Author Topic: GB Coehorn project  (Read 6253 times)

Offline m223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: GB Coehorn project
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2007, 06:27:27 AM »
Terry, If D.D. hadn't said anything I wouldn't have even noticed the scale issue, I personally would go for stability over precise scale accuracy. Not to take away from those who sweat every detail, they really do earn all their worry wrinkles. If I had my own shop and plenty of time my creations would most likely be more historically  accurate too. Don't let us sap the fun from your build, weigh the advice given and do what you will, I'm sure it will be just fine.   Tracy 

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »
I'd hoped to have smoke & fire pics this weekend, but the weather hasn't cooperated.

I did get my temp base cobbled together. It ain't pretty, made from a spruce 2x6, but it'll get me shooting while I build my sled. And it has the same basic footprint as the sled, so I can see how the mortar behaves

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »

NOT TOO SHABBY!

It looks good enough it might be around for some time!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 03:16:39 PM »
that's a keeper, every mortar maker should have a proof testing bed.........
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »
sweet !!!!!!!! Love it ... what are your plans for trunnion strap?

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »
For this, just a couple of pieces of 1/8" thick steel flat bar. The top of the trunnion is flush with the top of the cheek so no bending is necessary. I'll make those at work tomorrow.

If the opportunity had presented itself, I would have fired it today without the straps. I don't think it would have come out of the base.

For the oak sled, I have some stainless steel flat bar that I've been saving. It'll have to be formed but I still have the die that I made to bend the brass straps for the Napoleon. It'll only need a slight modification to account for the different trunnion diameter.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 12:43:25 AM »
 Man that's your test bed? Show Off, I like it. Great job! Got rain here this weekend, so no smoke and fire here either.  Tracy

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 01:54:59 PM »
It turned out nice but I don't know how durable it'll be. The spruce is pretty soft.

I couldn't find the steel strip that I was going to use, but I did have a piece of 3/16" x 1" aluminum flat bar long enough to make the trunnion straps. I countersunk the holes and secured them with some ¼" x 1½" stainless steel oval head screws from my parts bin:

While I was at it, I also formed the stainless steel flat (.102") that will make the trunnion caps for the sled. I made them the full width of the stock, about 1¾", so I can cut them to whatever width I decide upon.

Offline lance

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 03:12:58 PM »
your ready to fire now........i've made test beds out of spruce,it's soft but fairly strong. just shooting golfballs spruce is fine.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 01:12:47 AM »
Did you use a hydraulic press to form the stainless trunnion caps? They sure turned out clean and uniform, a real professional job Terry. I think you would have to push your little mortar pretty hard to wreck your sled. I really like your project Terry, Keep us posted. Thanks Tracy

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2007, 04:50:47 PM »
The question was asked how to reduce movement in elevation.  The answer given was to make the scale of the barrel equal to the  scale of the base and reduce the gap between barrel and base and that will reduce elevational movement.   The base should not be unstable.  It wasn't unstable for the original. Nothing was said about "correct detail". 

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 12:04:51 PM »
D.D. I stand corrected. I guess I should of payed better attention to the post, By the way I appreciated the pictures you posted, especially the mortar firing. No hard feelings.  Tracy   

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 01:06:07 PM »
The question was asked how to reduce movement in elevation.  The answer given was to make the scale of the barrel equal to the  scale of the base and reduce the gap between barrel and base and that will reduce elevational movement.   The base should not be unstable.  It wasn't unstable for the original. Nothing was said about "correct detail".

Point taken, DD. Unfortunately, due to the way my mortar was constructed, reducing the scale on this sled does nothing to help the issue of barrel elevation. Only a radical redesign is going to make this sled do that.

As I said before, I scaled the sled to the barrel using the lengths of the mortars. I had originally used the diameter, but to me the sled seemed undersized, looking like it was about to tip forward. It may not 'be' unstable, but it 'looks' unstable:

To me (and it's purely subjective) this version scaled using mortar length just looks more balanced. Also given that the originals were proportionately wider than this one will be and were iron not wood, they probably were more stable:

Nothing is certain until the sawdust hits the floor, and the design is subject to change at any moment.

But at this point I'm leaning toward building this one just as it is, and then making a bed that conforms to all AAA requirements to use if (and that's a big if) I ever do decide to participate in an organized shoot.

Oh and for the record, if I hadn't wanted opinions I wouldn't have asked for them.  ;D

Offline lance

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 01:15:56 PM »
here's another opinion, i still like the way it's all coming together, can't wait to see it finished.

Offline Double D

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 05:57:37 PM »
Welll that is an advantage of CAD  you can get some good visuals.  Obviously when scaled  together you can see that the proportions of the Coehorn  to the 1844 are not equal.

I still think you can control Elevation with the cross bar. It all depends on the cross section of your trunnion bar.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »
DD, I have something I'm working on that might do the trick.

Or I should say: "I would like to be working on..."

Weather has kept me inside every afternoon and I have yet to cut a single piece of oak.

I did get the stainless steel trunnion caps cut down to near their finished size. They still need some work, they need to be squared up on the sides and ends, drilled and polished. But now that I have them finished to this point I can fit the trunnion into the wood to the correct depth.

If I ever get any wood cut...  ::)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2007, 01:11:40 PM »
I dont know if i like the CAD design or the test design better?  I think there both good  and if you had 1 more mortar...., problem solved  ;D Seriously I enjoy 2 of the same caliber its fun with friends  and easy to keep the same loads., Both would be sharp.
P.S. Terry the Stainless Trunnions look delicious 

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2007, 03:30:50 PM »
You don't know how relieved I am that the trunnion caps came out okay. That particular piece of stainless steel was literally irreplaceable.

It was one of several small pieces of stainless given to me years ago by my father, when he was taking TIG welding classes. Over the years I've accumulated a lot of stainless and aluminum scraps that he had left over from various projects.

He died in March of last year.

Since then, I try to incorporate something of his into my own projects whenever possible.

There were only two pieces of this thickness, all of the rest are thinner. The other piece was used on my motorcycle, this was the only one left suitable for this purpose.

Offline lance

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2007, 03:46:15 PM »
Terry C, sorry to hear about your dad. that's a good thing you are doing, about incorporating stuff he left you.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 01:41:16 PM »
I could not of said it better Lance, Good job Terry!

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »
I've been making really slow progress. Too much going on right now and the weather hasn't been cooperating with my schedule. Bad enough I've been dragging on on my own project, but I also agreed to help someone else and then totally dropped the ball. Sorry!

Anyway, the rough shaping is done and the parts have been drilled for the cross bots (made from 3/8" stainless steel threaded rods and acorn nuts). Still needs a lot of sanding and tweaking, the caps need to be drilled and the anchor bolts installed, the elevator constructed, and there's an additional wood piece that needs to be installed. It will have to be fitted last, so for now the rod has been installed with jam nuts inside.

It's downhill from here, the hardest work has been done. Hopefully I will be done in plenty of time to shoot the "Walk The Walk" match with this sled, but I can shoot from the test bed if necessary.

A friend is hosting a bike rally the week before and the field cannon is already committed to the event, the mortar will go too if the oak sled is ready.

Offline lance

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »
i like it, like it alot in fact.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »
Wow Terry, That is shaping up real nice! I don't Know if I'll make the dead line either, but I'm going to try. Have you decided on the finish yet?  Tracy

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 04:13:12 PM »
YEEAA !!!  thats a good looking sled     

Since then, I try to incorporate something of his into my own projects whenever possible.

Yes I must concur with Lance. That is very cool actually. A most honorable thing and goes well with the life of a cannon / mortar ! 
Your Mortar is going to look AWESOME finished I just know it..., I will be stealing (pirating) a copy of the finished image for my archive 

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
Sweet!! bravo nice job... nice I know what Ive been missing, one of these for my collection... HhhMmmm?

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2007, 08:20:50 AM »
Getting closer...

I managed to do a little catching up over the past two afternoons. Getting a very close to prep and finish. This sled is destined to be furniture (sorry, paint guys).

As a concession, I may paint the test bed green. ;D

Photos did not come out that great, too much artificial light, but it was late.

Here's a closeup of the elevator.

The brass flange was made from a piece cut from an old (irreparable) oxygen regulator. It still needs to be secured. I plan to fasten it with machine screws from underneath. The bottom of the flange has a 1" diameter pilot that sits in a counter-bore, so it's thick enough there to drill and tap.

The screw is a piece of ½" stainless steel threaded rod, capped with a brass acorn nut. This stuff is leftovers from the field carriage. I'll probably make a fancy knob to replace the nut, but that will have to wait.

Offline lance

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2007, 09:18:04 AM »
I really like it Terry C., I don't blame you for not wanting to paint the sled, That is a piece of furniture! ;D

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2007, 03:30:26 PM »
Paint or no paint that is one sweet Coehorn. Great Job

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 01:27:50 PM »
The brass flange was made from a piece cut from an old (irreparable) oxygen regulator. It still needs to be secured. I plan to fasten it with machine screws from underneath. The bottom of the flange has a 1" diameter pilot that sits in a counter-bore, so it's thick enough there to drill and tap.

I wanted to get this part done before I did any finish prep, since there were more holes to drill. I drilled and tapped the bottom of the flange for two #10-24 stainless steel screws, then drilled matching holes in a ½" brass washer.

The screws are #10-24 x 1¼" SS socket-head, with SS lock washers. I used socket-head screws because the heads are so close to the ½" threaded rod. A screw with a larger diameter head probably wouldn't clear.

Holes for these screws were drilled in the wood, running parallel to the hole for the elevator. The flange sits in a counterbore that holds it securely in position so there is no side-stress on the screws.

It turned out to be more complicated than I intended, but it's unique!

For now, the brass acorn nut is the 'grip' for the SS elevator screw. The screw turns easily, maybe a little too easily but I can tighten it up with rubber o-ring if necessary.

I plan to eventually replace the acorn nut with this brass knob from an old cutting torch. It'll need a little modification to fit onto the ½" threaded rod, and a really good cleaning, but I think it will make a fine grip when it's done.

It measures 1.215" from tip to tip.

That will have to wait, priority now is to get some protective finish on the wood, so it can cure while I practice for my "walk the walk" entry. I wanted to shoot the actual match from this sled if at all possible (there will probably be spectators), and time is running out.

Offline Double D

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »
I know you all expect me to jump in here and say paint the carriage.  The only thing that needs painted on this is the metal work. 

This oak begs to be oiled.  A Watco Danish oil in natural.