Author Topic: 20 Ga USH Stock Question  (Read 719 times)

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
20 Ga USH Stock Question
« on: July 29, 2007, 02:11:06 PM »
I want to replace a Youth Wood butt stock with a standard size on a 20 Ga slug gun. I have learned (recently) that Handi-Rifles and 12Ga are a SB2 Frame and the 20 is a SB1. What does that mean as far as stock interchangability?

I read here that all stocks fit everything but I was not sure if that applied between the frame sizes.

I went to Brownell's and they showed the Monte Carlo Walnut wood stock for $24 and I ordered it, so I thought I was in business but on the emailed order form it shows "Walnut, Black", so I am not sure what I will end up with. I did see a black wood stock set on the big auction site so I guess some model of H&Rs must have black wood now.

My order is due in on the 1st of August so I am anxious to see if I have the right stock. If not, the hunt goes on but I do need to know about the "what fits what" earlier question.

Thanks for helping out an old guy but new to H&R world.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 20 Ga USH Stock Question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
All butt stocks fit all frames since all frames have the same dimensions, the only 12ga that has an SB2 frame is the  12ga slug gun which uses a 10ga frame because of the 1.2" diameter barrel, and that's in name only, they aren't the same as a rifle SB2 frame. But all butt stocks can be swapped tween rifle, both centerfire and rimfire, and shotgun, comb height will be an issue with a monte carlo stock on a shotgun tho. The forends are all the same except the 10ga and 12ga slug guns which are bigger. You can see what stocks are available from H&R in the centerfire FAQs and Help sticky under 2007 Retail Parts Price list. ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 02:30:25 PM »
Thanks, I knew I was wrong about the SB1 and SB2 right after I wrote it but you cleared up the stock issue for me. I think I can do something now.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline kodiakemt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »
the only 12ga that has an SB2 frame is the  12ga slug gun which uses a 10ga frame because of the 1.2" diameter barrel, and that's in name only, they aren't the same as a rifle SB2 frame.

Does that mean if you bought the 12ga USH you could NOT put rifle barrels on it?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:58:39 AM »
That would be correct. :'( Rifle barrels won't fit the 12ga USH frame, the frame is made for the bigger slug gun and 10ga barrels. Not only are rifle barrels loose in the larger frame, but the firing pin and hole in the frame are too big for rilfe pressures, see the FAQs for what can happen using a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame, not something you want to try. :o

Tim

Offline kodiakemt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 10:46:38 AM »
Ok this may be a stupid question but could you put the 20ga on a rifle frame? Seeing as it is smaller, or my I just going to have to buy to guns?

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 11:15:33 AM »
Yes, you can put a 20 USH on a centerfire rifle frame (SB2).
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:21:44 AM »
H&R's accessory barrel page has pretty much all the info you need about what barrels can be put of what frames. ;)

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx