Author Topic: Disappointed in my new mortar  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Disappointed in my new mortar
« on: July 24, 2007, 09:59:32 AM »
Well, I finally got my golf ball mortar.  Maybe it is because I have been shooting a Winchester cannon for a while, but I thought that the mortar would be louder than it is.  I have been using .50 Oz of skirmish grade Shutzen black powder per load.  I used (don't' laugh) 2 slices of that cheap white bread that my mother used to make peanut butter an jelly sandwiches out of as wadding.  My mortar does not have a powder chamber.  I put in the black powder and then in go the 2 slices of bread and I tamp down the bread firmly.  If I use less than .50 Oz the bread will go past the vent hole and I can't get the fuse in.  If a put in a golf ball on top of this I get a decent bang otherwise lots of smoke and not alot of bang.  Any suggestions?

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
Re: Disappointed in my new mortar
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:25:42 PM »
Well Spuddy if its any consolation my golf ball mortar wouldn't scare a fly with a blank load, since then I increased my powder chamber size, but have yet to try it. Some people put about 5 tablespoons of flour wrapped in aluminum foil as a blank, since you don't have a powder chamber maybe it will work better for you. Matt Dixon has a pretty loud golf ball mortar but I don't know what he is using for a charge or even if he is using a projectile. Below is a link to his post, scroll down aways on that thread and you will find a link to his you tube video. You might try shooting him a P.M.  Good luck  Tracy  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,121860.0.html
Help the Police are after me !

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:17:44 PM »
A golf ball mortar is not the best choice for a noise maker.  The bore is short and wide and golf balls don't weigh very much (nor does bread.) 

What are the dimensions of your mortar?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
The dimensions are as follows.

Bore: 1.73" (Golf Ball)

Outside diameter: 3"

Overall Barrel length: 7"

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:27:56 PM »
What's the rear wall thickness?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »
Mortars are kinda like that.

What "F" # is Skirmish grade Shutzen?

Offline Insanemembrain

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 04:21:43 PM »
I have found that some powders do not do well in a Golf Ball mortar. I tried skirmish brand powder and the Golf ball was not even making it 20 yards, Just kinda a poof and  it barely will belch the ball out. For some reason it does not create the pressure to make a good boom  Get some Goex and try it again I promise you the difference will be night and day. I personally use a 35mm film canister of Goex and can get 200 yds easy.

Offline Insanemembrain

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
And for blanks I also use  damp newspaper the size of a golf ball and press it firmly in and the boom is VERY respectable!

Offline lance

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 04:35:32 PM »
goex is the way to go. plus i'm old fashioned, been using goex over thirty years. for a 200yd shot with a golf ball, i use 70 grains and it's plenty loud.............
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:38:43 PM »
I use FFFg in my golf ball mortars when shooting golf balls.  Coarser powder when shooting heavier shot.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Insanemembrain

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 04:41:37 PM »
I'm going to have to try cutting the load down  there might be alot of it going up in flash and smoke. I have fired them and you could hear the powder landing on on leaves on the ground. One thing about the GB mortars is the Golf Ball is so light compared to steel, zinc, lead ice and concrete.

Offline lance

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 04:48:39 PM »
I'm going to have to try cutting the load down  there might be alot of it going up in flash and smoke. I have fired them and you could hear the powder landing on on leaves on the ground. One thing about the GB mortars is the Golf Ball is so light compared to steel, zinc, lead ice and concrete.
just noticed you are a new member, welcome to the board, glad to have ya. i'm a tight wad when it comes to powder, i measure every load, main reason so i know the distance i'm aiming at. i like to land on target.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »
I get plenty of boom with  24 grs. of Cannon grade.

http://www.fototime.com/34A6B4F61DB2108/conv.wmv

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 01:15:17 AM »
That was pretty respectable D.D. was that with a golf ball as a projectile? What was that second report it scared me. :-)   Tracy

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 01:31:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I was told that Shutzen skirmish grade is a mix of ffff down to cannon grade.  The powder is very inconsistent in size.  It does produce alot of smoke.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 06:27:47 AM »
That was pretty respectable D.D. was that with a golf ball as a projectile? What was that second report it scared me. :-)   Tracy

Yes those Tiger Woods golf balls are powerfull.   ;D

It's a golf ball  mortar its not suppose to make a lot of noise.  It is a waste powder if you can't see the ball leave the tube and follow it all the way down range.  100 yards should be about as far is you should shoot.  You should be able to keep your shoots in a 10 foot circle at that range, can you?

Shooting as far as you can is a waste of powder and a tad bit hazardous.  Wanna scare your self?  Shoot one off so you can't see the ball leave the barrel, you can't see it go down range and you can't find it afterwards...where did it go? Are you sure!!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »
Shooting as far as you can is a waste of powder and a tad bit hazardous.  Wanna scare your self?  Shoot one off so you can't see the ball leave the barrel, you can't see it go down range and you can't find it afterwards...where did it go? Are you sure!!!

Did it clear the mountain behind the back-stop?  Is there anything/anyone back there on the other side?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »
Tim, what ever you do, don't tell Double D that me and Dan were dropping golf balls on the 200yd target at the New River Valley mortar and cannon shoot. well i did have to cut the fffg charge down to 68 grains, to land at the cardboard silhouette. Mike and Tracy of seacoastartillery can witness for me.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »
Your secret is safe with me.

If we'd put in a cup, with that accuracy it would have made a good par 2 link.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 02:42:01 PM »
I think I have gotten the hang of shooting my mortar.  I am no longer disappointed.  I wasn't packing down the wadding hard enough.  It also shoots a golf ball an amazing distance.  Thank you to John from Missouri Cannon Works for his advice.

Offline lance

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 02:57:31 PM »
GOOD DEAL SPUDDY, no one should be disappointed when shooting a mortar......... sounds like you've been having a good time with it.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »
It also shoots a golf ball an amazing distance.
They sure can. I've tried white, yellow and orange golf balls and I still lose sight of them.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.