Author Topic: 20 ga tracker II barrel  (Read 1060 times)

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
20 ga tracker II barrel
« on: July 28, 2007, 09:53:23 AM »
I'm thinking of sending out my ultra rifle action to get a 20 ga tracker II.  I was looking at the 20 ga ush, but the heavy barrel would seem cumbersome. Plus I just bought a thumbhole stock that seems to have low comb better suited for open sights.  I have seen mixed reports on the performance of the tracker II.  The most recent post said it shot rifled slugs better than sabot( which confuses me, seens how I would never shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel, better off with a ImpCyl smoothbore.)  So here are my questions:

1. Are the tracker II barrels accurate with any sabot slugs?(anyone shooting Buckhammers?, they work great in my 12 ga Benelli Nova) 
2. how is the recoil of the tracker II compared to the ush? (granted it is a 20 ga, but I would not like it if it kicked as hard as my Benelli)
3. What would you pick: Tracker II w/ thumbhole stock or ush with ultra rifle stock?

My focus is a gun that kicks and weighs less than my 12 ga. I would like to use the thumbhole stock(paid $85 for it), but not at the cost of heavy recoil and poor accuracy.  Cost is always a factor too, if I go with the ush it would cost me about a $140 extra($40 extra for barrel and $100 for a scope). All responses appreciated. 
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: 20 ga tracker II barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 06:21:29 PM »
I just handled on of the new 20ga Ultra Slug Hunters w/thumb hole stock at WGS. I also have a 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter and with the weight removed from the stock I don't find it that much of a chore to carry. I purchased a 20ga Tracker II barrel from the classifieds last year that I planned to set up for hunting the thick stuff (corn), but have yet to shoot it. I think I would be better served with one of the Tracker I smooth bores, as with these narrow corn rows today most of my shooting would be under 25 yards.

I purchased two of the thumb hole stocks and the forest camo one is just like the one on the Ultra Slug Hunter, Pachmayr Decelerator pad and all. The only difference is mine is a blem, has a void in the laminate. The t-hole comb is low enough for sights, you are right about that.

As far as what 20ga barrel would suit you best, it would have to come down to what type of huntng you will be doing with it. If you will be hunting mostly from a stand, you will want the Ultra. If you are a still hunter, you may like the Tracker II better.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 09:09:44 PM »
Busta, I hunt 80% from a stand. The rest of the time I stalk around soybean and corn fields along drainage ditches on my property in MI.  I currently hunt with a scoped 12 ga Benelli Nova.  Shots from the stand are around 50 yards with the occasional 100-125 yard shot across a field. What I'm looking for is a backup for the Benelli and a light gun to stalk with.  I figured I would try the 20 ga Tracker II this year and if I wanted I could get it drilled and tapped for a scope.  My only concern is the accuracy and recoil of the tracker II.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
300 win man, I have scoped 6 of the Tracker II's for my own use and those of relatives. They all shoot well with sabot slug rounds of various types. Currently we are using mainly the Partition Golds in both 2 3/4 and 3 inch along with Remington Premier Ultra CorLokt's
99% of my hunting is from a stand and I like the lightweight of the Tracker II over the USH which I no longer own. (Traded it for a Tracker II)

I have had these D&T and then mounted a NEF scope rail and a good high ring and then have used 1-3x20mm Weavers or Leupold in 1-4x20 or 1.5-5x20mm scopes. I have the synthetic stocks on mine for decreased weight and to be able to hunt in rain, sleet or snow without worry of wear and tear.

As for accuracy these rifled barrels shoot as well as my USH did with less weight and better (in my opinion) handling characteristics. Recoil is very manageable, less than my 12 ga. USH and even ok from the bench. Never used buckhammers but hammered many buck with the above mentioned sabot slugs.

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »
Thanks for the info carbineman.  I'm leaning towards the tracker II.  What is the going price for getting a gun drilled and tapped? 

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:09:20 AM »
My smith in Green Bay Wi. charged me $20 and mounted the rail as well. I did have one come loose and he drilled it larger and went to an oversize screw, maybe a #8 if I recall. Good Luck with your choice.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 03:18:16 AM »
I'm curious were you saw mixed reports on the performance of the trackerII ? That only complaint I can remember was that it doesn't come d&Td for optics.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 04:35:03 AM »
Has anyone ever done up a youth USH with open sights?  I was thinking of this because you could mount a Peeper in the sight base location.  Is the barrel thick enough at the muzzle to have a dovetail cut in or would it be better to just DnT for a front sight base?  Noone up here seems to want to do a DnT on the 12ga or 20ga.  Is the chamber on the Tracker II's thicker than on the choked barrels?  Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Hog Leg

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 03:16:17 AM »
Where did you find your thumbhole stock for your Ultra Slug Hunter. I need some help. :)