Author Topic: BigBore:Power,consistency AND Accuracy(believe it)  (Read 1096 times)

Offline BUTCHER45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
BigBore:Power,consistency AND Accuracy(believe it)
« on: July 27, 2007, 11:39:33 PM »
OOOOOHHH this 909 shoots better than I could have hoped. It was as easy to group as my .22 and probably better. Hard to tell do to the size of them holes!
Shot several loads at 25 meters with great accuracy today through the Sam Yang 909 modified by Leroy Roduner
This big-bore seems to prefer the .452-.454 type stuff which surprises me as I thought the 175 grain .456 (I think?) was going to be my winner but the BBC 180 grain Round Nose Pistol Bullets were a good 20fps faster.
My best FPE came from the 205 grain Venoms from Black Widow Bullet Company. A very accurate load though I was not to focused for that group unfortunately. The bullets definitely went where I put them though; that is certain. It was also the only load I lubed (heavier than the others) right before firing as the others were done earlier using the same lube (Bore Butter Yellow tube).
My best accuracy (and real good power, too) came from a design from a batch of about 200 bullets of six different designs sent to me by a generous old-school bullet caster from a great bullet-casting forum; LeftoverDJ is his handle.
He included a design that he felt would most likely be my winner for hunting anything under 250 pounds with a proper lung shot. Lyman 452389. An excellent (air)bullet design that is no longer made but can still be found on E-bay if you look around. If you have a built 909 with the same bore diameter as mine (whatever that is) and like to cast a real nice all-around bullet for it than this is the mold to try.
Here are some Chrony stats of various bullets along with a couple of groups of the better-shooting loads of the day. All fills 3000psi.
Chronograph 10 that's 10 feet from the muzzle (for all you cheaters sticking your big-bore muzzles right up to the chrony to get another 50 fps haha).
Unfortunately I made some errors with the chrony, usually right on the shot where the most power is recorded (the second). Sometimes it's hard to line up a standing rest, target, and chrony in the woods using stumps!

Hornady .454 Roundball (I think that this roundball was at times loose and want to try the Hornady .457 Roundball)
617 (first shot of the day through rifle, should have done over)

175 grain Pyramid.456(?) HPHB
error
180 grainBuffalo Bullet Company .44 .451 diameter Round Nose Pistol Bullets (this is the most accurate, nicest-loading and most readily available production load I have found to date).
error(dadd-gummit!)
200grain BBC .45 caliber Ball-et's (actually .46) I was thinking that this 909 may be .456 and was told that airguns liked a few thousandths over so I gave them a shot. The groups were barely groups. Maybe it was me at the time but I don't think so. Will verify tomorrow. Maybe.
228 grain Cast BP pistol bullets (RPFB) .454
T/C 220 grain Maxi Balls (ragged-hole accurate) .455 top ring, .450mid/bottomrings first ring seated manually into rifling upon loading as designed
Cast 230 grain Maxi-Balls (even more ragged-hole accurate!) cast versions of Maxi-Ball may have a variance in weight and also diameters if not sized these are 10 grains bigger than production, first ring manually seated into rifling upon loading as designed. Glad I got 100+ of these and 100+ from a different mold same design.
LeftoverDJ Cast Lyman#452389 200grain (most accurate? Only a 3 shot group when most others are 4. Have to see tomorrow.
Black Widow Bullet Company 205 grainers Hollow (yea, just hollow pretty much) top ring I think is .456 can't remember the other rings I'll ask tomorrow. Ragged-hole accuracy. Lost focus on third shot or I'd show a nice group for this one. To spendy to try again today. Wait for a reactive target!
LeftoverDJ Cast Lyman#454190 265 grains approx. .456 pretty happy with the accuracy and it still has relatively the same energy as the smaller bullets in a bigger package. FPS spread opens up here. Due to weight or excessive diameter? Dang errors.
error

Click the image for a slideshow

I have to be honest I am not this good of a shot, its the trigger! Leroy tuned this trigger PERFECT I mean PERFECT I am so pleased with how it breaks. Quality cast bullets made from almost pure lead (X-Ray shielding)
sure don't hurt, either. I have 4 more designs from LeftoverDJ to test. Tomorrow!
I will have more in-depth analysis of these and other loads tomorrow night if all goes right at the farm. Hoping to get some 50 and 100 meter groups worth showing off. Hopefully a gopher pic or two. Or nutria. Who knows what could pop up it's right on the river.
This should put the theory to the test that you need to put a burly telescope on your rig to shoot groups at 50 and 100 meters as I got a cheap KonusPro4X32mm fixed scope on my 909 and I'm loving it so far. It's actually a pretty decent scope. Shocked
Overall I must say this 909 rocks the house. Out of all the bullets I tested most all were very usable with really good accuracy.
Want to talk consistency? 5-15 fps spread in the first four shots on most all loads with a couple having a spread barely worth mentioning. 4 loads of four different weights and designs all measured a maximum 243fpe on the nose. Maximum FPE was 250+ with the Venoms with all the mid-to upper middle weights producing 243fpe+ with the ill-documented roundball and the 265 grain LeftoverDJ Cast both exceeding 230fpe.  I'm pretty sure the Ball-Ets are just to large for my .452-.454(?) barrel even though they load well. Must be the lube BBC uses.
Overall I must say my 909 rocks the house. I am certain that with further experimentation with fill pressures and a few more bullet designs I have to test I will break 270fpe no problem.
Thanks Leroy!!

Chris Butcher

click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: BigBore:Power,consistency AND Accuracy(believe it)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:03:55 PM »
Very cool!   8)

...Chris
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline BUTCHER45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: BigBore:Power,consistency AND Accuracy(believe it)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »
     As far as the noise it's pretty loud for an airgun; definitely not something you could shoot in town even if it wasn't unsafe to do so.  Out in the woods you can hear the bullets bouncing off trees a whole lot after they go through the target.  You have to treat it like you are firing a .45 ACP because that is pretty close to the power it makes.

BUTCHER
click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow