Author Topic: Rifile barreled shotguns?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline captdp

• Trade Count: (2)
Rifile barreled shotguns?
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:28:01 PM »
What size groups at 100yds are generaly expected with the single shots using a scope? I'm considering a 20, but maybe a 12. thanks, capt david

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Rifile barreled shotguns?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:19:22 PM »
A scoped Ultra Slug Hunter should patten within a couple inches.
I haven't had a need to sight mine in at 100 yds but at 50 it shoots one ragged hole.

The key is finding what ammo it likes best.  This goes for all slug guns not just the USH.
Hopefully you'll find the one of its liking early on cuz it can get expensive at $3 a round.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:59:15 AM »
My 20ga ush has a ragged hole at 50yds 2-3inch at 100yds using lightfield hybred exp's at 50yds and remington copper solids at 100yds

that being said as mention many times before you have to experiment with many slugs to see which your gun prefers.GL

Offline fliowa

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »
I use winchester partition gold 20 gauge slugs in my ultra slug hunter. Two inch groups at a hundred. Sighted in at 1 inch high at a hundred which puts it about 7 inches low at 150 yards. They are a little pricey but in the end they are worth it.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 06:45:14 PM »
I own 2 Mossberg combos. 1 in 12ga and 1 in 20ga. Both have the rifled slug bbls and I mounted a 1x4 scope on both. I consistently get 2 inch groups or better at 100 yards off the bench with both guns. Never imagined this good an accuracy out of these guns. Always thought they could be a good 50 yard deer gun. But with this accuracy, 150 yards is doable esspecially with the killing power of the new slugs.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:22:18 AM »
I have both 12 & 20 USH's. the 12 is by far the most accurate slug gun I have ever fired. thats why I bought the twenty. I havent fired the twenty yet.

My 12 likes the Rem ammo. Copper solids shoot in one cloverleaf hole at 100 as do the Ultra Lokt's. they just print about two  inchs higher. Past two years I have switched to the Buckhammers. they are not as accurate. Still cloverleaf or very close to it but these buch hammers, absolutely HAMMER deer out to 100 yrds. Now I carry a couple Ultras and load the gun with Hammers. If something really good steps out in a field at say 200....I just load the ltras and drop him where he stands. Otherwise I just use tyhe hammers. I really love this gun!!

CW

Here is one of the last groups I shot with mine useing the Buck Hammers. You have to look close at the bottom hole to see its everso slightly "egg" shapped:

In this one you can see the differences between the Hammers and the Ultras. (its the same pic, with a larger view)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
  I took my "New to Me" USH 20 ga to the range today for a try out. The former owner said it liked  the Hornady SSTs and gave me two boxes with the gun. I found a good price on more at midsouth and bought four more boxes.

It was very hot this morning and got even hotter. I got it on paper at 50 yards and was able to get three holes to touch if I did my part. I moved the target out to 100 and after a little tweaking I shot several 2-3" groups. The gun might even have done better but with my old eyes and a 4X scope, that bullseye looked very small.

I will be taking it to Southern Ohio to hunt my brother's farm in December and plan on shooting it some more before then.

I used a 12ga Remington 870 last year and this 20ga feels much nicer to my shoulder and I believe it will do all I need it to on a deer.

Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »

I used a 12ga Remington 870 last year and this 20ga feels much nicer to my shoulder and I believe it will do all I need it to on a deer.

YES it will!! Especially with the new performance slugs that are out these days!!!  Good Luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 08:28:48 PM »
All this sounds real good.

Has anyone shot them over a chronograph yet?
I'd like to hear some velocities and what shells they come from.

About ten yrs ago I fired some 12's from my 1100 and got 21-2300fps.
Which don't even sound right for a shotgun slug to me. Id' expect closer
to 1500 than 2000.

The shellls that did that came from sportsman's guide.  Don't recall what they were now,
too long ago. Never used it and only shot those few in testing.,

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 06:41:41 AM »
georgeld, I shot some 20 ga. Winchester Part. Gold thru my chrony and recorded 1857fps average. This was with a 20 ga Tracker II.
I would advise not to shoot sabot rounds thru a chronograph. I ruined my first chrony when a sabot separating from the slug hit the LED screen. My new one will not be used for shotgun sabots. As for those slugs and velocity, there are what the are and I'll take the factory recorded speeds and compare from there.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 01:49:29 PM »
georgeld, I shot some 20 ga. Winchester Part. Gold thru my chrony and recorded 1857fps average. This was with a 20 ga Tracker II.
I would advise not to shoot sabot rounds thru a chronograph. I ruined my first chrony when a sabot separating from the slug hit the LED screen. My new one will not be used for shotgun sabots. As for those slugs and velocity, there are what the are and I'll take the factory recorded speeds and compare from there.

Good call!! I was thinking this as I read you post!!

One thing a friend tried to avoid this...moving the screens closer to the muzzle....the "blast" will not allow for accurate readings if you get any at all!!

Now a days, with the prices dropping on chronys, ammo  manufactures have had to stop the "exaggerations" on bullet velocities. I haven't chronographed many fact loadings, but the rim-fire stuff that I have tested was dame near advertised quotes. As a matter of fact...some of my findings exceed the factory advertised velocities!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member