Author Topic: Junk from Uberti  (Read 1570 times)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
Junk from Uberti
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »

FedEx brought my Uberti 1851 Navy this morning. I got some .375 ball and set out to do some shooting! I am so disgusted I don’t know what to do! The Dam thing won’t bust a cap! Brand new out of the box and it won’t bust a cap. A peace of junk as for as I am concerned.
  If anyone is thinking of buying one I would suggest that you not buy an Uberti!!! It seams to me that the hammer spring is just to weak. They had to know about this defect as they must proof the gun over there. That tells me they just don’t give a dam! Man am I pissed!

Old Charlie

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Junk from Uberti
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:40:51 PM »
I have somewhat over a dozen Uberti 51s, 60s and 61s, also 6 Remingtons and have yet to have one fail out of the box. They range from 30 years old to only a few.   I shot two 1860 Armies at a CAS match last month that had never been fired before, they never missed a beat.  (I do replace the nipples with Treso, however}.

Uberti has lightened the mainsprings some in the last few years, but if you use Remington #10 caps, and they are fully seated, they should not fail to fire.

Make sure nothing is holding the hammer back from a full stroke, make sure the wedge is driven in to where the hook of the spring is just at the edge of the slot on the right side, no tighter, no looser.  Make sure the mainspring screw is tight, and there is no drag on the hammer fall.  Often an Italian gun needs the bolt wing beveled to reset over the hammers cam smoothly.  The lack of that can cause drag and slow the hammer fall.  See a book on tuning Colt Single Actions.

Let us know how it goes.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 03:21:59 AM »
Odd, the only time I ever had a cap and ball fail to "bust a cap" was when I tried CVA perc caps.  Darn things were made out of heavy brass and took two or three hammer falls to go off.    It is unusual for Uberti, to say the least.  I have gotten bad caps in the past.  Had an entire tin that wasn't worth spit.  Don't know if they got damp, never got the fulminate or what the problem was.

Sorry to hear of your problem.  Don't mean to be condescending in any way, but you cleaned the packing grease and preservative grease out of the action, right?    (I once tried to start my lawn tractor after working on it, it would been a lot less perplexing if I had reconnected the ignition wires when I put it back together.  Only took 15 minutes to figure that out. )  Did you make sure the nipples holes were clear.  if clogged they might create enough air pressure to keep the cap from impacting against the nipple rim. 

Last year I got an Uberti 1862 Police.  It went off, but blew the caps back which immediately fell into the crevice where the hammer is attached to the action and just jammed the works, like a monkey wrench.  Switching to No 10 caps helped but didn't entirely correct the problem.  I switched nipples and life was sweet again.  Maybe some other No 11's would have worked fine.  I have about 9,000 RWS No 11's to use up.   

Offline subgunner

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:28:31 AM »
Got a Uberti Walker from Midway. It came with a broken handspring. Sent it back and got the same one back from them. So I ask from a refund. They are big and heavy.  I have had good luck with Pietta. Just my 2 cents.

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »
I have a walker by Uberti and it shoots great. But I have been hearing that Uberti has a problem with a batch of 1851 Navys. I guess I got  one of them.
                                        Old Charlie

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:20:42 PM »
Like Flint said..the cap must be "fully seated".  Wet/dry sand paper, sand the nipples till you can slip the cap on and seat with a little pressure.

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 03:37:54 AM »
Well I took the Navy apart and put a wedge behind the main spring as I thought it was to weak. It worked! She is now firing every time!  That is when I use # 11 caps. Number 10s just don’t go all the way down on the nipple. So maybe when I get the new spring that I ordered I will have a permanent fix.
   I love shooting this gun. It just feels better in my hand than any of my other pistols. So thanks for the help and encouragement.
                                     beerbelly

Offline Full House

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 12:50:25 PM »

Beerbelly, were you using #10 CCIs or #10 Remington caps?  The #10 CCIs are smaller than Remingtons and are difficult to seat on an Uberti nipple.

Try the Remington #10s and also .380 round balls perform better in Ubertis.

Some may disagree.
Full House

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 06:20:39 AM »
The # 10 caps were CCI as were the #11s.  CCI is all I have. They are abour all I can find around here.
                    Old Charlie

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 04:38:41 AM »
Well I got my hammer spring from Dixie and installed it. The 51 Navy is shooting great! I still don't think you should have to work on a new gun to get it to fire.
                                                Beerbelly