot was a flyer. But, not bad to start with, I really feel that it can do better with this load, if I try not to rush my shots...
Chad

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »
The best accuracy you'll ever get, is from settling down and taking your time. I sometimes pull up, 5 or 6 times and breath and just let my eye adjust clearly so i can see my target. I find that my eye can see better when im shooting 150 yard targets " open sights" and so i sighted in my .45 sidelock for that distance.
What distance were you shooting? 50 or 100 yards?

Offline The Chad

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 03:03:18 PM »
Sorry, I was shooting at 100, should have mentioned that. You are definitely right about taking my time. I have a good bench and a good rest, but shooting during my lunch hour is kind of hard sometimes. My mind always seems to be elsewhere, and I am not concentrating enough on my shots..

Offline Marc5000

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 02:15:48 AM »
I have a .50 cal Beartooth, which is basically the same thing as the Wolf. IMHO it's a good little rifle for the price. Accuracy is better than I expected. I've had good results with Hornady sabots and 240gr XTP bullets over 80gr of Pyrodex RS. In my rifle accuracy goes south when powder charges approach 100gr.
What I don't like about the rifle is the trigger is too heavy.

Marc

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 04:24:26 PM »
I have also been looking at this rifle. A friend bought one and has not shot it much, but it looks promising. I currently have a 58 tc and want a 50 inline for many reasons.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 11:32:06 PM »
I had a Beartooth and it was a very shootable gun. My best luck was with 240 grain sabot loads and 100 grains Pyrodex RS. Sold it to a friend as I have an Encore and didn't really need it.
It shot just about as well as my Encore for a fraction of the price.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline mardrobe

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 05:37:54 AM »
My son just bought a CVA Wolf.  We took it to the range on Wednesday to sight it in and he managed a 1.5 inch 3 shot group at 50 yards with open sights.  Wish I had his eyesight.  He was using 295 grain Powerbelts with two 777 50 grain pellets.  We did have to clean the barrel between shots to seat the next bullet.